Status
Not open for further replies.

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Yeah that looks like the way to go unfortunately.

Just started to download everything again... :(
Please hold on commits, so I can get the stuff from the lost r2159 out of the way first, and then we can move on to other stuff.

---------- Post added at 06:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:03 PM ----------

So, after hours downloading, I finally have the whole thing! Just give me a few more minutes to setup everything (orbiter/orbitersound/d3d9), run a couple of tests to make sure all is well and then I'll commit the lost r2159 changes.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Just started to download everything again... :(
Please hold on commits, so I can get the stuff from the lost r2159 out of the way first, and then we can move on to other stuff.

---------- Post added at 06:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:03 PM ----------

So, after hours downloading, I finally have the whole thing! Just give me a few more minutes to setup everything (orbiter/orbitersound/d3d9), run a couple of tests to make sure all is well and then I'll commit the lost r2159 changes.
Yeah, I think the biggest thing in the repository is the orbiter texture source file (Orbiter_blank.psd, 56 758 kB). And with the really slow connection speed that Sourceforge provides, checking out/in that file takes a long time. I'm think it should be removed to speed up the entire process.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Yeah, I think the biggest thing in the repository is the orbiter texture source file (Orbiter_blank.psd, 56 758 kB). And with the really slow connection speed that Sourceforge provides, checking out/in that file takes a long time. I'm think it should be removed to speed up the entire process.

I don't think it should be removed, since it is an important source file for SSU and we usually only need to check it out once.

But a faster VCS would be nice to have now.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I don't think it should be removed, since it is an important source file for SSU and we usually only need to check it out once.

But a faster VCS would be nice to have now.
Yes, I have wished for that for a long time. Best transfer speed I have seen is about 8 kB/s. But usually it's about half that, 4 kB/s.

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com

That is a big file, but it's not that. The download speed is quite low, and it's not limited on my end (not that it's super fast). It has always been painfull to download the whole thing, regardless of the connection, computer, place, etc.
So, I've done all the testing and it seems to be ok. I'll now commit the lost changes so then you can check if things are well in your end.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Yes, I have wished for that for a long time. Best transfer speed I have seen is about 8 kB/s. But usually it's about half that, 4 kB/s.

The main problem with the transfer speed is the communication overhead, large files actually arrive pretty well on my end. But yes, its slow, texture and mesh updates usually take a while to update.

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
The old r2159 changes are now up! Please test if it all updates well.

---------- Post added at 08:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:13 PM ----------

Question: what should I do with the new talkback stuff? After finishing commiting the changes from the last week, I was planning to switch to the IUS branch to finish the IUS/ASE/Panel L10. We could use that branch to also test for the new talkbacks, right?

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
The old r2159 changes are now up! Please test if it all updates well.

---------- Post added at 08:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:13 PM ----------

Question: what should I do with the new talkback stuff? After finishing commiting the changes from the last week, I was planning to switch to the IUS branch to finish the IUS/ASE/Panel L10. We could use that branch to also test for the new talkbacks, right?
I see no reason why not we couldn't use it for trialing the TB stuff.

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
I see no reason why not we couldn't use it for trialing the TB stuff.
I don't either. So the plan is: update the "ius-1.0" branch to the lastest revision, add the IUS project stuff, put both R13L and L10 (once Donamy finishes it) on the new talkbacks, test it to death, and merge everything with the trunk.

So, have you done the update to r2160? Did it work, so I can continue?

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I had to perform a clean check-out as well as updating to the "new revision 2159" (revision 2160) produced the checksum errors. But got it fresh and healthy from the repository. No issues building the sources.

Edit:
I think that now that the files are back in the repository and we all have performed a new checkout, this is behind us. I don't think we need to spend anymore time on this.

Last edited:

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
I had to perform a clean check-out as well as updating to the "new revision 2159" (revision 2160) produced the checksum errors. But got it fresh and healthy from the repository. No issues building the sources.

Edit:
I think that now that the files are back in the repository and we all have performed a new checkout, this is behind us. I don't think we need to spend anymore time on this.

Agreed. I'll begin "dumping" the changes from last week in a few minutes, I'm just finishing (re)testing them.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I don't either. So the plan is: update the "ius-1.0" branch to the lastest revision, add the IUS project stuff, put both R13L and L10 (once Donamy finishes it) on the new talkbacks, test it to death, and merge everything with the trunk.

I think I will then pick up the work on the Centaur again and use the new talkback code there as well for its panel, so both is based on the same code-base.

On a parallel track, I think I have the research together to create a second prototype for a Java FX 8 based mission editor, after the quick&dirty GUI prototype there. If consensus goes against Java FX (I count the vote as 1/1/1 right now), I would just keep it general and without too many SSU relations.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I think I will then pick up the work on the Centaur again and use the new talkback code there as well for its panel, so both is based on the same code-base.

On a parallel track, I think I have the research together to create a second prototype for a Java FX 8 based mission editor, after the quick&dirty GUI prototype there. If consensus goes against Java FX (I count the vote as 1/1/1 right now), I would just keep it general and without too many SSU relations.
I'm holding my vote until a working prototype can tested by the entire team. And to get extended opinions, I think it should be in the release. That way we get the true idea if it is working or not.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I'm holding my vote until a working prototype can tested by the entire team. And to get extended opinions, I think it should be in the release. That way we get the true idea if it is working or not.

What kind of minimum functionality would you need to a decision? Maybe somebody else can do a C#/WPF prototype in parallel on the same functionality so there is a fair comparison possible.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
What kind of minimum functionality would you need to a decision? Maybe somebody else can do a C#/WPF prototype in parallel on the same functionality so there is a fair comparison possible.
Well, here's my short-list of minimum functionality:

• Complete replacement of MECOCalc
  • Mission file configuration

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Well, here's my short-list of minimum functionality:

• Complete replacement of MECOCalc
  • Mission file configuration

Ok, that's no deal.

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
I guess once it is up and running on the ius-1.0 branch you can copy it to the ShuttleCentaur and use it there, thus allowing more testing to be done. I posted on the IUS thread how the talkback groups should be for all to work.
BTW: how did you update the ShuttleCentaur branch with the current trunk stuff? I want to do that with the ius-1.0 branch, as that is older than the pyramids.

If the language it isn't going to be c/c++, vb6 or assembly, then it doesn't make a lot of difference to me as I'll have to learn it. What language should be used? I don't know many languages to make an informed decision, so I can only say "NOT assembly". :lol:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I guess once it is up and running on the ius-1.0 branch you can copy it to the ShuttleCentaur and use it there, thus allowing more testing to be done. I posted on the IUS thread how the talkback groups should be for all to work.

Exactly - but mostly I want to avoid two code-bases for the same problem. DRY, after all.

BTW: how did you update the ShuttleCentaur branch with the current trunk stuff? I want to do that with the ius-1.0 branch, as that is older than the pyramids.

Simply merge trunk into your working copy, instead of reintegrating your branch into trunk.

If the language it isn't going to be c/c++, vb6 or assembly, then it doesn't make a lot of difference to me as I'll have to learn it. What language should be used? I don't know many languages to make an informed decision, so I can only say "NOT assembly". :lol:

Well, C# and Java are syntactically very similar, so the big difference is just the API. WPF and Java FX are similar from light-years distance, but WPF follows old Microsoft traditions, Java FX is still closely related to Swing.

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score

So, have you done the update to r2160? Did it work, so I can continue?

What a finally decided on what was needed to finish it ?

Status
Not open for further replies.