Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
So I guess the only way is, with the range rates ?
Yes, exactly. The real shuttle crew used handheld laser range finders once they switched the Ku band Rendezvous Radar over to the comm mode along with the TCS mounted on the External Airlock truss. Also the CCTV system worked pretty good as well to visually identify rates, especially the ODS centerline camera with its crosshairs.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Yes, exactly. The real shuttle crew used handheld laser range finders once they switched the Ku band Rendezvous Radar over to the comm mode along with the TCS mounted on the External Airlock truss. Also the CCTV system worked pretty good as well to visually identify rates, especially the ODS centerline camera with its crosshairs.

That is why I think having some hand-held laser or a similar functional replacement in SSU might be nice for proximity ops. For example as functional replacement, having something like that:

"after declaring proximity, an AI crew member notifies the player by text message about the distance to the target. The distance is not updated in regular intervals, but rather by having a significant change to the last one or passing under one of the distances mentioned in the checklist"

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Very hard trying to grapple the Zarya very close in the bay, and having to switch between RCS and RMS control, as an example.

Wolf

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Would RPOP MFD be an option for proximity ops til CCTV is implemented? It is a great tool to perform rendezvous, Stationkeeping, TORF/TORVA and docking. It should be working with any Orbiter ship including SSU. We could use it with an external MFD to simulate the laptop screen they used in real life...

Last edited:

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Sometimes when I save a scenario, I will restart it and the Switches in the RMS station, do not work or animate. Is there something in the scenario I can change to fix it ?

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Sometimes when I save a scenario, I will restart it and the Switches in the RMS station, do not work or animate. Is there something in the scenario I can change to fix it ?

Sometimes the clicks for some panels (A8, F2, F4, F8) are not detected... seems to be an Orbiter issue, but I can't be sure as I think you are the first one to have this issue besides me. :shrug:

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I took every thing that had to do with payloads and Arm status from a scenario that was working, and pasted it into the one not working and renamed it. That fixed it.

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
I took every thing that had to do with payloads and Arm status from a scenario that was working, and pasted it into the one not working and renamed it. That fixed it.

It might have to do with the c.g. of the vehicle, as playing with payloads and mass seems to make this bug come and go... don't know why it only affects some panels.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
It might have to do with the c.g. of the vehicle, as playing with payloads and mass seems to make this bug come and go... don't know why it only affects some panels.
Are all of the panels created and handled the same way? If some are different, then that could explain why some of the panels are "immune" to this bug.

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Are all of the panels created and handled the same way? If some are different, then that could explain why some of the panels are "immune" to this bug.
Panels F2 and F4 are pretty much equal, and while I never had any issues with F2, panel F4 "dies" all the time. Changing the order of creation does nothing.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Panels F2 and F4 are pretty much equal, and while I never had any issues with F2, panel F4 "dies" all the time. Changing the order of creation does nothing.
OK, so the next logical question would then be: what's different between them? One of these differences could explain the immunity.

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
OK, so the next logical question would then be: what's different between them? One of these differences could explain the immunity.

The click coordinates are different (it's not that), one has a couple more switches than the other (they don't talk with Orbiter so IMO it isn't that) and one is called "F2" and the other "F4"... :shrug:

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Does anyone know if the Delta-glider has any such issues.

Haven't heard any from the Doc on the RMS out of plane issue.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Does anyone know if the Delta-glider has any such issues.
It doesn't. It most likely has something to do with our handling of a dynamic center of gravity (C.G). We keep changing it as we burn propellant while all other vessels use a static c.g that never changes so everything is static.

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
May that also have something, to do with the attachment going out of plane ?

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
May that also have something, to do with the attachment going out of plane ?

No, that's a separate issue that has nothing to do with the c.g adjustments that we are doing as it has been reproduced with the default Atlantis which doesn't do any c.g adjustments.

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
When entering the initiator command in the aft side station, it does not show. Entering the digits after that show where they should, and the whole line shows, after the terminator command is given. The SCOM says the initiator entry should flash until the termination command given.

Status
Not open for further replies.