OHM Space Tankers, release 1

OrbitHangar

Addon Comments
Reaction score
SpaceTankers_1.jpg

Author: yury kulchitsky

Space Tankers - two vessels which can be used for refuelling of another spaceships. One tanker (Tanker) is a simple non-reusable ship and next one is a winged reusable ship (Albatros).

Required add-ons:
Designed for Orbiter 2006 Edition, patch 1 (build 060929)

DOWNLOAD

Arrowstar

Probenaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Sweet, I've been waiting for this one for a while. Thanks!

Ark

Reaction score
Do like, the tanker seems like a good way to deliver fuel for interplanetary flights.

n72.75

Move slow and try not to break too much.
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
mwhume.space
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
Finally, my titan module was almost out of fuel.

Launching now...

flying coffin

Reaction score
I've been waiting for this one! If it can get to titan, and land back on earth
fully loaded, I'll order a fleet of them. :p

andrew

Reaction score
Question for Yury Kulchitsky: Please, help about reentery and landing procedures for Albatros. I dont find it in manual. Is Albatros AutoFSC compartible?

kulch

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Question for Yury Kulchitsky: Please, help about reentery and landing procedures for Albatros. I dont find it in manual. Is Albatros AutoFSC compartible?

I don't want to write instructions because next version will be with autopilot Buran-style. You can download Mir-2 station package, it includes Albatros deorbit and landing scenarios.

PeterRoss

Warranty man
Reaction score
Website
vk.com
I've landed this bird on manual control without any APs except of Killrot. I've decided to try standard reentry profile I use for XRs and DGs (40 dergee AOA, 1 degree reentry angle) and it worked quite well except that I've had to change AOA to 60 and still missed port of destination for a good 95 dergrees of longitude (it's good 10,5Mm)!!! I've planned to land at Spaceport Atlantica (equatorial latitude of west Africa), instead of that I made a succesfull landing at SRC. And, yes, I've cheated abit: to hold that AOA all the time I had to add ~25% of fuel via ScenEd (before reentry I had ~5% of fuel left after all orbital manoeuvres). And one more thing: Albatros made really bad thing when automatically switched off RCS at low altitude as its nose immediately fallen down at low pitch and I had to execute S-shaped bank manoeuvres to keep alt/vel profile needed for landing.

In sum, this ship really needs reentry AP or at least reentry manual.
Apart of that, it is brilliant vessel.

kulch

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I've decided to try standard reentry profile I use for XRs and DGs (40 dergee AOA, 1 degree reentry angle) and it worked quite well except that I've had to change AOA to 60 and still missed port of destination for a good 95 dergrees of longitude (it's good 10,5Mm)!!! I've planned to land at Spaceport Atlantica (equatorial latitude of west Africa), instead of that I made a succesfull landing at SRC. And, yes, I've cheated abit: to hold that AOA all the time I had to add ~25% of fuel via ScenEd (before reentry I had ~5% of fuel left after all orbital manoeuvres).
Try to reentry with 45-60 dergees of banking and no any control efforts about pitch angle.

flying coffin

Reaction score
I get the "Vital manoeuvre failed" in my install, without attachment manager
turned on so something else doesn't like it also. I'll figure out what later. I managed to do an eject burn to saturn using thrust control MFD to beef it up and 2.5 tanks of fuel with the storage tank empty. This was on an otherwise clean orbiter install, using IMFD.

When it got a little bit out of earth''s SOA, I got a CTD. I haven't tried it a second time yet. This was using the Albatross version.

Oceanic

Tutorial Publisher
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Try to reentry with 45-60 dergees of banking and no any control efforts about pitch angle.

i had the feeling that the reentry was TX like.

brought the albatros home last night. used max trim and banked crazy, it was a decent reentry. unfortunately i forgot which button was the speed brake and the runway was 20m to short for me :p

i'm really having fun with your addons thank you again!! :thumbup:

Last edited:

Zane

Reaction score
Very awesome!

I really like the Albatross. It's got great handling and crossrange during reentry, and is overall very polished.

I'd also like to propose something else... maybe a cargo variant, like Shuttle/Buran style (but unmanned, of course). Rather than 25mT of fuel, it could carry 25mT of cargo (and return some, too). Just an idea.

Last edited:

Ark

Reaction score
Very awesome!

I really like the Albatross. It's got great handling and crossrange during reentry, and is overall very polished.

I'd also like to propose something else... maybe a cargo variant, like Shuttle/Buran style (but unmanned, of course). Rather than 25mT of fuel, it could carry 25mT of cargo (and return some, too). Just an idea.

That's kinda what the Buran-T and the Space Tugs do: Deliver non-fuel cargo to orbit.

clickypens

Orbinauta
Reaction score
I was kinda thinking the same thing. An Albatros with a payload bay would be pretty cool. The difference between that and the Buran-T would be that it's reusable (and a spaceplane, which are awesome).

Nemoricus

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
That's kinda what the Buran-T and the Space Tugs do: Deliver non-fuel cargo to orbit.

The main difference between a cargo variant of the Albatross and the Buran-T and Space Tugs is that the Albatross could return cargo to Earth.

I'm sure that people will find uses for a space plane that can carry 25 mT of cargo back to the surface.