Not open for further replies.

Gingin

Reaction score
Thank guys, very interesting.

Gonna have a look to sts 114 flight plan
Do you have a link?

Gingin

Reaction score
Ok Înever looked at the end of flight plan stuff.
Very interesting attitude timeline.

Wolf

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Too bad they removed the Dv's from the other missions' Attitude Timeline and they totally deleted the section in later missions :shrug:

Wolf

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Small question about Star Trackers: can you confirm the covers are stuck close and cannot be opened in Rev.4.2 (the cockpit switches do actually move but they seem to have no effect on the opening/closure of the covers) or am I missing something here?
Thanks

---------- Post added at 01:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:12 PM ----------

Second question of the day: How far is the QBand antenna able to track the target? In the real Shuttle they were able to use radar navigation quite far from the ISS (about 45' before Ti burn which is around 120.000 feet/20NM range from ISS). With SSU, even setting the Radar output HIGH, I can only track the target a few miles away from it

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Small question about Star Trackers: can you confirm the covers are stuck close and cannot be opened in Rev.4.2 (the cockpit switches do actually move but they seem to have no effect on the opening/closure of the covers) or am I missing something here?
Thanks

---------- Post added at 01:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:12 PM ----------

Second question of the day: How far is the QBand antenna able to track the target? In the real Shuttle they were able to use radar navigation quite far from the ISS (about 45' before Ti burn which is around 120.000 feet/20NM range from ISS). With SSU, even setting the Radar output HIGH, I can only track the target a few miles away from it
Nit: It's Ku band(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ku_band), not Q band.

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Thanks
The covers don't work yet.

I don't know what the max range is, but it doesn't matter right now as the only output of the antenna is on the displays of panel A2, and that only shows a max range of 9999ft. :shrug:
One factor that influences the range is the size of the target: bigger target = more signal reflected = more range. I don't know what ISS you are using, but if you are using Donamy's ISS, which has the modules as individual vessels, the radar does not see the whole ISS, but only module X or Y or Z. This means that only the size of the module is used, thus reducing the range. Maybe we can modify the radar so that after it finds an object, it goes thru what is attached or docked and takes into account those objects as well.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
The covers don't work yet.

I don't know what the max range is, but it doesn't matter right now as the only output of the antenna is on the displays of panel A2, and that only shows a max range of 9999ft. :shrug:
One factor that influences the range is the size of the target: bigger target = more signal reflected = more range. I don't know what ISS you are using, but if you are using Donamy's ISS, which has the modules as individual vessels, the radar does not see the whole ISS, but only module X or Y or Z. This means that only the size of the module is used, thus reducing the range. Maybe we can modify the radar so that after it finds an object, it goes thru what is attached or docked and takes into account those objects as well.
I don't think we have to do that. The Ku RR is powerful enough to see the HST from the same range and it's far smaller than ISS now is. It kinda shrunk a bit after the fourth servicing mission (SM3B in March 2002) replaced the second generation solar arrays with the rigid third generation arrays. Up until that point it was about the size of Unity (Node 1) and Zarya (FGB) docked together after ISS 1A(STS-88).

Wolf

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
I think there is maybe a bug with the ET Umbelical Doors settings in the launch scenarios:
the switches position on panel R2 are wrong, they should all be in GND position but the latches ones are in LATCH and the doors' ones in CLOSE (the tb's though are still showing the correct configuration). As a consequence of that it is impossible to close and latch the doors after ET SEP. Also the switches cannot be moved to the OPEN/REL positions...
This is a pre-launch screenshot:

UMB_SWTCH.jpg

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I think there is maybe a bug with the ET Umbelical Doors settings in the launch scenarios:
the switches position on panel R2 are wrong, they should all be in GND position but the latches ones are in LATCH and the doors' ones in CLOSE (the tb's though are still showing the correct configuration). As a consequence of that it is impossible to close and latch the doors after ET SEP. Also the switches cannot be moved to the OPEN/REL positions...
This is a pre-launch screenshot:

View attachment 15282
To close the ET umbilical doors, you need to stow the centerline latches first. These latches hold the doors open and prevents the doors from moving as they're T-shaped and fits into slots along the outboard edges of the doors.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/b7ehtq7tmi05liu/ET_umb_door_cl_latch.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ox9wm58o7ch43re/ET_umb_door_cl_latch2.jpg?dl=0

Wolf

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
To close the ET umbilical doors, you need to stow the centerline latches first. These latches hold the doors open and prevents the doors from moving as they're T-shaped and fits into slots along the outboard edges of the doors.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/b7ehtq7tmi05liu/ET_umb_door_cl_latch.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ox9wm58o7ch43re/ET_umb_door_cl_latch2.jpg?dl=0

My apologies. The switches are actually in the correct position, they just looked wrong from my view. please disregard this post

Wolf

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Who is part of the SSU development Team?

AFAIK presently the team is formed by:

-Urwumpe (Germany)
-GLS (Portugal)
-DaveS (Sweden)
-Donamy (USA)

I also know SSU project started using SiameseCat's Space Shuttle Deluxe as a platform and I wonder if he ever joined the Team.

Am I missing anybody else currently working on the project?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire

-Urwumpe (Germany)
-GLS (Portugal)
-DaveS (Sweden)
-Donamy (USA)

I also know SSU project started using SiameseCat's Space Shuttle Deluxe as a platform and I wonder if he ever joined the Team.

SiameseCat is part of the team as well, though currently silent.

Also Poscik is a regular contributor to SSU. And we have zerofay32, who helps us with the documentation. 1hippienaut1 did also contribute to SSU. I really hope I did not forget somebody now. :facepalm:

Wolf

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
SiameseCat is part of the team as well, though currently silent.

Also Poscik is a regular contributor to SSU. And we have zerofay32, who helps us with the documentation. 1hippienaut1 did also contribute to SSU. I really hope I did not forget somebody now. :facepalm:

So we could say SSU is sponsored by the following "Countries":
CANADA, GERMANY, POLAND, PORTUGAL, SWEDEN, USA

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
So we could say SSU is sponsored by the following "Countries":
CANADA, GERMANY, POLAND, PORTUGAL, SWEDEN, USA

And we especially like to thank all ITAR officials at NASA for their kind support. :cheers:

(Also, especially in the beginning of SSU, it was very helpful to have access to the full AIAA library for free via the Technical University of Brunswick, I really miss that possibility sometimes...)

Last edited:

Wolf

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
And we especially like to thank all ITAR officials at NASA for their kind support. :cheers:

(Also, especially in the beginning of SSU, it was very helpful to have access to the full AIAA library for free via the Technical University of Brunswick, I really miss that possibility sometimes...)

Ok thanks. In case you were wondering why such as bizarre question, I am in the process of doing some Checklist for SSU with the aim to attract more users. Based on comments on OF (and my personal experience) it seems like many people are interested in SSU but they refrain from trying it since they are afraid of its complexity. I thought that releasing some guidance in the form of simplified checklists/manuals/tutorials could help those who are not willing or do not have the time to go through the NASA docs.
Of course this is nothing official (unless you guys are willing to help/check my job before release) but I'd like to create a SSU LOGO for the support docs/checklist I am doing

This is just an idea

SSU_LOGO_01.jpg

Last edited:

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score

-Urwumpe (Germany)
-GLS (Portugal)
-DaveS (Sweden)
-Donamy (USA)

AFAIK, kwan3217 was the mastermind behind Space Shuttle Deluxe from which SSU evolved. SiameseCat had nothing to do with SSD: http://www.orbiterwiki.org/wiki/Space_Shuttle_Deluxe

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Well, I can am personally not too happy about having national flags on the logo for the following reasons:

• Its a bit exclusive, except we plan to change the logo when ever somebody from a new country contributes to SSU. And I want more people to take part, not less.
  • Its a personal effort by individuals in their free time, not a national effort. And if its not all about this Shuttle, its really about those people.
  • (I am German, I prefer to only use my national flag for a short time every two years. ;) )

Status
Not open for further replies.