Updates SpaceX Falcon 9 F5 CRS SpX-2 through CRS SpX-12 Updates

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
You are right, there is a very tiny glow about 8 second before the anomaly, that intensifies during the final 1.5 seconds.

Its not much, just enough to reflect some sunlight on the shaded side of the second stage - but at that optical quality, it could also be caused by an antenna (or anything else protruding).

Yes, it could be something else, maybe some frost or ice still attached to that zone. We'll have to wait and see what comes out of the investigation.
Anyway, that's enough fun for today, I have to back to studying. :facepalm:

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
A reminder that a news conference is expected in 15 minutes on NASA TV.
Some delay is always likely. They've phrased it as "no earlier than 12:30 PM ET".

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
You are right, there is a very tiny glow about 8 second before the anomaly, that intensifies during the final 1.5 seconds.

Its not much, just enough to reflect some sunlight on the shaded side of the second stage - but at that optical quality, it could also be caused by an antenna (or anything else protruding).

I'm glad you mentioned that, I wondered if it was anything. It starts a few seconds after the backchill of the second stage kicks off. Something was up with that second stage.

ISProgram

SketchUp Orbinaut
Reaction score
Q~Q

I think the long-time defects in the helium pressurization bottles could have contributed in some way. A rupture of one of these bottles would explain the overpressure event of the S2.

It is bad for ISS as they lost a major hardware item, IDA-1. IDA-1 was a major hardware for the Commercial Crew Program as it would give Crew-Dragon and CST-100 somewhere to dock.

I don't think it will be a major issue, they still have two docking adapters for redundancy. While they will need to build IDA-3, the only real issue is that they won't have a redundant docking adapter/port in the future. IDA-2 should still be launching on CRS-9. And at least BEAM wasn't in the trunk.

I wonder if the IDAmount failed. Isn't it the heaviest payload in the trunk yet ?

I think RapidScat was heavier.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I think the long-time defects in the helium pressurization bottles could have contributed in some way. A rupture of one of these bottles would explain the overpressure event of the S2.

Not sure, depends on the capacity of the overpressure dump valves. From those rockets that I know, a single pressurization valve failing open is no problem at all and often not even resulting in the need to dump pressure.

MattBaker

Reaction score
Now changed to 1:00 PM ET. :p

10 bucks on NET 1:15.:p

---------- Post added at 04:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:50 PM ----------

Both commercial cargo programs had failures now. Both in the launch vehicle that they developed and built themselves, while an Atlas and a Delta, while (hideously) expensive have very, very good track records. I have the feeling this might lead to massive pressure from Washington, especially for the future commercial crew programs.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Both commercial cargo programs had failures now. Both in the launch vehicle that they developed and built themselves, while an Atlas and a Delta, while (hideously) expensive have very, very good track records. I have the feeling this might lead to massive pressure from Washington, especially for the future commercial crew programs.

Still, private spaceflight will be inevitable. The question is just, how and when.

MattBaker

Reaction score
But especially for crewed launches, safe spaceflight is inevitable.

Presser starts now, I guess I just lost a bet.:lol:

fsci123

Future Dubstar and Rocketkid
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Oh thank god they have two adapters.

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
I'm getting unusual stuttering in the feed. It's not stuck buffering, it just jumps back a few seconds occasionally. My end or theirs?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I'm getting unusual stuttering in the feed. It's not stuck buffering, it just jumps back a few seconds occasionally. My end or theirs?

On my end too. I would say stuck buffering.

MattBaker

Reaction score
Oh thank god they have two adapters.

I didn't quite understand if he meant they had two before today (which they did) or two after this.

They have two docking ports that are supposed to be set up for commercial crew with the IDA and had two IDAs for that, IDA-1 is now bust, is there a spare IDA-3 or not? Didn't seem clear to me.

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
Sounds like they don't want to delay sending up more astronauts, despite the currently limited supplies.

---------- Post added at 12:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:28 PM ----------

Water processing (recycling?) system might not last long, but consumable water will last a little longer than food.

Cosmic Penguin

Geek Penguin in GTO
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Well, since Mr. Musk mentioned that the LOX tank went weird, I wonder if it turned out that maybe something similar happened like the Progress accident - some kind of internal vibration modes in the rocket that went out of simulated scenarios (remember that the Russians also nearly pointed to tank explosion as a cause until late in the investigation).

3 supply lines out of 4 knocked down in 9 months....maybe ISS forgot to :hailprobe:?

kamaz

Unicorn hunter
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Meanwhile on Reddit:

5sWOHiC.png