TransferMFD Stuck In Lunar Orbit.

Astronut409

Reaction score
Alright, so I decided to take a little trip to the moon. Easy enough, especially with the Ravenstar. I made it to the Moon, visited Brighton, and now I want to go back. The only problem is that I can't get the transfer MFD to cooperate. I think that the problem is with the Reference Orbit I've been using. I had it set to Moon, but it wouldn't let me go to earth again, i.e. I couldn't set Earth as the target. I set it to Earth. Same story. Only when I get it set to the Sun can I select Earth as a target. What do I use as the reference orbit? Or do I need to set the Source orbit to something other than my ship? Any insight would be appreciated.

Tommy

Reaction score
If I recall correctly, TransferMFD can't get you there. One solution is to burn prograde (assuming a prograde orbit, not sure this works in a retrograde orbit) just after the Earth comes over the horizon, and stop burning when your ecc is 1 or higher (when the orbit "breaks"). Once you are in Earths SOI, use OrbitMFD (referenced to Earth) and burn prograde or retrograde as needed to get your PeA where you want it.

Alternately, both IMFD and TransX can do this. For a tutorial (annotated flight recording and PDF manual) on using IMFD to return to Earth (a direct return, but returning to LEO is similar) try the Home Direct tutorial. It requires the XR2, and IMFD. AerobrakeMFD is used, but not needed to view the replay:

[ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=3660"]Home Direct[/ame]