Launch News SpaceX DM-2 Launch Scheduled for May 27!

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Yep, the trampoline is working.

Tycho

Reaction score
Great launch and an exciting development in space exploration. Though I'm dubious on the return of the NASA "worm" logo. Symbolizes the post-Apollo letdown to me.

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
this Dragon is truly the first 21st century crew capsule. It's very different to anything before it, Soyuz, Apollo, shuttle, etc. It's almost like an A320 compared to a sopwith camel or a DC3.

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Tons of inertia at soft-capture... almost looked like it was going stright for full docking. :uhh:

BenSisko

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
I was tense from fuel load until SECO, mindful of SpaceX’s pad explosion with fuel load and explosion on launch just around MaxQ. The Demo-2 docking was wonderful to watch. I hope this spurs the Starliner team to bring their A game to the table! As to logo’s, the Meatball signifies NASA from its origin as NACA. I’ve never been a fan of the Worm but I can accept the Wormball. Taking the best of NASA’s past to fuel and inform NASA’s future.
786C9EC6-742C-417D-A847-2C9A47B8CAC3.jpeg

Marg

Reaction score
As an 80-ies child, I like worm logo. For me its better than meatball, font of "NASA" in meatball is way too simple...

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
A surprise thought came to mind ... it should be easy to make a GUI for Crew Dragon as it's only screens, I wonder if they will release a public simulator or code they use. It could be a great simulator instead of using Orbiter.

Remember though - this machine has a number of special computers just for drawing the fancy UI. Might take some years until you can do all this on your own PC in real time.

fort

Reaction score
Does the procedure include an identity check at the entry into the ISS?

Tycho

Reaction score
As to logo’s, the Meatball signifies NASA from its origin as NACA. I’ve never been a fan of the Worm but I can accept the Wormball. Taking the best of NASA’s past to fuel and inform NASA’s future.
View attachment 17126

Fair points. Never mind the curmudgeonry of this incurable Mercury-Gemini-Apollo purist. Progress is progress.

Does the procedure include an identity check at the entry into the ISS?

I'd expect the folks in the white room to have taken care to avoid such a mix-up -- though little surprises me anymore.

Last edited:

fort

Reaction score
I'd expect the folks in the white room to have taken care to avoid such a mix-up -- though little surprises me anymore.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ol-fA2PeI2o"]VolksWagen - Astronaut (1-2) - YouTube[/ame]

Keatah

Reaction score
So, they're calling it Endeavour. I'd prefer a different one (Enterprise would be a natural but then I'm an old trekkie with a second choice of Eagle-5), but Endeavour will do just fine.

Job well done, so far.

I, too, would have preferred a different name. "Endeavour" is name of a old rickety shuttle. And "Enterprise" is easily overused (because Trek). It also seems more appropriate for a bigger ship, not a peanut-sized transfer capsule.

Last edited:

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score

BenSisko

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Fair points. Never mind the curmudgeonry of this incurable Mercury-Gemini-Apollo purist. Progress is progress.

While I agree that progress is progress, we disagree on curmudgeonry.

kerlix

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Crew faced the direction of travel at launch, so they were lying on their back when on the pad - same as all previous craft.
What I meant by that was do they ride the ascent with their heads down towards earth, as was done with the shuttle, or head-up, meaning rotated 180* and the opposite of the shuttle attitude.

I'm not stupid. I know they weren't just sitting there in chairs as if they were sitting in a room on earth.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
They were riding like the Shuttle, heads down, for positive Gs. Heads up would produce negative Gs.

llarian

Reaction score
This flight held a special interest for many Canadians, but perhaps not for the reasons most people would know or understand. Perhaps this will offer some sort of explanation:

It's also why some of us were hoping that the Crew Dragon would have been named Eagle-5 (from Spaceball).

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
They were riding like the Shuttle, heads down, for positive Gs. Heads up would produce negative Gs.

Hmm, I don't think heads-up is any different from heads-down in terms of acceleration.
With the exception of winged vehicles, which also have aero to worry about, the heads-down attitude is better for the crew to see the horizon, thus giving them a reference point.

This said, I have no idea how it is in the Dragon. :shrug:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire

I think there are only two common reasons for that in both Shuttle and Dragon, that could be valid:

Being able to observe the horizon.
And line of sight to ground stations or TDRS.

For the shuttle, it also had no effect on the Gs to fly heads up or heads down. But it was additionally, because of the side mount, more aerodynamic, to fly heads down initially and roll heads up once clear of the denser atmosphere. But the Dragon is no side mount.

For the Dragon, the only other reason for the position that I could image is having the right AOA and bank angle after pitching ~180° for parachute deployment during an abort.

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Went to the launch video and there is a roll early in the ascent that puts the black side down, which looking at the pre-launch images is the side the crew has their heads, so it seems heads-down ascent.