OHM Star Wars X-Wing

OrbitHangar

Addon Comments
Reaction score

Author: stevcast

Star Wars X-Wing (Upgrade)

Thanks to jacquesmomo, the X-Wing now has workable wings and landing gear!! What would have taken me an eternity to figure out, he did in a less than a weekend. 

Mesh found at Celestia Motherlode, compiled by jestr.

Model was made by Don Showalter, downloaded from 

www.theforce.net/scifi3d, modified by jestr.

Textures came from www.3dheaven.net

"K" = opens canopy

"G" = landing gear

"LShift + NumPad 1 = Wings

"LShift + NumPad 2 = R2D2

"F1 then F8" for virtual cockpit

Thanks to BrianJ, Kendo, and decpau for their help and suggestions, and a very, very

special "Thank You" to jacquesmomo for the great work he did on  animating the wings

and for adding the landing gear!! Merci beaucoup!!

Compatible SDKs: spacecraft 3

stevcast and son

DOWNLOAD

stevcast

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Lovely mesh! Good work!:thumbup:

Thank you!! Coming from you, it means a lot. The only thing that we are a little disappointed about is that we tried for two days to try to get the wings to animate. My son and I got the wings in to four separate meshes, and were ready to start on the animation when we realized that the textures were all messed up. As much as we tried, we just couldn't get the textures to work, but it still is a cool ship (thanks to jestr, Don Showalter et. al.). :cheers:

Kendo

Reaction score
Steve, would it have been possible to retexture the wings, then you could have amimated them.?

stevcast

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Steve, would it have been possible to retexture the wings, then you could have amimated them.?
We tried everything to retexture the wing, but when we exported the mesh and looked at it in Orbiter, it was always messed up. It may be that my anim8or is corrupted...I really don't know. When we exported the original mesh with the detached wings for animation, we got different results with the textures after every export. After 12-15 attempts, we decided to let it R.I.P..
I am not an overly proud person, so if there is anyone out there with more experience than me who would like to get the wings working (and/or landing gear???), I would be more than happy with the help and/or the results. The whole point is to try to have ships etc. that everyone can enjoy.

One thing I should add...when we looked at the textures in anim8or, they were fine, but it was when we exported them that they seemed to get corrupted.

stevcast

Last edited:

jacquesmomo

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
francophone.dansteph.com
I tried your vessel, and and it is true that the mesh is nice, but wings animation is lacking ...
When (and if) I have time, I w'll try to see it, and if I can do something, I'll tell you ...

(It is I who made "Tintin on the Moon", and I'm getting good with Animator ...)

stevcast

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I tried your vessel, and and it is true that the mesh is nice, but wings animation is lacking ...
When (and if) I have time, I w'll try to see it, and if I can do something, I'll tell you ...

(It is I who made "Tintin on the Moon", and I'm getting good with Animator ...)

jacquesmomo, that would be fantastic!!!! Here is the file from Celestia Motherlode by jestr. Having an X-Wing without the "X" just isn't right. Thank you very much! :cheers:

stevcast

Attachments

• SW-X-wing.zip
    3.9 MB · Views: 1

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
While your in this genre, could I suggest taking a crack at the Z-95 "Headhunter"? There was a good representaion on it in the first person Jedi Apprentice game.

stevcast

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
While your in this genre, could I suggest taking a crack at the Z-95 "Headhunter"? There was a good representaion on it in the first person Jedi Apprentice game.
Hi PhantomCruiser. Seeing as I am now semi retard... :p retired, anything is possible. As a matter of fact, my son suggested the same thing just a couple of days ago. We have a number of projects we want to do, and if we can find a good mesh to work with (meshes are definitely not my forte), we'll see what we can come up with.

stevcast :thumbup:

jacquesmomo

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
francophone.dansteph.com
jacquesmomo, that would be fantastic!!!! Here is the file from Celestia Motherlode by jestr. Having an X-Wing without the "X" just isn't right. Thank you very much! :cheers:stevcast
Thanks !

I'll try next week (end?)...

---------- Post added 06-20-13 at 07:09 AM ---------- Previous post was 06-19-13 at 06:19 PM ----------

Work in progress... seems ok...:thumbup:

jacquesmomo

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
francophone.dansteph.com
And voila ! :tiphat:

I have been quicker than expected. I just have had a problem with one wing (strange..) but I have found how to fix this.

Here are the modified files :
- ini-file with new animation
- msh-file with wings cut into 2 pieces

Command-Keys are :

- K for canopy (same, no change)
- G for retract/deploy wings (you can change it, up to you...)
- LeftShift+1(numpad) to make R2D2 moving a little
same to stop...
(if you don't like this, you can delete it...)

