[Spoilers?] Star Wars Episode IX cast announced

Zatnikitelman

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I couldn't find the original topic for the new Star Wars films in general. Some might find this spoilery so read further at your own risk.
https://www.cnn.com/2018/07/27/entertainment/star-wars-9-cast-cast/index.html
They are going to re-use footage of Carrie Fisher. Also, Billy Dee Williams will be reprising his role as Lando! WOOT! With JJ Abrams coming back, I have much higher hopes for this than Last Jedi. Though I think the writing is going to play as big a role as the directing since they're going to have to carefully connect with the events from the last two (which basically took place over a few days) without just being a "few days later" continuation.

Pioneer

Reaction score
Hopefully this will somewhat redeem the new trilogy, but I seriously doubt it. The Force Awakens was a complete meh since it was just a reboot of IV and V. The Last Jedi was absolutely terrible as I was on the brink of running up and raging at the screen at the theaters (not to mention the subtle political propaganda, which made me root for the First Order). The only movie I personally found worth seeing was Rogue One of the anthology series, which I also had a few issues with but overall was great.

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
George Lucas is also reportedly chipping in on the film in some regard, although what exactly that is has not been made clear yet.

But the fact that they're reusing older footage of Carrie Fisher is actually heartening for me because it blows some of the rumored plot completely out of the water. Said plot, btw, was... well, I think it'd completely and permanently sink the franchise.

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
I can't wait to see how they make Lando into a miserable failure who dies.

I liked TFA, would have been better if JJ had fleshed out a more original script, but at least he can't remake IX into another ROTJ, because Rian Johnson kind of already did that with TLJ.

TLJ though... yea.

Last edited:

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I can't wait to see how they make Lando into a miserable failure who dies.

Also can't wait to see how Finn's character development once again gets quashed by portraying him as a buffoon who goes on pointless missions and accomplishes nothing.

Frilock

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
[ame="http://youtu.be/adzYW5DZoWs"]Star Wars: Episode IX – Teaser - YouTube[/ame]

APDAF

Reaction score
Not interested, The Last Jedi ruined my interest in the new Star Wars films.

Frilock

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
"The Rise of Skywalker"
Looks like Futurama got the name of this one wrong...
Yoda%27s_bar_mitzvah.PNG

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Part of me hopes they'll score at least one good movie in this triology, the other part holds out hope that after they're done they'll come up with something better.

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Well, I'm watching the "new" trilogy through the eyes of the (now) eight year old girl who's been curled up next to me in the theatres. She's liked TFA, but only so-so. There were moments of TLJ where she was on the edge of her seat. She LOVED Rogue One. And was pretty OK with SOLO. She's watched the original trilogy (IV, V and VI) and was "meh", she did like R2-D2, but that was about it.

It took me a while to realize, that for us people in their 50's, those of us who were wrapped up in the originals, plus read the Timothy Zahn (et al) expanded universe and invested thousands of hours of play time, comics, toons, books and movies... We are not the target audience.

It does feel like we've been abandoned. Rogue One might be all we get. And lets face it, it could undergo some serious overhaul to make it what we want.

For all I know, they could have adapted Heir to the Empire, Dark Force Rising, and The Last Command for the screen and we still would have griped about it. But I really think it'd have been better. Those books were written for us. Not hashed over in committee, but written by a fan of the movies, and written to please not only himself, but us. And he made a ton of money and grew his fan base to boot. Not only were they good enough to sell, but LucasArts used his expanded universe as a baseline for their game Tie Fighter.

I'll shell out my dollars to see the new movie. I just have to keep in mind that in order to really enjoy it, I've got to see it through the eyes of an eight year old girl. I'm sure she's going to love it.

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
I'm surprised nobody else (in this thread) has mentioned that Emperor Palpatine is somehow coming back for this one...

Zatnikitelman

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
There are plenty of ways he could have impact without "coming back." The title, "Rise of Skywalker" could mean we explore Luke Skywalker, which yes, the original trilogy did, but Palpatine and his machinations did pretty muck make Luke who he became. But I am a little worried that they'll pull some kind of "force ghost attached to the Death Star wreckage" thing. Also, that doesn't look like Endor, maybe Yavin IV? Also...the rise of which Skywalker...?

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
It took me a while to realize, that for us people in their 50's, those of us who were wrapped up in the originals, plus read the Timothy Zahn (et al) expanded universe and invested thousands of hours of play time, comics, toons, books and movies... We are not the target audience.
Hm. Being from an in-between generation and someone who saw the first two prequels before finding out that there was an original trilogy, i still struggle to come up with a coherent point of view looking from which would make TLJ enjoyable. It's just an illogical mush of procedurally generated bits.

...come to think of it, that description fits a ton of social media stuff too - a set of disjointed bits of exaggerated stories.

I'm surprised nobody else (in this thread) has mentioned that Emperor Palpatine is somehow coming back for this one...
Well, they never found the body back in the 80s...

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
Maybe there was a giant cushion at the bottom of the pit.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
We are not the target audience.

I am quite aware of that. Star Wars is above all a toy franchise, after all :lol:
In that light I can kind of forgive The Force Awakens, but The Last Jedi is just not a good movie. And you could totally target the new audience while also making a good movie.

Frilock

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
And you could totally target the new audience while also making a good movie.

The Lego Movie comes to mind. In fact the directors of that movie actually made Solo, until they were fired and replaced with Ron Howard. He then went and basically reshot the whole thing doubling its cost. This seems to be a recurring theme with Star Wars under Disney. Rogue One also underwent some pretty heavy reshoots. Even Ep 9 underwent a last minute Director change. It was supposed to be directed by Colin Trevorrow (Jurassic World) until Solo flopped and they gave it to JJ.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Yeah, there seems to be a whole darn lot of committeering going on with the star wars franchise. Maybe Disney should just open another studio that handles the franchise and take a hands-off approach from there. Seems to work well enough for Marvel Studios and Pixar...

Last edited:

Zatnikitelman

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
So here's a thought. That IS the second Death Star. If that debris came down on Endor, the impact would have been catastrophic to the local area so it makes sense that that area wouldn't resemble "the forest moon."

Last edited: