Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Donamy: After a bit work, the v4.2 OMS pods are usable with the new 5.0 mesh. They do however need a bit of work on the front end where they slope down to meet the Xo1307 bulkhead as you can seen in these images:

SSU: https://www.dropbox.com/s/feh7insvwo3ns0o/SSU_OMS_pods.jpg?dl=0
Real Discovery: https://www.dropbox.com/s/onh7034uoryiokq/iss026e029946.jpg?dl=0

Do you think you could fix that and attach the new pod meshes to a post along with the new bottom texture?

Edit: Just make sure to resize the 4.2 OMS pod meshes so that they have the following the dimensions: 3.3953x3.2211x5.3585.

Last edited:

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I was just wondering where we stood on getting ticket #34 implemented? It's pretty old. Is there any requirement for any other system to be implemented for it to work?

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
I was just wondering where we stood on getting ticket #34 implemented? It's pretty old. Is there any requirement for any other system to be implemented for it to work?

IMO, at least the DPS and GPCs...

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
IMO, at least the DPS and GPCs...

Exactly that - we could fake it, but I doubt its much fun to implement. Having a WAIT instruction would be better for that job.

I just don't see much chances to code this part soon... still in parental leave, still not fully operational. But chances are high that my probability function collapses in a single point in geographic space soon.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
So it's the DPS that is the stopping block again? Any way of having some sort of intermediate version of the new DPS that can be worked on in parallel with the other systems?

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Are there any other systems that can be worked on without the new DPS in place? For example, the hydraulic system or even the OMS?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Are there any other systems that can be worked on without the new DPS in place? For example, the hydraulic system or even the OMS?

The C&W system works mostly without the GPCs. Same for ECLSS or TCS. Having a cabin atmosphere might be interesting. Based on that, we could start including a medical-physiological simulation of the crew, as long as we don't optimize it too much and block the possibility to have AI crew members assisting the player.

Another possibility: EVA support. We started without it some years ago, it would be a good chance to add it.

Another another possibility would also be removing the experimental guesswork from the DPS and make it possible to have multiple devs work on it. But this won't be much faster, since the problem remains that I have little time for coding right now.

Last edited:

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
The C&W needs the panel R13U matrix light to be done, and IMO it could/should be done during the vc update.
As for the rest, even though there are systems that work without the GPCs, they are still "extremely desirable" to have as they display tons of info... that not only would allow the user to "see" the system work, but it would be helpful during development. :shrug:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
The C&W needs the panel R13U matrix light to be done, and IMO it could/should be done during the vc update.
As for the rest, even though there are systems that work without the GPCs, they are still "extremely desirable" to have as they display tons of info... that not only would allow the user to "see" the system work, but it would be helpful during development. :shrug:

Yeah. Same for the OI - but this is so close to the DPS work, that it should better be done in parallel there.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Maybe the ground systems could be worked on while we have this downtime for the DPS on the shuttle? For example, the VAB is still waiting on implementation and we have that for years.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Maybe the ground systems could be worked on while we have this downtime for the DPS on the shuttle? For example, the VAB is still waiting on implementation and we have that for years.

Well, shouldn't we focus more on the space part now, after having a lot of ground part already working? If I remember correctly, the biggest problem with the VAB was performance...

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Well, shouldn't we focus more on the space part now, after having a lot of ground part already working? If I remember correctly, the biggest problem with the VAB was performance...
Performance? That was way back. The FSS and RSS is beyond the VAB now. And take a look at hutchison66's high-res LC39A/B for the shuttle fleet. No performance issues there on Win7/4690K CPU/GeForce GTX 970.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Performance? That was way back. The FSS and RSS is beyond the VAB now. And take a look at hutchison66's high-res LC39A/B for the shuttle fleet. No performance issues there on Win7/4690K CPU/GeForce GTX 970.

Call me conservative there when it is about FPS acceptance. I know too well how our performance can go down with the current meshes and I feel better should we get this a bit more evenly distributed along the mission.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Call me conservative there when it is about FPS acceptance. I know too well how our performance can go down with the current meshes and I feel better should we get this a bit more evenly distributed along the mission.
The VAB is just 46k polygons which is low by today's standards. Any decent GPU is capable of handling that with no issues.

C3PO

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
The VAB is just 46k polygons which is low by today's standards. Any decent GPU is capable of handling that with no issues.

Actually "inefficient" use of groups and/or textures can have a larger impact on frame rates than poly-count.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire

Add MLP, Crawler, STS stack to the scene and we are approaching much larger numbers. A roll-out is already a pretty stresstest there, a launch with the VAB and the FSS/RSS in the szene much worse.

Capt_hensley

Captain, USS Pabilli
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.h-10-k.com
I'LL JUST LEAVE THIS HERE...

GWS is 4.6 billion( with a B ) polys in orbit, fully assembled, low-res. A frame rate of 2, and a CTD if you press any animation key. I don't know what your dealing with, I can vouch for additive complexity causing major hits in performance. My computer was top of the line 3 years ago with tri-SLI. Needless to say optimizing trudges forward with little improvement.

I can launch SSU, but never achieve orbit, I can play in orbit but never re-enter, all without the support equipment, I'm still a novice player.

JMTC, keep trying, you will get this done. KUTGW!

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Currently, the FSS and RSS sit at a total of 449 689 polygons with the FSS being the majority owner at 377 809 polygons. The RSS is at 71 880 polygons and it is mostly finished so it won't be much beyond that (maybe 80k when everything has been done). The MLP also being mostly done is at 159 348 polygons. Estimate is for it to finish at 163k. The crawler is at 67 794 polygons (main chassis) with the drive trucks at 143 776 polygons (single mesh added four times through the code, 35 944 polygons).

Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Currently, the FSS and RSS sit at a total of 449 689 polygons with the FSS being the majority owner at 377 809 polygons. The RSS is at 71 880 polygons and it is mostly finished so it won't be much beyond that (maybe 80k when everything has been done). The MLP also being mostly done is at 159 348 polygons. Estimate is for it to finish at 163k. The crawler is at 67 794 polygons (main chassis) with the drive trucks at 143 776 polygons (single mesh added four times through the code, 35 944 polygons).

Yes... I could write a command tool to do some better statistics there, like how many material changes and how large the textures are. Should be easier than doing the math manually.

Capt_hensley

Captain, USS Pabilli
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.h-10-k.com
Yes... I could write a command tool to do some better statistics there, like how many material changes and how large the textures are. Should be easier than doing the math manually.

Not that you have to make the tool, but if you ever did make it, I would be interested in using it for obvious reasons. Thanks.

PS if anyone is wondering why a novice such as my self is still following this thread, it's because I have not given up on GWS, and learning SSU, which is at least flying will help me get into the detail oriented flight modes I will need for GWS later. Once again thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.