And by the way: it would be nice to make landing gears, what dou you think about this ? :p

I'm waiting to know what you thing about this, and... about wings...

Hi... and see you soon... here ! :cheers:

Last edited:

stevcast

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
And voila ! :tiphat:

I have been quicker than expected. I just have had a problem with one wing (strange..) but I have found how to fix this.

Here are the modified files :
- ini-file with new animation
- msh-file with wings cut into 2 pieces

Command-Keys are :

- K for canopy (same, no change)
- G for retract/deploy wings (you can change it, up to you...)
- LeftShift+1(numpad) to make R2D2 moving a little
same to stop...
(if you don't like this, you can delete it...)

And by the way: it would be nice to make landing gears, what dou you think about this ? :p

I'm waiting to know what you thing about this, and... about wings...

Hi... and see you soon... here ! :cheers:
jacquesmomo, excellent, excellent work!!!! The wings are great, and they add so much to the ship!! If you would like to add landing gear, I think it would make this an exceptional add on. This has definitely got to be a joint effort, and I am very thankful that you decided to help. If you have the time, and you would like to try to add landing gear, please do! Right now, I am just so excited to see those wings move!! Before I update the X-Wing, I will wait for the landing gear so it is a complete package. Please accept my sincerest "THANK YOU", and I look forward to your upgrade.

stevcast and son :thumbup:

jacquesmomo

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
francophone.dansteph.com
Before I update the X-Wing, I will wait for the landing gear so it is a complete package.
Ok, I'll try next saturday/sunday to make landing gear.. :hmm:

Here is the begining (no textures yet)

48da.jpg

Last edited:

stevcast

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Not only am I grateful, I am impressed!! It looks really good, and I can't wait to see the finished ship. I am sure that everybody that downloads the ship will be very pleased. Once again, Thank You so much!!

stevcast and son :thumbup:

jacquesmomo

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
francophone.dansteph.com
Not only am I grateful, I am impressed!!

Thank you...:cheers:

Here the new files (ini & msh) for your X-Wing : now with the "new" landing gears...

commands :
K = canopy
G = landing gears
Shift+1 = Deploy wings
Shift+2 = R2D2 "shaken"

I hope the animations for the gears will please to you.

I'm Happy to help you ... if you need something else... tell me, if I can...
Don't forget to modify your scn "in orbit" : the gears should not be deployed, and the wings yes...

friendly

Last edited:

stevcast

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Many,many thanks

Thank you for you thoughtful help and consideration!! The work that you did made a good ship, in to a great ship!! I am going to get the X-Wing and it's upgrades added to OHM right away. Once again, I can't thank you enough!!!
Your future help is very much appreciated, although I will try may best to do all I can by myself in order to learn as much as I can.
Best regards and talk to you soon!! :thumbup:

stevcast and son

Kendo

Reaction score
Well Steve, you are dealing with a great addon maker here. :tiphat:

stevcast

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I do have a question for jacquesmomo...I am in the process of upgrading the X-Wing, but the Shift-1 and shift-2 (i.e., wings and R2D2) are also linked to the RCS. Is there any way to add command buttons to the keymap in Orbiter, or some other buttons we can use to avoid using the same buttons as other key commands?

---------- Post added at 04:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:13 PM ----------

Well Steve, you are dealing with a great addon maker here. :tiphat:
I have to agree Ken! The only bad part is that he makes it look so easy (lol)

---------- Post added at 09:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:39 PM ----------

Your welcome:salute:

I had my son test the X-Wing on his P.C. and it works fine. All of my work is done a laptop, so I guess the problem is the laptop setup. :cheers:

Last edited:

jacquesmomo

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
francophone.dansteph.com
I do have a question for jacquesmomo...I am in the process of upgrading the X-Wing, but the Shift-1 and shift-2 (i.e., wings and R2D2) are also linked to the RCS. Is there any way to add command buttons to the keymap in Orbiter, or some other buttons we can use to avoid using the same buttons as other key commands?
Yes, you can change easily :

Code:
[ANIM_SEQ_1] ; Wings
[COLOR=red][B]KEY=1[/B][/COLOR]
DURATION=5

[ANIM_SEQ_2] ; R2D2
[B][COLOR=red]KEY=2[/COLOR][/B]
INIT_POS=0.5
DURATION=1
REPEAT=2

You have just to change "1" or/and "2" with an other value.

But you can only choose 1 to 9 (and "0") and letters "G" and "K".

But if you have Windows7, you must disable the numeric keypad before use SpaceCraft3 commands (not with WinXP) . So, it should not interfere with RCS commands...

I had my son test the X-Wing on his P.C. and it works fine. All of my work is done a laptop, so I guess the problem is the laptop setup.
I'm afraid yes...

Last edited: