Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
What if one morning there will be only static on TV screens and no internet connection in the big city you live in? For example, drunk silo officers decided to have a nuclear firework at "safe" altitude, frying all communications, but keeping the power mains intact.

What would people do in your region?
Think, drink, rampage, breed, same as usual, something else, all of it?

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
I rarely watch TV so that wouldn't be any great loss.

Losing the internet would be more of an issue and I know there would be some panicing and looting going on around here. Fortunatley I'm on good terms with my neighbours so hopefully between us we could shoot the looters and grab any good stuff they drop. :lol:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Wouldn't be such a big difference, as long as I can still code...

The problem is just that I would likely start buying newspapers, because I couldn't trust only one source of information...

Looting in Germany is just not working well, people would form a row and complain about the high prices while waiting to get out of the store. ;)

willy88

Tinkerer
Addon Developer
GFX Staff
Reaction score
I'd turn on the radio, if the stations are still up.

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Depends on how much fails. I would not be surprised if mains power would fail too, for example. Or radios.

But people will not loot and rampage- if the mains power is still up, it is still somewhat life as usual. Industry or medicine would take a knock- CNC machines or medical equipment would likely be fried. But hey, there are things like files and thermometers. :rofl:

Power cuts etc happen. When they do, people usually revert back to real interpersonal relations...

Orbinaut Pete

ISSU Project Manager
News Reporter
Reaction score
Us Orbinauts would turn to almighty :probe: for guidance. :lol:

cjp

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I think here, people would make the best of the situation, and blame the government for allowing this to have happened. As long as people see it as a temporary inconvenience, there would be no looting or similar chaos.

For news, people would rely on the media you didn't mention, such as the radio, newspapers and the 'gossip network'.

If the destruction only covers a small area (like a single town), there would be no real problem, because all logistics would be organized from the outside, until the infrastructure is repaired. If the whole country (Netherlands) is affected, there would be real trouble, because much of the economy depends on electronics. We'd probably need international help like e.g. Haiti does now. In case the international aid is not effective soon enough, I can imagine real chaos, looting and everything.

adamb193

Lighting Geek
Reaction score
I have some old Vacuum Tube shortwave radios, probably listen in on those to see what happened. Load up on supplies if need be, and make sure no one can steal them.

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
Just a bit of looting if it was very temporary. After hurricane Ike, I found that people deal without power pretty well for a time. Assuming only communications are stopped, people would do very well. After Ike, we had no power, so no air conditioning, and no water. Drinking water and food was available though. People even did well with the lack of stoplights. One of the bigger problems was obtaining gasoline. There was very little gas and at a few gas stations, so cars lined up for blocks waiting hours to get gas. Overall, people do pretty well. I think that with power but no communication, things would go well. And people would probably 'resort' to actually talking to people. ;) With no internet and no power to charge cell phones, people got pretty friendly after Ike.

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
As long as the lights are on there won't be any looting. The funny thing is that people would actually have to talk to each other instead of texting.

Come to think of it, there was a Twilight Zone episode about a similar situation.

Sky Captain

Reaction score
As long as power stays on I don`t think there would be any major problems. For small towns (few thousand people) even if power goes out there won`t be big problems. In 2005 after windstorm Erwin we had few towns with 3000 - 5000 people that stayed without power for nearly a week and there were no rampaging or looting.

I`m curious why there is assumption that no power and communications equals people going on rampage looting and panicking?

Chub777

Reaction score
I would get a power generator, launch Orbiter, fly to Brighton Beach and put myself in Orbiter as a UMMU.:lol:

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I think that with power but no communication, things would go well. And people would probably 'resort' to actually talking to people. ;) With no internet and no power to charge cell phones, people got pretty friendly after Ike.

Indeed.

A few years back in Cape Town, there were pretty bad power cuts (power came on for only short periods of time) due to problems with the Koeburg nuclear powerstation.

Civilisation didn't fall apart, and that was the whole power supply.

Last edited:

earthorbit

Desktop Crasher
Reaction score
When Google is offline, people here begin to yell "The Internet is broken!!!".
So, when TV and Internet are away, i think there will be talk of Apocalypse or so.
I would take a cold drink and watch the show.

cjp

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Not so long ago, there was a power failure in the Bommelerwaard, due to an Apache helicopter flying into the power lines.

Nine months later, there was a birth wave in that region.

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Not so long ago, there was a power failure in the Bommelerwaard, due to an Apache helicopter flying into the power lines.

Nine months later, there was a birth wave in that region.

Figures. :lol:

cinder1992

Random failhurricane.
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
cinder1992.blogspot.com
I'd read an Asimov book, and then go rant at the local library about how they don't have any Asimov or Heinlein or A.C. Clarke.

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I'd read an Asimov book, and then go rant at the local library about how they don't have any Asimov or Heinlein or A.C. Clarke.

Sorry, but what exactly does this have to do with the thread? :huh:

Enjo

Mostly harmless
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.enderspace.de
Preferred Pronouns
Can't you smell my T levels?
What would people do in your region?
Think, drink, rampage, breed, same as usual, something else, all of it?

Same as usual - drink, rampage, breed.