Sun-Vesta General Lissajous Orbit Datasets

MontBlanc2012

Reaction score
Attached is a .zip file containing .xlsx spreadsheets containing the datasets needed to calculate the state vectors of Lissajous orbits about L1 and L2 of the Sun-Vesta system in the Elliptic Restricted Three Body Problem (ER3BP).

With these datasets, one can calculate the state vectors of a vessel on the centre manifold of any given MJD for a planar Lyapunov orbit, vertical Lyapunov orbit, Halo orbit or any general Lissajous orbit of the Sun-Vesta three-body system.

This is also the last Lissajous Orbit dataset that I'm going to present. However, I've always been a little curious about Lagrange Point orbits for minor bodies such as Vesta. And since Orbiter 2016 now includes Vesta as a standard body in the Sol system, it makes sense (to me at least) to calculate the general Lissajous orbit dataset for this minor body of only to investigate the characteristics of these orbits. Because of its small mass, the Lagrange points are quite close to Vesta. Whereas the L1 and L2 Lagrange Points for the Sun-Earth and Sun-Mars system are ~ 1.5 million km from Earth and Mars respectively, for Vesta the distance to the Lagrange Point orbits is just a tenth of that at around 125,000 km. On the scale of the solar System this is within 'spitting distance' of the minor body.

The dataset for Vesta needs to be decoded in exactly the same way as Sun-Earth (Sun-Earth General Lissajous Orbit Datasets), Sun Mars (Sun-Mars General Lissajous Orbit Datasets) and as set out in detail in Dialing-up arbitrary Lagrange Point orbits for the Earth-Moon system remembering to replaces the Earth with the Sun; and the Moon with Vesta.

At this point, I'm now going to revert to calculating Halo orbits for the Earth-Moon system; the Sun-Earth system and, for completeness, the Sun-Mars and Sun-Vesta systems as well.

Attachments

• S-Vesta Lissajous ER3BP.zip
    364.5 KB · Views: 1
Last edited: