Discussion SpaceX's Grasshopper RLV

malisle

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
SpaceX released some renders of Falcon 9 and Falcon Heavy with landing legs on the first stage:

falcon9-render.png
falcon-heavy-render.png

Unstung

Reaction score
This relatively new unlisted video mentions Falcon 9's reusability:
Why wouldn't SpaceX make videos like this public.

Also, SpaceX's website has been updated with diagrams and explanations of the Falcon 9/Heavy/Dragon.

Last edited:

Cosmic Penguin

Geek Penguin in GTO
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Yesterday the Grasshopper flew out what we now call the "Proton maneuver", intentionally flying laterally for 100m while reaching a height of 250m: :thumbup:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I like the view, when it kicks up dust during landing... now how to replicate this effect properly in Orbiter...

indy91

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I like the view, when it kicks up dust during landing... now how to replicate this effect properly in Orbiter...

Is there a Grasshopper addon for Orbiter in the works, or already released? That would be awesome, but I can't find anything...

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Is there a Grasshopper addon for Orbiter in the works, or already released? That would be awesome, but I can't find anything...

No.

(And I am not coding one)

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Well, it was pretty generic. Too bad he's not around anymore to update it.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Well, it was pretty generic. Too bad he's not around anymore to update it.

Yes... at least using some better dust particle textures would be nice. Looking like small wisps of dust.

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Good shots of the Black Dart though. :p

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I could make better ones, if I would know how. :p

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
IIRC computerex turned around the request for that dust addon in less than 24 hours, as was his way for a time. I think making the dust particles smaller started to tax the frame rate or something.

That last Grashopper video is astonishing.

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
That last Grashopper video is astonishing.

Yes it is. I am impressed. I'm wondering if they are planning a flight of the Grasshopper where they will fly it out to the altitude/downrange/velocity point where the first stage jettison would normally occur, and then fly that back. They are getting close to that capability.

I had initially wondered about fuel slosh and CG in this stage being a problem, but the more I think about it, ullage should be OK. At every point from MECO through RTLS and touchdown the fuel will be pressed to the bottom of the tank, and the stage should be able to orient and fire without fighting any sort of windsocking - the windsocking actually helps. The engines and fuel at the bottom of the stage, and a emptying upper tank that will serve as tailfeathers.

Shifty

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Yes it is. I am impressed. I'm wondering if they are planning a flight of the Grasshopper where they will fly it out to the altitude/downrange/velocity point where the first stage jettison would normally occur, and then fly that back. They are getting close to that capability

Every Falcon 9 flight from now on, starting with the September 5 launch of the Cassiope sattelite for the CSA, will feature a propulsive-return over-water test -- basically a return to hover over water -- after payload jettison. They expect problems, but are pretty confident that by 2015, they'll be returning the first stage to land.

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I don't believe they will do a RTLS per se. I believe it will land downrange from the launch site.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I don't believe they will do a RTLS per se. I believe it will land downrange from the launch site.

Yes. Very likely when they use their Texas launch site, which would permit a landing of the first stage in Florida.

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
Yes. Very likely when they use their Texas launch site, which would permit a landing of the first stage in Florida.

Maybe, but doesn't this 1) severely restrict possible orbit inclination and 2) require reshipment of stages back to the launch site?

RTLS might incur a slight energy penalty, but it removes the above issues.

Shifty

Donator
Donator
Reaction score

Did a quick calculation by watching one of the launch videos and listening to the telemetry read-outs. The upshot is that with a purely ballistic trajectory after 1st stage sep, the stage would only land 600 km or so downrange (and air resistance would mitigate even that distance), so a landing at KSC from a VAFB take-off is probably not a possibility.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Did a quick calculation by watching one of the launch videos and listening to the telemetry read-outs. The upshot is that with a purely ballistic trajectory after 1st stage sep, the stage would only land 600 km or so downrange (and air resistance would mitigate even that distance), so a landing at KSC from a VAFB take-off is probably not a possibility.
Landing at a first stage at KSC after a launch from VAFB is NO-GO as all launches from VAFB go south, over the Pacific. This is due to overflights of inhabited land is strictly prohibited.

In order to to reach KSC from VAFB within a single orbit, it must be launched towards the east which puts the flightpath over most of CONUS. I don't know about you, but I think that a majority of the population would not want something that's powered by something that can only be described as "controlled explosions" flying over them.