Request Hakuto-R1 and SLIM landers

Gargantua2024

The Desktop Orbinaut
Reaction score
With Japan just became the fifth country to successfully land on the Moon (albeit briefly) anyone interested in making add-ons for them?
images.jpeg
Hakuto-R (Mission 1)

images (1).jpegSLIM

gamer19

Reaction score
They forgot the legs!
But congratulations.
yeah, I wonder why it flips over :unsure:
when I first heard about it flips, I thought wtf, then I saw the first pic and I go.... oh ok 😒
guess they save on weight or whatever
well look how that pays out

kuddel

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
As far as I know it didn't have "legs" in a traditional way (intentionally):

[...] Due to the slope of the terrain at the crater rim of approximately 15°, the lander used a two-step landing method in which the main landing gear should first touch the surface and then, after the targeted ignition of an engine, the lander should rotate so that it faces forward tilts and the rest of the landing gear arrives on the surface. In order to prevent damage to or inside the lunar probe, the mechanical energy during touchdown should be absorbed through irreversible deformation by additively manufactured feet specially developed for the mission, consisting of an open, hemispherical metal framework. [...]

So should have tipped over, but not that way ;)
See also:

BrianJ

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
SLIM lives! https://www.space.com/japan-slim-moon-lander-awake-after-hibernation
Managed to deploy its little rover succesfully, landed within a few meters of its target. Pretty good going (y)
Shame it fell on its head at the last moment!

Interesting and challenging trajectory to try and simulate in Orbiter.
Animation_of_SLIM_around_Earth.gif

Cheers,
BrianJ