Request Suggestion for OVP

Venus

Reaction score
Hi,

I was wondering if the people involved in this, could add some better lighting. ie rentry glow, some lights on Vessels (ie directing from a docking port to light up a target vessels docking port at night). I'm not sure if this sort of thing is within the guidelines of the OVP. I've often thought it needs much better lighting.

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
I was wondering if the people involved in this, could add some better lighting. ie rentry glow, some lights on Vessels (ie directing from a docking port to light up a target vessels docking port at night). I'm not sure if this sort of thing is within the guidelines of the OVP. I've often thought it needs much better lighting.

Flashlights: Check.
ogla-071114-5.jpg

And check:
ogla-071114-1.jpg

Omni lights: Check
ogl-15.JPG

Moon light: Check.
ogla-080309-1.jpg

New Sun: Check.
ogla-071124-1.jpg

Shadows: Check.
ogla-071126-2.jpg

Rings: Check.
ogla-080410-1.jpg

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Flashlights: Check.
ogla-071114-5.jpg

And check:
ogla-071114-1.jpg

Omni lights: Check
ogl-15.JPG

Moon light: Check.
ogla-080309-1.jpg

ogla-071124-1.jpg

Shadows: Check.
ogla-071126-2.jpg

Rings: Check.
ogla-080410-1.jpg

Wow.

Awesome :speakcool:

Is it highly resource demanding?

Woo482

Addon Developer
GFX Staff
Reaction score
sorry for saying this but HOLY **** ! what have you done to orbiter ? the graphics is a lot better in them pictures are they in the latest beta ?

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Artlav- Do thrusters produce light?

Linguofreak

Reaction score
ogla-071124-1.jpg

That Sun graphic looks a bit too yellow. The color of the Sun is actually a fairly pure white, so the default Orbiter graphics actually aren't too far off. The "traditional" color of the Sun is yellow because it's generally easiest to view when it's fairly near the horizon, at which point alot of the blue light ends up getting scattered, which moves the color of the light that reaches us directly towards the red end of the spectrum. But if you were to look at the Sun from space, you'd see it as white (you'll even see this if you look up at the Sun around noontime here on Earth).

The "traditional" colors for any kind of star tend to be much redder than the actual colors. Incandescent lightbulbs have about the same temperature, and thus glow with about the same color, as the stars that we typically call "red," but their color is more of an orange-white.

---------- Post added at 06:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:37 PM ----------

sorry for saying this but HOLY **** ! what have you done to orbiter ? the graphics is a lot better in them pictures are they in the latest beta ?

As I understand it, in the Beta the Orbiter core only takes care of the physics, and the graphics are an addon. Artlav is making his own graphics addon for the beta.

zerofay32

Buckeye
Reaction score
So then the pictures are from the beta then, I almost jumped out of my chair.

Zerofay32

Venus

Reaction score
WOW!!!! More than I had hoped for. Could it also have assorted lights around the bases lighting them up (even better, the ability to activate a base/pad from ship - some aircraft have this for runway lights on secondary airports n it's very cool).

You have done an amazing job, I've also thought of the rings. How about the asteroid belt? Or is that asking too much lol...

While I'm adding wishes... any chance of animated astronauts (ie such as walking, moving hands/head etc)?

Another problem I've noted is in the colour of Earth. I've a few shots from space showing Astronauts working on ISS with Earth in the background, and the colours are far more intense than shown on lvl 10 earth textures (even on the addon textures for more realistic sky/haze colour from space).

Thanks so much, you are doing an awesome job. Any idea when it will be finished?

Venus

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Another question- how are those ring particles created?

Max Pain

Reaction score
I have also some ideas for ovp features, from which I think the Orbiter visual experience could profit (at least for me). Maybe somebody else, who is willing to code, likes them too, so I decided to post them when I saw this thread.

Most of the ideas are inspired by celestia, which uses also OpenGL, so at least the ideas should be not impossible (although I know nothing about graphics).

• earth shine effect, which lightens the spacecraft in LEO
  • eclipse shadows (if possible with transparent edges)
  • ring shadows on
    saturn
  • normal mapping for planets and moons, though would be cool for spacecrafts too. This is actually obsolete if
    orulex
    is going to replaces the
    spherical
    planet meshes.
  • animated textures (for things like moving clouds,
    volcanoes
    on Io and exhaust textures)

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Is it highly resource demanding?
Relatively.
Do thrusters produce light?
No comments. I want to keep some surprises surprised.

how are those ring particles created?
Point octree, with points following camera.

Could it also have assorted lights around the bases lighting them up (even better, the ability to activate a base/pad from ship - some aircraft have this for runway lights on secondary airports n it's very cool).
Assigning 1-2 lights to a base is doable, but this is not deferred shading - 4-8 lights is global limit or you get a slide-show on all but best GPUS.

How about the asteroid belt? Or is that asking too much lol...
What about it? It's not as dense as in Star Wars, by an order of many magnitudes.

While I'm adding wishes... any chance of animated astronauts (ie such as walking, moving hands/head etc)?
That is common add-on developer's business, possible in current version.

Any idea when it will be finished?
There was an intended release date of Christmas 2008, but since that wooshed by there were no comments by Martins. And untill Orbiter 2009 is out, no OVP.

earth shine effect, which lightens the spacecraft in LEO
Doable, but it's something that will take some research, as just slapping a light on would probably be unrealistic.

eclipse shadows (if possible with transparent edges)
Rather complicated to do, but if there are in Celestia it could be doable.

ring shadows on saturn
Already present in inline client, to be done in OGLA.

normal mapping for planets and moons, though would be cool for spacecrafts too. This is actually obsolete if orulex is going to replaces the spherical planet meshes.
It goes to, and it's generally less resource-consuming than normal mapping on a planet-scale.

animated textures (for things like moving clouds, volcanoes on Io and exhaust textures)
Doable, but where will you get the animated clouds, and how much space will they consume?
Animated ground textures - tricky, need a good reason to try doing it.
Animated exhaust - simple, but no core interface. Could be done in current version as well.

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
Incredible.... I'm another one who fell out my chair when I saw those effects.