Status
Not open for further replies.

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Do you mean you made this changes for SSU5.0 so it is normal that the lights don't work as they should in the current release?

Sorry about the delay... for some reason this topic keeps flying under my radar... :facepalm:

Recently (months ago by now) I looked over the electrical diagrams for the panel, and found we didn't have the "wiring" entirely correct. I don't remember the specifics, but it probably wasn't something that prevented correct functionality (at least in a non-failure scenario). AFAIR it was about which (and how many) power switches had to be on so that 'light X' or 'button Y' would work.

Wolf

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Also you can change the cameras, by pressing cntrl + cursor keys, Alt + cursor keys to pan and tilt.

Too bad we cannot see the EE camera view through the aft flight deck monitors :cry:
I wonder if there is any addon (maybe a MFD) that we can use to simulate this while we wait for the monitors to be implemented..

Thorsten

Reaction score
It's a question of the rendering framework. You need the ability to render a camera view to texture in one pass, store that in a buffer, then do the main pass where you assign the buffered texture to the monitor.

An addon can't provide the function if the renderer doesn't support these things.

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
A few weeks ago I tried to use some D3D9 camera functions to see if I could create the CCTV system, but for some reason I couldn't even create a camera. :(
Anyway, that would probably have to wait for the vc update, as I'm not sure the monitor switches are "in working order".
And even if it did work, if I understand the documentation well, having both monitors on at the same time would generate flickering (but yeah, one camera view is much better than none). As for the "split screen" views, it could probably work, but again, flicker.

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
How do you do that?

The "real" CCTV system had the capability to place 2 camera views side by side, which is useful for berthing or unberthing stuff from the PLB (to view both side attachments at the same time). If I understand the way the D3D9 cameras work (or should work), the images are placed in surfaces, and I think we could copy parts of them to assemble the split view. :shrug:

Wolf

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
So I guess it is not possible to slave a camera view into an MFD...

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
So I guess it is not possible to slave a camera view into an MFD...

I'd say it's possible... but IMO it's not the direction SSU should go. If it's indeed possible to it, I'd like to put the images in the monitors.

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I love to see it for the Cupola and the SSRMS. :hmm:

Wolf

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Gingin this thread is getting "hot" :rofl: and some admin renamed it (IMHO it's a good idea since it refers directly to SSU matters) but please don't be mad at me, ok? ;)

Gingin

Reaction score
Why would I be mad ? :)

It was the goal to create a specific Questions Thread instead of asking questions in SSU development thread, which is more for technical discussion about SSU concerning developer :)

So use it as much as you need ahah

I am struggling a bit also with RMS, I have never been too good to handle this arm :)
So very instructive answer I read :thumbup:

Wolf

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
SSU Orbit targeting

The phasing of an orbiting target should be assisted by Mission Control (supplying the target datas for all OMS burns down to the MCC burn from where the Shuttle is close enough to the orbiting target and the burns are self computed and backed up by Mission Control). I understand that M.C. support is in your plans for future release so the question is:
How do we get the datas for the phasing and rendezvous burns BEFORE MCC? is it just trial and error? I have all the burns data (the real ones) from STS-130 and I tried to simulate the ISS rendezvous using those targets (same Dv's, same TIG's, same HA and HP) but I went no near to the ISS (maybe cause I haven't activated the orbital perturbations such as Nonspherical gravity sources, etc. in Orbiter...?)
Also, for correct rendezvous burn calculations we need the value of the Elevation angle relative to the target which we do not have since REL NAV is not implemented yet.
Is there another way to get the Elevation value?
I was also wondering what the TARGET_XXX does if entered in the scenario file (some of them have the ISS as target). Is this a way to "tell" SSU where the target is relative to its position and is it used to feed SPEC34 with the datas that are then loaded in MM202 for the rendezvous burns?

Gingin

Reaction score
Hey Wolf,

For the spec 34 to have a target , you have to specify in the scenario some special code line.
I am not on my computer now, I will send you later what you have to modify .

For the rendez vous process , its quite hard to follow exactly the official procedure .
When I will be on my computer, I will write you how I do, but it takes quite some try and time to find the perfect phasing and approach burn.

Typically a good start is to be on an orbit 30 nm lower than target to have a good catching rate and and ok have same line of apside , same apogée perigee.

Spec 34 is really useful in the last part of approach when you are at one orbit from rendez vous

Wolf

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Thanks Gingin! From what I understand in order to use SPEC34 you don't only need to have the TGT_VESSEL XXX(name of the vessel) but you have to feed the scenario file with more datas...

I'll wait for your hints then. I'd really like to know if there is a method we can apply as a general rule for phasing and rendezvous (rather then using some Orbiter MFD's like SyncOrbitMFD or RendezvousMFD)

Gingin

Reaction score
For Spec 34, I was able to use it efficiently in being sure that those lines ( specifying target ie. ISS or Zarzya or whatever is in the scenario file) are in the scenario:

rSMibg.png

I am using just Orbit MFD and Docking, MFD for the last part, coupled to the RR radar for final approach.

