Request SRB sound

Apollo 11

Reaction score
Howdy

Can anyone make or does anyone know of a sound for the Solid Rocket Boosters for the shuttle? I think they'd add more realism to the launch.

ryan

That guy
Reaction score
I use this personally.
[ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=2287"]SSME sounds v3.1[/ame]
It doesnt really sound like the real SRBs but its close enough.

ryan

That guy
Reaction score
It probably doesn't sound like the SRBs because it's not supposed to sound like the SRBs...

Dont get fooled by the name it sounds more like the SRBs than the Main engines, anyway who knows what the main engines sound like during ascent becuase they always get drowned out by the Solids.:p

Orbinaut Pete

ISSU Project Manager
News Reporter
Reaction score
I'm working on some SSME ignition and launch sounds that are recorded from the real Shuttle.

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
anyway who knows what the main engines sound like during ascent becuase they always get drowned out by the Solids.

Well, the SSMEs always start a few seconds before the SRBs, and you can hear them pretty clearly. They sound like what they are: gi-monstrous jet engines.

Andy44

Addon Developer
Reaction score
If you want to hear them longer than 6 seconds, look for test cell footage. But they are big jet nozzles; they sound pretty much the same after a few minutes as they do after 6 seconds.

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Well, the SSMEs always start a few seconds before the SRBs, and you can hear them pretty clearly. They sound like what they are: gi-monstrous rocket engines.

If you want to hear them longer than 6 seconds, look for test cell footage. But they are big rocket nozzles; they sound pretty much the same after a few minutes as they do after 6 seconds.
FTFY ;)
Also, after a few minutes they don't sound like much at all, because by that point they're out of the atmosphere ;)

Andy44

Addon Developer
Reaction score

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I wrote it that way on purpose. A rocket is a type of jet engine.

From wikipedia:
Interesting, thanks. My point was that when you say "Jet" most people think of the kind that sits under the wing or on the tail of an airliner, and the SRBs don't really sound much like those...

Andy44

Addon Developer
Reaction score
No, but SSMEs do sound alot like jets, at least on TV. SOmewhere on youtube is old footage of the Saturn V's F1 engines being fired up in a test cell, and right before the blast noise begins there is a howling whine noise, kind of like a turbojet sound. I'm not sure if that's the turbopumps spinning up or the water suppression system, but it's truly awe-inspiring.

Edit: here it is. At about 1:58 the close-up shots start, with audio, and you can hear a howling sound right before the blast kicks in:

tblaxland

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Webmaster
Reaction score
Edit: here it is. At about 1:58 the close-up shots start, with audio, and you can hear a howling sound right before the blast kicks in:
I never tire of watching F1 ignition videos. I think it is the thrill of seeing something so powerful under such control.