New Release Starlink

BrianJ

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
[ame="https://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=7261"]Starlink[/ame]

Rough model of SpaceX Starlink satellite (two versions, left/right handed for stacking). Prograde/Retrograde/OrbitNormal/OrbitAntiNormal/Nadir+Sun Pointing functions. Auto deploy sequence after 2000s (Nadir Pointing, deploy Solar Array). One-hit deployment of 60 sats from Falcon9.

Cheers,
Brian

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
Thanks Brian!

Pretty fun to deploy satellites by hurling them from a rotating second stage.

BrianJ

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Pretty fun to deploy satellites by hurling them from a rotating second stage.
Yeah! :-D
I've been trying to see the Starlink "train" going over, two opportunities last night but clouded out both times.

BrianJ

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Heavens Above lists magnitudes from 3 to 6, so they are not that bright.
Indeed, not bright like ISS or even Dragon, but should be easily visible if you are outside the city (if clouds allow!). I guess the sats will moving further apart over time, but I'm still going to try and have a look at them.

Cheers,
Brian

BrianJ

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Updated v.220711
https://www.orbiter-forum.com/resources/starlink.339/

Includes new scenario for 46 sats launch to Polar orbit from VAFB.
New starlink_stack.dll module now calculates payload mass from number of sats attached.

(I was puzzled why my Falcon9 add-on had insufficent dV to launch 46 sats to polar orbit from VAFB.
Old starlink_stack.dll module had fixed mass for 60 sats)

Last edited:

ZacharyS41

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.zachsellinger.com
BrianJ, I have a suggestion to add on to the Starlink mod.

I've been simulating Starlink v2 Mini launches by having each Starlink weigh 800 kg (typical Starlink v2 Mini individual mass) despite them being in their v1.5 config.

A Starlink v2 Mini satellite is essentially twice the size of a Starlink v1.0/v1.5 sat, taking up more volume in the fairing. This means at most 30 Starlink v2 Minis can fit inside. But the total mass for a full stack is 24,000 kg, which is too much even for an expendable Falcon 9. Luckily, a recoverable Falcon Heavy is powerful enough to launch a full stack; I made a Falcon Heavy config that can launch Starlink sats.

Anyway, to add onto the Starlink v2 Mini, it has two solar arrays instead of just one. If creating a Starlink v2 Mini addition is possible, that'd be great.

BrianJ

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
BrianJ, I have a suggestion to add on to the Starlink mod.

I've been simulating Starlink v2 Mini launches by having each Starlink weigh 800 kg (typical Starlink v2 Mini individual mass) despite them being in their v1.5 config.

A Starlink v2 Mini satellite is essentially twice the size of a Starlink v1.0/v1.5 sat, taking up more volume in the fairing. This means at most 30 Starlink v2 Minis can fit inside. But the total mass for a full stack is 24,000 kg, which is too much even for an expendable Falcon 9. Luckily, a recoverable Falcon Heavy is powerful enough to launch a full stack; I made a Falcon Heavy config that can launch Starlink sats.

Anyway, to add onto the Starlink v2 Mini, it has two solar arrays instead of just one. If creating a Starlink v2 Mini addition is possible, that'd be great.
Hi,
yes, would be nice to get up to date on the Starlink v.2 sat - if someone wants to make a mesh for them, I could be persuaded to make a stack and scenarios for the Falcon9 and FalconHeavy. I seem to remember I had to make left-handed and right-handed meshes for the v.1, for stacking and release reasons.
Otherwise, I'm afraid it'll have to wait its turn on the "to-do list"...
Cheers,
BrianJ

ZacharyS41

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.zachsellinger.com
Hi,
yes, would be nice to get up to date on the Starlink v.2 sat - if someone wants to make a mesh for them, I could be persuaded to make a stack and scenarios for the Falcon9 and FalconHeavy. I seem to remember I had to make left-handed and right-handed meshes for the v.1, for stacking and release reasons.
Otherwise, I'm afraid it'll have to wait its turn on the "to-do list"...
Cheers,
BrianJ
(y)