Updates SpaceX Falcon 9 F5 CRS SpX-2 through CRS SpX-12 Updates

RCO

Reaction score
Looking at the video with LOX tank buckling in mind, I've noticed a couple more things that seem to fit this scenario. Right before the failure, the visible ring of vapor condensation around the Dragon seems to go asymmetric. A sort of bump appears on one side of the Dragon, as if the upper stage is deflected and air flow is being pushed to one side more than the other. Secondly, there is a small protrusion on the side of the upper stage. As the vehicle performed the roll maneuver in the seconds before failure, this protrusion moved mostly into shadow, with only a small speck still illuminated. And then, quite suddenly, for a split second, this illuminated spot disappeared and then came back into view, as if it had briefly moved into shadow. The only reason I can think of for this momentary disappearance is that the upper stage orientation is shifting its angle to the sun, which could be due to aggressive steering and/or flexure of the vehicle with rapid orientation changes of the upper stage. I think maybe the vehicle had been experiencing pretty extreme flexure and strain in the moments before failure. Shear winds could also be a factor.

Even if vehicle bowing had been detected in telemetry, it may not necessarily be immediately flagged as the cause of failure if similar bowing had been observed in previous flights without failure. And strain gauges may not detect the buckling unless the gauge happened to be right near the point of initial failure.

The good news is that, if wall buckling is the cause, then the fix may be relatively painless (compared to other imaginable scenarios). I suspect this is not a quality issue or a manufacturing issue. I suspect the dynamic loads just happened to be more extreme than what the models predicted. The problem might be addressed by several conceivable approaches: tighten upper wind constraints; adjust flight profile to be more shallow with less aggressive steering to minimize the angle of attack and associated asymmetric loading (although I think I've heard that the profile is already pretty shallow, so this may not be a practical solution); reduce the maximum cargo capacity; reduce loads with more engine throttling, limiting maximum loads to a lower level; for "work in progress" tanks, reinforce the skin in this area with additional stiffening (this fix would be a more major change, but not insurmountable. Longer term fix would be to increase the thickness profile at critical locations); increase operating pressure in the LOX tank to oppose buckling forces (although this would likely have other undesirable avalanche effects to engine operation, plumbing, hoop stress, etc.).

Pretty much all of these fixes will involve a negative impact to mass-to-orbit capability, but probably not be a show stopper. My prediction is that the vehicle will be back in operation in a few months, but with reduced cargo capacity pending possible future design changes.

---------- Post added at 05:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:04 AM ----------

I saw some other forums are placing the blame towards the COPV helium bottles. COPV being composite overwrap pressure vessels. Ill give a brief description of this - usually pressure vessels are metallic and ductile, however composites give a great strength to weight ratio but are not ductile. During some normal limit loading or even cool down from curing they can undergo whats called micro-cracking (small crack in the resin between fibers). This can cause leaks in a pressure vessel. So the solution is to have a thin metallic liner that you can also use as a tool and wind the composite over this. So use the thin metallic liner to prevent leakage while having the outer composite carry the load, and (depending on material), strength on par with titanium but 1/3 the weight you may be able to save some weight. So obviously composites have there up and down sides. Tailored stiffness is a plus but environmental effect such as water ice ingress (opening up micro-cracks) or even the cure process (to spread resin properly and remove reaction by-products). Can affect the strength. Normally they are tested to proof before acceptance, which should be a factor on top of the limit loads. And during the development stage they will certainly be tested to burst numerous times (with technicians hiding in an underground bunker). Im not sure what kind of NDT (non destructive testing they can do on the part, i doubt they can do ultrasound, maybe c-scan or xray not sure? Anyways ive read maybe one of these gave way - but i dont know - i still think maybe something attached to the wall had a poor fit. Normally composite parts sound great in a brochure but because of unknowns people still size them beefily for applications so the weight saving is never just the ratio of density versus metallic parts. So while theres a few days left to speculate - ill say the tank wall rather than pressure vessels.

He bottle failure was on my list early on. But I really think this would be obvious in telemetry. If LOX pressure were increasing, He bottle pressure would be decreasing much more rapidly in parallel. I think it would have been pretty obvious in telemetry, almost immediately after the incident, that the He bottle blew prior to or in unison with the LOX tank pressure increase.

This is why I settled on a simple LOX tank buckling as the most straight forward failure that seems to fit the data. It wouldn't be preceded by or associated with any other warning signs, other than vehicle structural stress, which may have initially been perceived as normal until further investigation.

Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
As the vehicle performed the roll maneuver in the seconds before failure

There was no roll-maneuver in that phase of flight. I am not even sure if the rocket did still slowly pitch down or was already stabilizing for staging.

