Sun Entering New Phase of its Life?

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
If this is true then I am amazed at the fact that it's happening right now in my lifetime. Until about decade ago the 11-year cycle was textbook stuff and then all of the sudden it seemed to stop.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/brucedo...lutionary-phase-say-astronomers/#404312d5278e

The Sun has likely already entered into a new unpredicted long-term phase of its evolution as a hydrogen-burning main sequence star — one characterized by magnetic sputtering indicative of a more quiescent middle-age. Or so say the authors of a new paper submitted to The Astrophysical Journal Letters.

“The Sun’s 11-year sunspot cycle is likely to disappear entirely, not just get less pronounced; [since] other stars with similar rotation rates show no sunspot cycles,” Travis Metcalfe, the paper’s lead author and an astronomer at the Space Science Institute in Boulder, Colo.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
The Sun is gob-smacked by Brexit?

N.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Only a matter of time....

C3PO

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Maybe we compromise and go retrograde instead of leaving it completely. :lol:

Metcalfe says this transition takes a few hundred million years...

It looks like it's happening in your lifetime, but also in the lifetime of every human being. Past, present and future.
:2cents:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Only a matter of time....

I can already imagine Nigel to promise that the grass is always greener in Alpha Centauri. :lol:

---------- Post added at 09:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:28 AM ----------

Maybe we compromise and go retrograde instead of leaving it completely.

What about leaving the ecliptic union instead? :lol:

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
I think E1<I2 was the final straw.

N.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I think E1<I2 was the final straw.

N.

Or the beginning of something beautiful. For example an English national team with a goal keeper.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
I think the team was traumatised by the result of the referendum. It could severely affect their wages.

N.

jroly

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
How will this factor in global warming projections? :rofl:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I think the team was traumatised by the result of the referendum. It could severely affect their wages.

N.

Could this mishap really affect their wages more than failing epically at the Euro again? :blink:

I am really surprised Wayne Rooney is still playing in England, I would have expected him to be already under deck, sailing towards Botany Bay...

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Well, I'm no expert on footie, having no interest, but the spud-faced nipper did score the only England goal. So I'm told.
Anyway its not the players fault its the manager's, and he's gone.

N.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Well, I'm no expert on footie, having no interest, but the spud-faced nipper did score the only England goal. So I'm told.
Anyway its not the players fault its the manager's, and he's gone.

As much as the manager is to blame for his bad choices, the only time in which the English team really managed to look good in the tournament were the very few seconds of Marcus Rashford in the end. Roy H. had better players available it seems, he simply left them at home either or it had not been enough good players - which also would be no surprise considering how poor the English premier league is in developing its own talents compared to the leagues from which they buy the players they need.

Most the English team would hardly be qualified for playing in a pensioners team here... luckily, when the GB leaves the EU, they would need to quickly reduce the number of EU players, so maybe England will finally be forced to look for its own players again.

Its really an irony. England is nearly as football crazy as Germany or Italy, but fails to grow any really great players on its island. Its pretty unthinkable that the next Messi or Ronaldo could be English...

Xyon

Puts the Fun in Dysfunctional
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
OF Staff Note: This conversation, while humourous and interesting, belongs in the basement. This thread isn't about Brexit or Euro 2016.

hutchison66

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
no sun spot activity

if this is true the last time there was zero sun spot activity there was a mini ice age with the Thames freezing over lasted for decades, Maybe global warming might not be a bad thing after all then

Zatnikitelman

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
What's interesting is we really don't know all that much about the life of a star when you think about it. How long have we been observing ours scientifically in earnest? Maybe 150 years? That's roughly equivalent to studying a human for 118 seconds out of a 100 year life. Even studying thousands of other humans for the same 118 second snapshot (really less, how good were the long-range telescopes 150 years ago?), how much can we really tell about our lifecycles?

Gerdih

Reaction score
if this is true the last time there was zero sun spot activity there was a mini ice age with the Thames freezing over lasted for decades, Maybe global warming might not be a bad thing after all then

From the article:

"The brightness of the Sun changes by about a tenth of one percent from minimum solar activity to maximum solar activity, says Metcalfe. And given current levels of heat trapped by manmade pollution, even if the Sun transitions permanently to a minimum state, he says, the cooling effect on Earth’s climate would still be negligible."