Updates STS-135 Updates

Orbinaut Pete

ISSU Project Manager
News Reporter
Reaction score
I think this topic warrants its own thread now.

Per this article, Senator and former Shuttle astronaut Bill Nelson has included funds for an additional Shuttle flight in NASA’s reauthorization bill for Fiscal Year 2011!!!!! :speakcool: :woohoo:

So, it looks as though Atlantis may fly again after all, on the STS-135 mission sometime in mid-2011!!! :thumbup:

I have no idea about crews at the moment, but I assume it would be a crew that has been recently flown. There would only be 4 crewmembers. The payload would be the Raffaello MPLM filled with ISS resupply items. I don’t know whether any EVAs would be included in the flight. There would be no LON Shuttle for the flight - if the heat shield was damaged, the crew would return via two Soyuz’s - 2 Shuttle crewmembers and 1 Russian commander in each.

The deadline for a definitive FLY/NO-FLY decision is the end of June.

It looks like all those years of flying politicians on the Shuttle is finally paying off! :)

Last edited:

Xyon

Puts the Fun in Dysfunctional
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
The money may be there for the flight itself, but does that money include covering NASA from December to June 2011? I read the article and wasn't sure on that point, the last paragraph has a less encouraging tone and it's difficult to work out which information is newer.

Zachstar

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.ibiblio.org
You cant just throw in an extra flight. Most of the shuttle workforce likely have other jobs lined up by now and it would be extremely difficult to make this happen with a vastly reduced workforce. To the point where safety may even have to be partially compromised.

My bets are on NO unless they get extra money from congress.

tblaxland

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Webmaster
Reaction score
Per this article, Senator and former Shuttle astronaut Bill Nelson has included funds for an additional Shuttle flight in NASA’s reauthorization bill for Fiscal Year 2011!!!!! :speakcool: :woohoo:
This is nothing more than Bill Nelson putting in writing what he has been saying for a long time now. I don't claim to understand how the US law making system works but I would think such things would easily be removed from the reauthorisation bill before its passing by the senate.

IronRain

The One and Only (AFAIK)
Administrator
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.spaceflightnewsapi.net
I think NASA is a bit afraid to give the space station out of hands.... In an interview that I've seen, they said that STS-135 would exist of 4 astronauts (all on the flight-deck) and the mid-deck full of cargo. Some officials are saying that they have some experiments that they want to return...

My personal opinion is: Don't fly that STS-135. The shuttles already have flown more than 30 years... let them rest after STS-134, they deserve it!

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
Well after STS-134, there's going to be an entire stack for LON-335. If you got an entire stack why not use it and have a crew small enough to fit on a Soyuz? Its pretty probable that there might be an STS-135.

Orbinaut Pete

ISSU Project Manager
News Reporter
Reaction score

Orbinaut Pete

ISSU Project Manager
News Reporter
Reaction score
Re-named thread so that it can be used for updates on the processing of STS-335 as well as the possible addition of STS-135.

NASASpaceFlight: "Atlantis ready for STS-335 flow following impressive mission performance".

---------- Post added at 12:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:16 PM ----------

(Moved here from STS-134 thread.)

STS-335's SRB segments are in the process of being delivered from the ATK SRB plant in Utah to KSC via six Florida East Coast Railway cars.
These will be the last ever SRB segments to be delivered to KSC. :(
Astronaut Mike Massimino is riding along on the train.

2010-3623-m.jpg

Hi-res version.

2010-3625-m.jpg

Hi-res version.

---------- Post added 28th May 2010 at 10:56 PM ---------- Previous post was 27th May 2010 at 11:01 PM ----------

More photos of the last ever SRB delivery to KSC:

2010-3636-m.jpg

Hi-res version.

2010-3637-m.jpg

Hi-res version.

2010-3650-m.jpg

Hi-res version.

2010-3651-m.jpg

Hi-res version.

Last edited:

IronRain

The One and Only (AFAIK)
Administrator
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.spaceflightnewsapi.net
lol, everybody was sad because STS-132 was to be the final mission of Atlantis, and she maybe will fly one more mission XD

Xyon

Puts the Fun in Dysfunctional
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
It's not certain that it would be Atlantis - they have been actively looking at Discovery's fitness for the mission as well, since by then Atlantis will be quite a way past her ODMP.

Orbinaut Pete

ISSU Project Manager
News Reporter
Reaction score
It's not certain that it would be Atlantis - they have been actively looking at Discovery's fitness for the mission as well, since by then Atlantis will be quite a way past her ODMP.

Just a nitpick: It's OMPD (Orbiter Maintenance Down Period). ;)

---------- Post added at 08:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:02 PM ----------

collectSPACE: "The last ET (ET-122) to leave the MAF this fall will have a special insignia added to its access door in recognition of its unique history".

Orbinaut Pete

ISSU Project Manager
News Reporter
Reaction score
NASASpaceFlight.com said:
The notional STS-135 has been placed on a provisional June 24 launch date – although manifest evaluations are taking place, both at a program and political level, with the latter considering a position of negotiating STS-135 to launch "up to the end" of FY2011, whilst evaluating the costs of adding STS-136 in 2012.

Yeahh, Go STS-136!!! :speakcool: :woohoo: