Star Wars: SOLO (spoilers abound)

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Well love it, hate it, or just meh, it's here.

I myself thought it was OK (I was glad I paid a matinee price). The kiddo (she's 7) loved it.

No mystical force and no lightsabers. I thought Donald Glover nailed his role as Lando, and to see the 'Falcon in pristine condition was pretty cool.

dbeachy1

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
alteaaerospace.com
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
I saw it opening night and liked it -- it felt very much like a "Star Wars Universe" movie to me, and it was cool to see how Han and Chewie first met, and how Han ended up with the Millennium Falcon. :tiphat:

To echo PhantomCruiser, I also thought that Donald Glover did a great job as a young Lando Calrissian (the card game was LOL!). I also liked Woody Harrelson as Tobias Beckett. :thumbup:

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Didn't see it yet. There's only really one question the movie has to answer: Is Han the kind of guy that shoots first? :lol:

dbeachy1

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
alteaaerospace.com
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
Didn't see it yet. There's only really one question the movie has to answer: Is Han the kind of guy that shoots first? :lol:

Yes. In fact, he DOES in this movie: I'm not gonna spoil it (yet), go see it! :thumbup:

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Something that I thought I might have heard...

There was a little scuffle and as they were moving off I could have sworn I heard Emelia Clarke say "Drogo taught me that". Could just have been my imagination :shrug:

dbeachy1

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
alteaaerospace.com
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
I remember some phrase like that, too! Gotta love the reference to her Game of Thrones work. Or maybe my brain just filled that in when hearing something else. :)

jgrillo2002

Conservative Pioneer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Good lord. the movie was that bad, except for the effects, they were great. They put in a droid that has the same mentality as a SJW. I facepalmed number of times and its getting ridiculous. At least we did see how the Kessel run was made, What Kessel is and what the Maw looks like.

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
I liked it. It does not cross the threshold of awesome like Rogue One did, but it is still a decent movie.

I was expecting all sorts of obtuse fan pleasing and driving the tropes home like Han explicitly having a habit of shooting first, but they managed to avoid that and just make a movie that is, broadly speaking, in character.
It carries no surprises, but it provides a spectacle.

The ending scene was a bit confusing, however.
Wasn't that guy supposed to die like 40 years earlier?
Or was it some other character of the same race who is also a sith?

They put in a droid that has the same mentality as a SJW.
That did feel a bit anachronistic, but not unbelievably so - after all, droids being captured and sold as slaves is a significant plot point in Star Wars, the original one.
Also that role being played by an explicitly bonkers droid felt more like a parody of SJWs than an endorsement of them.

Last edited:

jgrillo2002

Conservative Pioneer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
You mean Darth Maul? He actually survived That lightsaber slash and as since operated that crime syndicate

---------- Post added at 01:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:16 AM ----------

That did feel a bit anachronistic, but not unbelievably so - after all, droids being captured and sold as slaves is a significant plot point in Star Wars, the original one.
Also that role being played by an explicitly bonkers droid felt more like a parody of SJWs than an endorsement of them.

Actually, alot of fans believe that it was injecting SJW ideas in these new star wars movies. I also support that. but im getting off track. the story writing was a little cheesy and was too predictable for me. :facepalm:

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
Yea, Darth Maul survived being cut in half. It was pretty funny to hear the WTF reactions in theaters.

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Obi Wan finally finishes the job right before A New Hope (I think?)

Zatnikitelman

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I just saw it today. I enjoyed it, but not nearly as much as Rogue One. To me, it didn't feel as connected to the "main" Star Wars universe. I don't mean we need Jedi, or major parts of the Rebellion, but...I don't know, I can't explain it right now, but it definitely felt disconnected. Maybe instead of that random refinery planet, that could have been Tatooine, or Naboo. Maybe that ice planet could have been Hoth, and it used to be a lush temperate planet, but something goes wrong in the heist and the entire train of fuel blows up sinking the planet into a permanent nuclear winter. It is a big galaxy and part of the point of these movies seems to be to expand the universe, but we also need something familiar to hold onto.

Though this does seem to close something of a plot hole (which in realty would be a retcon). In The Last Jedi, fuel was a big deal. But why wasn't it a big deal ever before? It was, just thanks to Han's heist here, the Rebellion, even 10 years later, had more than enough fuel to operate their fleet and fighters.

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Saw it today. Liked it. I agree that it doesn't measure up to Rogue One, but it's a decent effort, the characters are likeable and interesting, the story was okay.

I like that we get a lot more of Chewbacca character development in this than in any previous SW film. Seeing him and Han build that friendship and trust amongst a bunch of criminals and dirt bags was good. And Chewie's competence as a pilot predates his friendship with Han.

Seeing the Falcon go from bran new to scuffed and dinged irks me a little; If it were my ship I'd get that forward cowling replaced along with that cool landing light it had on the nose. And for pete's sake, Han, maybe wipe down the bulkheads and upholstery once in a while? She sure was pretty when she was new.

Lando's crazy revolutionary-minded droid L3-37 was one of my favorite characters. "SJW"? Hardly. She had no problem getting into a brawl to liberate enslaved droids. Also, I thought it was a great nod to all the fans who've been talking in recent years about how in the Star Wars universe droids are simultaneously considered sentient companions as well as expendable property. L3 was funny and likeable and it was genuinely sad when she died.

I'm not sure what the deal with Darth Maul is. One thing I hold to is that a movie series has to stand on its own. If it requires me to have knowledge of a cartoon or a book to understand what I am seeing on screen, then it has failed on this point. If a future movie explains Maul's survival of being cut in half and falling a long distance, good.

And they definitely set this up for a future film. Qi-ra's story is not finished yet, and I'd like to see what happens with that character.

In The Last Jedi, fuel was a big deal. But why wasn't it a big deal ever before?

I don't know what you're talking about. There was never any such movie called "The Last Jedi." It simply never happened...

Frilock

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Its that time boys and girls:

The verdict is in

First off, I love how BOM's url points to this movie as 'untitledhandolostarwarsanotholgyfilm'.

Second finishing at less than 380 million WORLDWIDE, this movie is now so deep in the red, its unlikely DVD/bluray can even bring it positive.

Its unreal that a movie could make that much and still be a flop, let alone that all of this could come from a Star Wars movie, but here we are.

380/2- $190,000,000 <-Studio's portion of ticket sales, roughly.
+80,000,000 <-Using 'The Last Jedi's' DVD sales, not counting streaming because there is no good way to measure, also not counting production costs of DVD
-$300,000,000 <-Minimum production budget, not including marketing
= -$30,000,000

:facepalm:

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
And yet it was a decent Star Wars movie.

While Last Jedi is awful and it made dump trucks full of cash.

There is a relationship between film quality and profits, but it's not by any means the only factor.

Last edited:

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
That's a shame.
Guess it came hot on the heels of the movie-that-must-not-be-named, which severely dropped the willingness of people to watch it.

I wonder what would have happened if Disney skipped the whole new trilogy thing and concentrated on making these EU movies. Would they have been much better or much worse?

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
So I finally watched it (time runs differently in my little pocket universe, appologies), and got to see a far better movie than I was expecting after all the fuss and backlash. which I didn't really pay any attention to, but it was large enough that a person thouroughly uninterested in it still noticed that it was happening, though without any specific details.

It's not great, but I found it a thouroughly enjoyable watch, certainly much better than the last jedi. The only thing I thought was really out of place (and also entirely irrelevant to anything that was going on) was the space kracken (and the all-caps in the intro text... That almost seemed like a shout-out to spaceballs "if you could read this, you don't need glasses"). Loved L3 as comic relief droid, and Lando just bloody nailed it. I want a Lando movie now...

Frilock

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
[ame="http://youtu.be/UImXWiDFAoE"]Everything GREAT About Solo: A Star Wars Story! - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://youtu.be/4WoTyaXGV4s"]Everything Wrong With Solo: A Star Wars Story - YouTube[/ame]