Launch News SpaceX Falcon 9 v1.2 with Dragon CRS-8 April 8 2016

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
Next up for SpaceX, the return of the Dragon flying CRS-8 to the ISS. The last Dragon was on the ill-fated CRS-7 flight last June where the second stage overpressurized due to breakage of a helium tank strut just prior to staging.

Cargo for CRS-8 will include a Bigelow inflatable habitat to be installed on the station for testing. When the Dragon returns in May it will be returning biological samples from Scott Kelly's 340 day stay.

SpaceX said:
The instantaneous launch window opens on April 8th at 4:43pm ET, and a backup launch window opens at 4:20pm ET on April 9th.

http://www.spaceflightinsider.com/o...s/nasa-spacex-eye-april-return-flight-dragon/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SpaceX_CRS-8

YN1t3MQ.png

800px-SpaceX_CRS-8_Patch.png

Last edited:

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
That mission patch needs a clover.

I'm anxious to see BEAM also.

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Any word on flyback / ship landing? They haven't even released the video from the last attempt, which worries me...

Star Voyager

Space Shuttle Refugee
Reaction score
YN1t3MQ.png

The patch in the first post is NASA's patch. This is SpaceX's patch. CRS-8 is reportedly going to land on the barge.

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
YN1t3MQ.png

The patch in the first post is NASA's patch. This is SpaceX's patch. CRS-8 is reportedly going to land on the barge.

Not confirmed either way as it depends on whether or not the ASDS can be repaired in time for launch. SpaceX probably is aiming for the barge but NASA certainly won't hold the launch for it.

Personally, I think if they can't stick this one then I think they should give up on ASDS attempts for now and focus on returning and reusing cores and use the ASDS for GTO missions. Falcon Heavy core stages will have a profile closer to SES-9 (except even faster) than that of CRS-8 or Jason-3.

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
They were able to do a flyback with Orbcomm 2, which put ~ 2 tons into LEO. Dragon with supplies is 13,228 lbs. Do they have enough capability to get CRS-8 to LEO and do a flyback?

ADSWNJ

Scientist
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Can't wait to see the BEAM installed. :)

BEAM ... Basically a space tent hung on a docking port. I would need a lot of convincing that it's safe... Irrational I know, but just sayin'.

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
That's true, but you're only out there for 6 hours, a few times a year.

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
BEAM ... Basically a space tent hung on a docking port. I would need a lot of convincing that it's safe... Irrational I know, but just sayin'.

Bigelow's Genesis I and II, launched back in 2006 and 2007 respectively, are still up there. Not sure what their status is now, but they were holding temperature and pressure within prescribed limits for over 2.5 years, well beyond their 6-month test windows. They may still be under pressure now. I'd be interested to hear about them.

EDIT:

Actually Bigelow may still be getting data from these Genesis missions, but I don't know what their status is.

http://bigelowaerospace.com/bigelow-aerospace-spacecraft/genesis/

Last edited:

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
They were able to do a flyback with Orbcomm 2, which put ~ 2 tons into LEO. Dragon with supplies is 13,228 lbs. Do they have enough capability to get CRS-8 to LEO and do a flyback?

I believe they have enough fuel. That's only 6,000kg to LEO, which is well within the Falcon 9's flyback capabilities IIRC. If it were 6,000kg to GTO that would be another matter.

Messierhunter

Reaction score
I've applied for the NASA social for this launch. Applications for the NASA social will be accepted until 5pm eastern time Monday the 21st.
http://www.nasa.gov/social/spacex-crs8-social
Good news! Tonight I received my acceptance email from NASA! I'll be attending the NASA social for this launch and post behind the scenes photos and videos. The event starts on April 7th, one day before launch.

boogabooga

Bug Crusher
Reaction score
Congratulations!

Will you be able to test your tracking software?

Messierhunter

Reaction score
Congratulations!

Will you be able to test your tracking software?

Thanks! I honestly don't know if they'll let me take my scope on the bus to the viewing site. If I can, I will bring it, but only if I can keep the scope with me on the bus, not rattling around in the luggage compartment.

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Barge landing attempt according to the article.

The odds on this one are a bit better as there are wider performance margins, but given that the last one seemed to have missed the barge completely and no video was released, I'm not expecting the landing to succeed.

Col_Klonk

Reaction score
Are they still chasing that one... :facepalm:
I can see the benefits if it works 100% of the time... at some stage the cost of the barge is going to make this .. very expensive.
:)