Status
Not open for further replies.

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
GLS , can you add warning lights for panel F6 and F8 in SSU ?

There are no warning lights on panels F6 or F8.... we are pretty limited on "new stuff" until the new dps model and the vc update are done. :(

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
GLS, Any news about VC yet ?

Right now I'm working on upgrading the 7 segment displays (the LED numbers) to the "UV" system as a test or demonstration for the new vc. When will the vc be updated I'm not sure, as it will require a lot of time by the graphics department to separate the panels and make the necessary changes to them, making the panel support structure, etc...

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Here are the initial results of the UV 7-segment displays.
attachment.php

Changed the texture to have a +/- correct segment shape and numbers (the 6 and 9 were wrong), and also decreased the red color a bit.
I had to correct the order of some points in the vc mesh as some digits were showing reversed, but other than that only a texture was changed. But more will have to be done as there is some clipping of the numbers by the adjacent number as the groups overlap.
On the code side, I created a base class with the UV code successfully used in the Talkback, and each display has a derived "controller" class with the specifics of that display. This way the panels get a bit cleaner.
Currently only panel A4 is done, I still have to convert the rest as changing the texture kinda broke all the others. :facepalm:

Attachments

• 7sd.PNG
    7sd.PNG
    141.9 KB · Views: 361

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Got all the numeric LEDs to the "UV system", except the ones on panel A8... I'll do those when that panel goes thru the "vc upgrade". The groups are overlapping so there are some artifacts and number clipping (like before), but IMO it can also wait for the major upgrade. I'm not sure if I'll do LED segment failure soon... I'd like to at least get that +/- squared away for the future generations to implement it... :lol: :facepalm:
I also did some work in the talkbacks: added some more "labels" to the texture for future panels and upgraded the TBs on panels O6, F6 and F8. As a bonus I deleted some unused texture entries in the vc mesh and the old MDU menu groups, and also did an "audit" to check with textures actually needed the "D" flag and corrected the faults. It might just be the pleasure of finishing this "sequence" of work, but the vc feels a tiny bit faster.

BTW, I also changed the switch animation angle from 45º to 33º, so it looks a bit more like the photos. The switch mesh will need work in the upgrade as it seems too long and flat.

BTW2, Edwards is one big white square now...

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
BTW2, Edwards is one big white square now...
I'm not sure what is going on. Yesterday everything was working fine, and now I can't get the tiles to load. I've done some troubleshooting and have not found any reason for why the tiles doesn't show up.

Edit:
After re-running Face's treeman utility the tiles show as they should.

---------- Post added 08-18-16 at 12:26 AM ---------- Previous post was 08-17-16 at 11:42 PM ----------

GLS: Could you tell me if you're running the archive files (.tree) or the cache files?

Last edited:

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
GLS: Could you tell me if you're running the archive files (.tree) or the cache files?

I'm running whatever is default, as I was busy with the MDUs when the new method came out and still haven't tried the new stuff. :facepalm:

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I'm running whatever is default, as I was busy with the MDUs when the new method came out and still haven't tried the new stuff. :facepalm:
Check if you have an "Archive" folder in Textures\Earth. Also, are you running RC3 or RC4?

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Check if you have an "Archive" folder in Textures\Earth. Also, are you running RC3 or RC4?

Yes I do, with about 1GB in 5 files.
I'm trying to upgrade now to RC4 and the new D3D9... not sure I will not fall asleep before... zzzzzzzzzz

---------- Post added at 12:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:26 AM ----------

Running RC4 now and it's still white (except for the runway, runway lights and lakebed markings).

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Yes I do, with about 1GB in 5 files.
I'm trying to upgrade now to RC4 and the new D3D9... not sure I will not fall asleep before... zzzzzzzzzz

---------- Post added at 12:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:26 AM ----------

Running RC4 now and it's still white (except for the runway, runway lights and lakebed markings).
And you have a folder name "Surf"? Have you tried deleting the SURFTILELIST block in the Edwards.cfg file? The tiles work for me with and without it so I never bothered getting rid of it.

