Flight Question Step-by-step launch for XR5

K-R-Hart

Reaction score
Hi folks,

I've been trying to takeoff from Cape Canaveral with the XR5 to an orbit of about 200km. Just basically launch to orbit and return after a few orbits to get the process in my head. I'm flying Orbiter 2016 with DX9 and Orbiter Sound 4.0 - UMMU and UCGO. (actually might be easier if I could cut and paste a list somehow).

I'm either burning way to much fuel getting to speed for the scrams, then wither not maintaining enough speed to keep gaining altitude. I've read that you must time pitch and thrust levels quite accurately (I know it must sound crazy, its not meant to be easy hehe) but I was wondering if there was a sort of checklist to follow which may help.

I'd use LaunchMFD to assist me in flying a better trajectory profile.(which is installed but doesn't seem to work)

I'm actually having a lot of fun trying flights hehe.. and a few occasions actually made orbit.

Thanks for reading my mumblings. Good flights!

Karl

dbeachy1

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
alteaaerospace.com
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
Check out the section titled Walkthrough: Launch from KSC to Low-Earth-Orbit on page 31 of the XR Flight Operations Manual. :tiphat:

Ripley

Tutorial translator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.tuttovola.org
...I'd use LaunchMFD to assist me in flying a better trajectory profile.(which is installed but doesn't seem to work)...
What's your issue with LaunchMFD?

Did you install its dependencies?
[ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=6023"]HUDDrawer SDK v.0.4 for Orbiter 2016[/ame]
[ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=6966"]ModuleMessagingExt for Orbiter 2016[/ame]

K-R-Hart

Reaction score
Yeah I added both but it doesn't appear in the MFD, although its ticked in Modules.
I added the two before adding LaunchMFD, I'm wondering if I've done it the wrong way round.

---------- Post added 05-31-17 at 10:41 AM ---------- Previous post was 05-30-17 at 10:27 PM ----------

Check out the section titled Walkthrough: Launch from KSC to Low-Earth-Orbit on page 31 of the XR Flight Operations Manual. :tiphat:

Ah yeah I've been following that and hopefully can achieve a proper ascent.

I've made some notes using that as a basis, sort of like a flight checklist. I'll put it up here to see if you think it follows ok. It can be printed out on one A4 and I was thinking of getting it laminated, sort of like a cue card.

Karl

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CHK MAIN/SCRAM/RCS/APU FUEL AT MAX - PAYLOAD SECURE

ALL DOORS, EXT LINES, HATCHES DISCONNECTED / CLOSED

APU (Auxiliary Power Unit) is powered on (CTRL-A) - CHK AF CTRL = ON

AF CTRL set to ON. APU online until 75km Alt / switch to RCS jets for attitude control.

ME 75% - 100% PWR - TAKE OFF

@ 100 knots / V1 / Rotate / (ALT-S) Airspeed Hold or 40% ENG PWR / WHEELS UP / GEAR UP

Turn to ascent hdg / LVL FLT / Airspd Hold OFF / ME FULL / PITCH + 70 deg

@ 24-28 km ALT / LVL FLT / accelerate to Mach 3.5 (XR1/XR2) or 4.5 (XR5) / SCRAM doors OPEN

Maintain LVL FLT (INS and DEL). @ TGT vel, SCRAM FULL PWR / ME reduce to OFF

Maintain +100 m/s ascent / Attitude Hold AP (CTRL-L)

Dynamic Pressure gauge: 35 kPa at 24 km at Mach 4 / Decrease dynamic pressure until it reaches ~10 kPa at 40KM ALT / Maintain 10kPa.

Thrust for SCRAM engines increase as velocity increases until fuel flow reaches the maximum flow rate.

SCRAM TSFC will go down. Speed > Mach 7-9, engine efficiency will gradually decrease.

Elevator trim (INS and DEL) maintain gradual ascent. Adjust ascent rate to keep dynamic pressure ~ 10 kPa / @ VEL ALT increase / adjust ascent rate to keep lowering dynamic pressure gradually below 10 kPa down to 4 kPa.

@ 60 km = Mach 20+ @ SCRAM <= THERMAL LIMIT or NO FUEL ~ 60% main fuel remaining. Peak efficiency @ Mach 7-9.

Close SCRAM doors / ME to full power / pitch up 10 degrees initially.
ApA @ 200 km / MECO - @ Periapsis / circularize orbit

DEPLOY RADIATORS