RCO

Reaction score
There was no roll-maneuver in that phase of flight. I am not even sure if the rocket did still slowly pitch down or was already stabilizing for staging.

Good point. I'm not familiar with what maneuvers were planned when, and didn't mean to claim that the vehicle was rolling right at the time when the failure occurred. My point was just that there are visible protrusions, and you can follow them as they move into the shadow. It looked like rolling to me when I first saw it, but looking at the video now, I guess it could just be the shadow creeping toward the edge as the pitch changes, rather than what I perceived as rolling. It looks to me like the protrusion started out nearer the edge and moved about 20 degrees toward center. I suppose the vehicle is rolling slightly WITH RESPECT TO the camera location as the vehicle path angles across the camera line of sight, and maybe this is what I'm seeing. (The viewpoint shifts from the left side toward underside of the vehicle.) But regardless, what I'm trying to point out is that there's a highlighted protrusion standing out on the 2nd stage which very briefly passed into shadow about 8 seconds before the failure, as if there was a rapid deflection occurring. (The rolling mention was just a convoluted, confusing elaboration of how to visually track the protrusion that I'm referring to.)

Can you see the vapor cloud go lopsided right before failure? Or am I imagining things?

edit: Sorry, it looks like I edited my comment as you were replying. I didn't mean to confuse anyone, just trying to clarify my comment.

Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I'm not familiar with what maneuvers were planned, and didn't mean to claim that the vehicle was rolling right at the time when the failure occurred. My point was just that there are visible protrusions, and you can follow them as they move into the shadow. It looked like rolling to me when I first saw it, but looking at the video now, I guess it could just be the pitch changing, as you suggest, with the shadow creeping toward the edge, rather than what I thought was rolling. Tough to tell exactly what I'm seeing. But either way, there's a highlighted protrusion standing out on the 2nd stage which very briefly passed into shadow, as if there was a rapid deflection occurring.

Yeah, we also noticed it. But because of the light conditions and the distance and the resolution of the camera optics, it could also be just a specular reflection on an antenna or similar small features on the rocket.

There must not be a rapid deflection occuring, since specular reflections are only visible in a very small cone regarding the geometry of the scene, like the direction rocket to sun and the direction rocket to ground observer.

Cosmic Penguin

Geek Penguin in GTO
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
According to reports SpaceX will house a media teleconference on Monday at 19:00 UTC about this accident.

Sounds like they might have a preliminary cause... :hmm:

Frilock

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Will it be livestreamed?

Bob Clark

No, teleconference only.

---------- Post added at 02:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:10 PM ----------

Some updates here:

http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=37739.msg1406592#msg1406592

---------- Post added at 02:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:10 PM ----------

From that site:

Initial assessment. More investigation over time.

Vehicle was nominal. No issues on first stage and continued for several seconds after the failure started. Dragon communicated until below the horizon. Parachute would have saved Dragon. Future versions will have new software for that. We could have saved Dragon with the right software.

---------- Post added at 02:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:11 PM ----------

More:

Prelim conclusion is that the failure was a strut holding down the COPV bottle.

---------- Post added at 02:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:12 PM ----------

More:

One of the struts broke free during the flight. Missed in testing as stage in acceleration changes the conditions. 3.2Gs the strut appears to have snapped.

Lots of helium was released causing overpressure event.

No sign of a problem with closeout photos. So it's a puzzle. Telemetry data shows drop in He pressure, but then back to normal pressure. Confusing, but think the bottle broke free and pinched the line on the manifold and restored pressure...but released enough He to cause the failure. Speculation.

---------- Post added at 02:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:15 PM ----------

More: Not going to use these struts in the future. Not going to believe certified data. Going to test each strut.

Will be some cost increase, but nothing that would impact the actual price of the vehicle.

No other issues seen.

---------- Post added at 02:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:17 PM ----------

More:

strut issue is fairly straightforward, switching to something with higher level of performance.

won’t give a precise return to flight date until we go over all data. May be just a few months.

---------- Post added at 02:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:22 PM ----------

Someone get Harv over here, the problem* was not enough struts.

*prelim anyway

---------- Post added at 02:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:23 PM ----------

More:

No sooner than Sept for return to flight. Don't know who will fly.

Edit:

I have to leave soon so I'm just going to summarize what I'm seeing:

Struts are not built in house. Through testing of thousands of struts they were failing at well below their rated (as low as 1/5th). They will be using a different strut design by a different supplier. This will not affect their commercial crew timeline.

Last edited:

hellotoall

Reaction score
So kinda what i thought...

---------- Post added at 08:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:17 PM ----------

Funny...you would think they would stand up for their engineering mistake....but now its 'blame the vendor'....while not many custom parts are made at spacex, apart from some composite, tubes and rockets section....(most cnc and smaller part are farmed out to all local companies).....all the drawings, analysis, are still prepared, approved and signed by engineers...next time do a few more calcs...

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
It's really sad to hear that Dragon survived and could have been saved. I imagine the hardware aboard could have been saved as well.

At least it's not a serious design flaw. Oh well...

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I find this quite incredible.

Exactly. If you would try such a rate as supplier to the car industry you would be entering a world of pain. Just think of Takata, which just had a minor qualification issue.

Frilock

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Ok, I should probably clarify something here I have since found this:

"At first didn't think it was strut, tested a bunch of them and none failed at level in flight. Failed at 6000 lbs of thrust, not 2,000 lbs."

This is at a rating of 10,000 lbs, so my 1/5th figure was a mistake. 3/5th. Still very bad, but not as bad as I initially quoted them.

---------- Post added at 05:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:57 PM ----------

Here is the audio.

Last edited:

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
Here's the official report released via email less than an hour ago...
SpaceX said:
CRS-7 Investigation Update

On June 28, 2015, following a nominal liftoff, Falcon 9 experienced an overpressure event in the upper stage liquid oxygen tank approximately 139 seconds into flight, resulting in loss of mission. This summary represents an initial assessment, but further investigation may reveal more over time.
Prior to the mishap, the first stage of the vehicle, including all nine Merlin 1D engines, operated nominally; the first stage actually continued to power through the overpressure event on the second stage for several seconds following the mishap. In addition, the Dragon spacecraft not only survived the second stage event, but also continued to communicate until the vehicle dropped below the horizon and out of range.
SpaceX has led the investigation efforts with oversight from the FAA and participation from NASA and the U.S. Air Force. Review of the flight data proved challenging both because of the volume of data —over 3,000 telemetry channels as well as video and physical debris—and because the key events happened very quickly.
From the first indication of an issue to loss of all telemetry was just 0.893 seconds. Over the last few weeks, engineering teams have spent thousands of hours going through the painstaking process of matching up data across rocket systems down to the millisecond to understand that final 0.893 seconds prior to loss of telemetry.
At this time, the investigation remains ongoing, as SpaceX and the investigation team continue analyzing significant amounts of data and conducting additional testing that must be completed in order to fully validate these conclusions. However, given the currently available data, we believe we have identified a potential cause.
Preliminary analysis suggests the overpressure event in the upper stage liquid oxygen tank was initiated by a flawed piece of support hardware (a “strut”) inside the second stage. Several hundred struts fly on every Falcon 9 vehicle, with a cumulative flight history of several thousand. The strut that we believe failed was designed and material certified to handle 10,000 lbs of force, but failed at 2,000 lbs, a five-fold difference. Detailed close-out photos of stage construction show no visible flaws or damage of any kind.
In the case of the CRS-7 mission, it appears that one of these supporting pieces inside the second stage failed approximately 138 seconds into flight. The pressurization system itself was performing nominally, but with the failure of this strut, the helium system integrity was breached. This caused a high pressure event inside the second stage within less than one second and the stage was no longer able to maintain its structural integrity.
Despite the fact that these struts have been used on all previous Falcon 9 flights and are certified to withstand well beyond the expected loads during flight, SpaceX will no longer use these particular struts for flight applications. In addition, SpaceX will implement additional hardware quality audits throughout the vehicle to further ensure all parts received perform as expected per their certification documentation.
As noted above, these conclusions are preliminary. Our investigation is ongoing until we exonerate all other aspects of the vehicle, but at this time, we expect to return to flight this fall and fly all the customers we intended to fly in 2015 by end of year.
While the CRS-7 loss is regrettable, this review process invariably will, in the end, yield a safer and more reliable launch vehicle for all of our customers, including NASA, the United States Air Force, and commercial purchasers of launch services. Critically, the vehicle will be even safer as we begin to carry U.S. astronauts to the International Space Station in 2017.

Frilock

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
So it appears the my first report of the 2,000lb failure was the correct one. Its really confusing when you have multiple people reporting the same thing in different orders.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
The question arises why did SpaceX use these struts from a different supplier than other launch companies?

Bob Clark

Because there is more than one supplier for such struts and usually, if you properly specify and test the whole batches delivered, you should get no problems.

I suspect a MBA was handling the procurement of the struts and did not notice at first sight of the offer, that the struts might be inadequate. An engineer might have felt quickly that something is a bit on the too-light side.

Also, the 2000 lb and 10000lb numbers are again complete nonsense.

Since the strut was submerged in liquid oxygen, also the dynamic reaction of the strut would be a problem, how it reacts to vibrations. Cooling metal down to such temperatures could make it more brittle and it could fail at much lower vibrations and forces than at normal temperatures.