Launch News SpaceX Falcon 9 Return to Flight - Iridium NEXT Mission 1 (January 14, 2017)

ADSWNJ

Scientist
Addon Developer
Reaction score
The 2 video streams (technical and public) were awesomely done. The hi-res launch, the maneuvers and boostbacks, the orientation for lading through to the bullseye landing - just stunning to watch live.

Merlin's second burn was good ... nominal orbit for the 10 x Iridium demates.

----

And successful completion after all Iridium sats have spun off. (Minor technical issue with a single ground station tracking, but the next station confirmed all OK).

Last edited:

BrianJ

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
The 2 video streams (technical and public) were awesomely done. The hi-res launch, the maneuvers and boostbacks, the orientation for lading through to the bullseye landing - just stunning to watch live.
Seconded. Spectacular views. Well done SpaceX.

K_Jameson

Reaction score
I agreee. Finally a new complete success. Great performance.

But still I don't like the flyback rockets. Still seems instinctively "wrong" to me... don't ask why... I'm unable to explain my sensation.
A concept as Skylon makes more sense in my view for the future, but it's me...

Col_Klonk

Reaction score
Interesting that they using one engine for the return trip.. right on the X too :p

Skylon (the last time I looked at it) has too many sharp edges - it'll burn up quickly.

Last edited:

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
Interesting that they using one engine for the return trip.. right on the X too :p

Skylon (the last time I looked at it) has too many sharp edges - it'll burn up quickly.

Not really. It'll be very light and low density, so they'll slow down early.
Besides, my understanding is that they'll not even be doing much of a lifting reentry. What I've seen shows a full-on, 90*AOA belly flop into the atmosphere.

ADSWNJ

Scientist
Addon Developer
Reaction score
They do a 3-engine boostback burn for the high dV launches (e.g. geostationary transfer orbit), and a single engine for low dV (e.g. LEO). This Iridium launch was to LEO, so the landing was a bit more gentle.

Still stunning accuracy though, hitting a pitching landing pad dead center, right in the open ocean.

Nicholas Kang

Tutorial Publisher
Tutorial Publisher
News Reporter
Reaction score
Here is the live webcast with some animations. Cool graphs.