Usually, after OMS 2 and once on stable orbit, I try to create a circular orbit 30 Nm below target orbit.
I try to do burn at apogee/perigee of the target orbit using Orbit MFD for the timing (TIG) of the burns.

The trick here is to have same line of apside, and coplanar orbit (doing some out of plane burn at node to have 0° of RINC)

The good thing about having same perigee and apogee than the target orbit is to be able to read the angular difference between the two body from center of Earth ( difference of phase)
To do it, you can calculate the difference between true anomaly for both object ( it's the angle between perigee and position of the object on its orbit)
You can read it on Orbit Mfd next to TrA.

For example, Shuttle has TrA of 10 and ISS of 20, thus the difference of phase is 10 °.
You are on a lower orbit, so you will catch up ISS, that difference will decrease every orbit.

Here is a graph to calculate by how much of ° you will catch up the target at every revolution.

bcjNtI.jpg

For example, Shuttle is on a circular orbit of 150 Nm of radius and ISS is on 200 NM.

You sum up apogee and perigee for both, Shuttle its 300, ISS 400, you go into the table and you deduce a catch up rate of 8° per revolution.
Our difference was 10 ° in the example above, so in almost one orbit, you will have catch up ISS

It's how you do phasing. You can decrease the rate or increase it by lowering, increasing the orbit of the chaser (Shuttle)

After, it's a bit of experience and try to decide when you will do final insertion burn etc using Spec 34.

You have to raise your orbit around 50000 feet ( 10 Nm) below target ( catch up rate will reduce) and when you are at a few degrees ( you can see it visually on Orbit MFD when both objects are almost at the same position), you can start to enter some specific coordinate and time you want to reach ISS in Spec 34.
For example, a TIG at perigee, DT 45 mn later to do the rendez vous at next apogee, DX 0 DY 0 DZ 0,6 to be just 600 feet below ISS on +Z axis ( R BAR) and then initiate TORVA.

Gonna try to illustrate that with pictures once I am back from work next week.

Hope it's gonna help you !

Honestly, it's really rewarding but it takes time and many tries sometimes

Wolf

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Thanks a lot Gingin :thumbup:, very good idea to use the TrA as a reference for phasing.
As far as Rendezvous is concerned it seems that the only entry required into the scenario file is a target in the StrateVector Software section and nothing else. So I guess SSU calculates the target state vectors and gives all the required burns targets to the GPC (SPEC34)...

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Usually, after OMS 2 and once on stable orbit, I try to create a circular orbit 30 Nm below target orbit.
This is not really how it's supposed to be done. There's in fact several rendezvous burns done (designated as NC burns and the first NC burn usually takes place on Flight Day 1).

Here's a list of the NC burns done during the STS-114 rendezvous sequence:
-NC1, TIG MET 00/05:03:47.264 DUAL OMS
-NC2, TIG MET 00/16:16:31.264 DUAL OMS
-NC3, TIG MET xx/xx:xx:xx:xxx CANCELLED RCS MULTI-AXIS, MERGED WITH LATER NC4 DUAL OMS BURN
-NC4, TIG MET 01/16:36:34 DUAL OMS

Gingin

Reaction score
Yep, I know for NC ,NCC etc . I just wrote a simplify procedure to start with :)

Can we have access also to duration, DV, orientation of the different burn?
So far, I just found TIG and nature of burn.

So I gave up for now being very precise with timing, and I just follow general philosophy from Rendez vous and Prox Ops workbook.

Wolf

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Yep, I know for NC ,NCC etc . I just wrote a simplify procedure to start with :)

Can we have access also to duration, DV, orientation of the different burn?
So far, I just found TIG and nature of burn.

So I gave up for now being very precise with timing, and I just follow general philosophy from Rendez vous and Prox Ops workbook.

STS-114 Flight plan has a section called ATTITUDE TIMELINE (if I remember well) that contains all the details of all burns. For some reason NASA withdrew that very useful section for later missions (I have the STS-130 from History of Space Shuttle Rendezvous doc).
As I said before I tried both missions following exactly the real targets and datas but with no luck..

---------- Post added at 10:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:44 PM ----------

There is actually a way to refine your timing for rendezvous: use SyncOrbit MFD and setup the number of chase orbits you need in order to rendezvous at the desired time, then when you are 2 orbits away from rendezvous you can use SPEC34 for the NCC,Ti and MC burns. I used to do that with the Fleet and it works, you just need to be at the right distance and right Apa and PeA when you reach the last two orbits before the NCC burn. With SSU though I am not that happy to use non real MFD's..

Last edited:

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
When following "historical data", be sure to use dV and not burn time, as dV is what matters and burn time depends on the mass of the vehicle.

Status
Not open for further replies.