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
And you have a folder name "Surf"? Have you tried deleting the SURFTILELIST block in the Edwards.cfg file? The tiles work for me with and without it so I never bothered getting rid of it.
Yes, I have a Surf (versioned), and yes deleting the SURFTILELIST does work and a surface shows up.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Yes, I have a Surf (versioned), and yes deleting the SURFTILELIST does work and a surface shows up.
So getting rid of the SURFTILELIST block works and the tiles show up fine? In that case, I'll check in an updated Edwards.cfg file.

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
It's not the best screen, but this is the first successful SSU launch from Orbiter 2016!
attachment.php

I did exactly what I said I wouldn't do, and added more "duct-tape code" to the GPCs. :lol: :facepalm: To avoid potential timing issues with moving the code triggering our 3 problematic separation events (HDP release, SRB sep and ET sep) from the post-step to the pre-step, I decided to add something that was missing and was used in these 3 same events: the Master Events Controller. So by adding the MEC (and the MEC SOP) between the source of those commands and the destination, we can trigger the separations in the pre-step call and leave the stuff at the source where it was, so less code is disturbed.
Right now, only the basic skeleton of the MEC and MEC SOP exists as I wanted to test if this solution worked. I'll add the rest of the logic in the following days.
Looks like we can now cancel the underground launch pad. :thumbup:

Attachments

• mec_fire_2.jpg
    mec_fire_2.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 481

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
DaveS, when you have the time, could you check if the PLBD latch animation is correct? It seems to me like the latches are not rotating about the green tube.
I'm currently trying to debug the touchdown points while on the pad, as at T0 the vehicle falls a bit before climbing, even though the points look to be in the correct place. If I don't ignite the SRBs, it just falls to the center of the Earth... :facepalm:

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
DaveS, when you have the time, could you check if the PLBD latch animation is correct? It seems to me like the latches are not rotating about the green tube.
They're not supposed to. The torque shafts are connected to the hooks through a crank and link system. This a chart of the PLBD C/L latch system from the PLBD and Radiator panels familiarization Handbook:

PLBD_CL_hooks.jpg

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Ok, nevermind that. :facepalm:

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Just committed a very simplified MEC that corrects the timing of the separation events, so the launches will now look more familiar. :lol:
One bug that exists, and I can't figure out, is the touchdown points not working during the launch. The vehicle has to sit on the ground between HDP fire and enough SRB thrust is developed to start rising, but the touchdown points don't work at all, no matter where I put them. If I don't ignite the SRBs, the vehicle just falls, and falls, and falls until the center of the Earth. :facepalm:

---------- Post added at 09:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:54 AM ----------

Another partially fixed issue is the drag chute CTD. I moved all the drag chute code to a class (so it has more privacy :lol:) and it now runs in the pre-step call, so no more CTDs. But, sometimes it still zooms out like there's no tomorrow... :uhh: Frame rate might be an issue there. More, if the drag chute "survives" jettison, it then goes away when it touches down, regardless of whether or not I use the new touchdown points. :facepalm:

Another change I did was to the default mission file parameters. I discovered that if no mission file is specified (the defaults are used instead), some of the optional systems/panels are not created. Stuff like the RMS or the Ku-band antenna can't be on by default with the current load state architecture, so I changed the defaults and corrected the mission files.

---------- Post added 08-27-16 at 05:59 PM ---------- Previous post was 08-26-16 at 09:31 PM ----------

One bug that exists, and I can't figure out, is the touchdown points not working during the launch. The vehicle has to sit on the ground between HDP fire and enough SRB thrust is developed to start rising, but the touchdown points don't work at all, no matter where I put them. If I don't ignite the SRBs, the vehicle just falls, and falls, and falls until the center of the Earth. :facepalm:

We can scratch this one, as I think I found the source of the issue by accident: I was browsing the Atlantis class for old/unused stuff and I'd just passed the Twang function and then came across the LaunchClamps function. "What does this one do?" I check the code and it adds forces to the vehicle... "Can't be for the twang, as that is done by the other function... hmmm, what happens if I disable this?" And sure enough the twang worked normally and then T0 came and the vehicle didn't fall. :thumbup:
I looked up old versions of the code and this function exists since day one... was it the "original" twang? Anyway, it seems like it's not needed anymore and causes problems so I'll throw it out with the other old stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.