Flight Question Stock DG unstable in orbit

mike_espo

Reaction score
Using a few of the stock scenarios for the DG, I find that while in a circular orbit of roughly 300km, ecc~.002 that the DG tumbles a lot! I would think that it would be fairly rock stable at 300km.

Is this a bug or am I missing something?

thanks

ar81

Reaction score
Website
www.orbithangar.com
If you have non spherical gravity enabled, blame sun and moon for changing your orbit. If disabled, blame orbit eccentricity for changes in altitude.

mike_espo

Reaction score
Its not so much altitude, but attitude that is changing, even if I enable level horizon, thrusters fire constantly to maintain attitude.

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
They will. Try letting the ship settle into a prograde orbit first. That will reduce the thruster firings or just hit numpad 5 (killrot) that should do the same.

Brassbud

Reaction score
I'm a little confused by your last post. Your attitude with respect to the horizon should and will change over time unless the period of your rotation matches exactly the period of your orbit (a feat nearly accomplished by the Moon).

Now, even if this is the case, the gravity gradient torque will cause your ship to oscillate as well, unless you are flying a spherical ship or are already in the most ideal orientation.

unknown_orbiter

Orbital Mystery
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Hey simple answer: Get into your orbit, burn prograde all the way, then turn it off. Yur ship will have enough rotational momentum to keep it pseudo-prograde for quite some time. When you drift too far, re-prograde and repeat. Time-warping while in an autopilot (prograde, antinormal, auto-level etc) will cause wobbling and violent shaking.

mike_espo

Reaction score
Thanks guys. :cheers: It seems to do better when ship is in prograde attitude.

SlyCoopersButt

Reaction score
What Unknown_Orbiter said was exactly what I do when I need to use Ion engines in Earth orbit. I need to run such engines months at a time in roughly prograde direction using that method as hydrazine could never last.

tblaxland

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Webmaster
Reaction score
Also if you have turned your hover engines on you may wonder why ship behaves in undesired manners.
Yes, always check that your 4yo son has not been playing with the throttle sliders before starting the simulator session...

Fixerger

Reaction score
Try pressing * key. If not help, check out your quicksave for THlevel line.

Brycesv1

Crash Test Expert
Reaction score
if ur orbiting around the earth then ul always be facing the same direction even when the earth is in a different relative location. it makes kind of an optical illusion where u think your rotating but its just the earth going around you. rotate at the same speed that your going around the earth and ul stay level with the horizon