Science super volcanoes

Jamesep3

Reaction score
We've all heard about yellowstone I know and I know some of us me included don't wan't to have the constant end of the world ramblings of a mad man who say's were overdue for an eruption which is a faulse statment!!!!!!!
As the son of a geographer I have learnt alot about this particular area of science and dispite my age I have knolage enough to know that yellow stone is not unique in fact after reading a book on volcanoes I have got a knew thing for you all to be afraid of!:lol:
Here is a list of super volcanoes thier location and the amount of ash released from an eruption in cubic KM
Krakatau_Indonesia_10
Tambora_Indonesia_40
Taupo_New Zealand(I live here)_35
Santorini_Agean Sea_25
Crater Lake_Oregon_55
Campi flegrei_Italy_80

NOW FOR THE BIG ONES
Toba_Indonesia_1500
Kos_Greece_150
Yellowstone_Wyoming_1000-2000
Long Valley_California_600
Valles_New Mexico_300
Cerro Galan_Argentina_2000
La Pacana_Chile_1500
As you can see Yellow stone is not the only one and not just supreme the one in Argentina is esecialy scary seeming that it can match Yellow stone and yet it is relativly unheard of!
SO what do you think? If you want you can comment on this as long as it is not an end of the world thing, you can add any other super volcanoes to the list and mabey add what you know about these ones.

Last edited:

halcyon

Reaction score
the one in Argentina is esecialy scary seeming that it can match Yellow stone and yet it is relativly unheard of!

Where do you base this off of?
I went to wikipedia, typed in supervolcano, and Argentina was in the list.

In fact, there are multiple resource pages on it:

[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cerro_Galan"]Galán - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]
http://www.geology.sdsu.edu/how_volcanoes_work/Thumblinks/galan_page.html
http://www.volcanolive.com/galan.html
http://volcano.oregonstate.edu/oldroot/CVZ/cerrogalan/index.html
http://journals.cambridge.org/downl...34a.pdf&code=cb08d9781e05b0c23e3ad43a422129d3

And that's just a simple google search that took 10 seconds. :)

Jamesep3

Reaction score
I got my information off one of my farthers reasorce books the information quoted was strait from the book and it is actualy in order from most to least recent eruptions so as you can see more powerful / larger volcanoes take longer to refill befoere they erupt. One thing I forgot to mention is the Hopefuly and I am sure long extinct Siberean bassalt flats volcano which erupted millions of years ago and caused the largest mass extinction ever 99.9% of life wiped out.:uhh:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I am sure long extinct Siberean bassalt flats volcano which erupted millions of years ago and caused the largest mass extinction ever 99.9% of life wiped out.:uhh:

That is wrong - it "only" killed 50% of all species or 97% of all genera. Which is enough for counting as worst mass extinction event. All extinctions together just killed 99% of all species.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Permian–Triassic_extinction_event#Extinction_patterns

Also itself didn't cause it. People are not sure if it caused the massive global warning at that period or even delayed it. Sure is only that today the temperatures are rising much faster as they did back then.

halcyon

Reaction score
I got my information off one of my farthers reasorce books the information quoted was strait from the book and it is actualy in order from most to least recent eruptions so as you can see more powerful / larger volcanoes take longer to refill befoere they erupt. One thing I forgot to mention is the Hopefuly and I am sure long extinct Siberean bassalt flats volcano which erupted millions of years ago and caused the largest mass extinction ever 99.9% of life wiped out.:uhh:

You missed my point.
The Argentina eruption is well known.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
You missed my point.
The Argentina eruption is well known.

Not in the USA, what is maybe his point. Now, it takes serious effort to learn about anything in the USA, what did not happen there, because the majority is pretty ignorant to non-US-issues. Unless it is about Hitler and WW2 (because the USA won it, alone), it doesn't interest many people - and thus not the media.

I have seen dozens of US documentaries about Yellowstone in German TV - but the only ones about other super-volcanoes had been done by German and French teams.

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Olympus Mons. You can't beat it. :lol:

Sky Captain

Reaction score
A supervolcano eruption would be the worst Earth based natural disaster possible. Luckily they are very rare with tens of thousands years between eruptions on such scale. Howewer even a smaller and thus much more likely VEI 7 category eruption if it happens in densely populated area could cause massive disaster.
Tambora screwed up climate pretty badly causing a Year Without Summer. Who knows how similar event these days would affect agriculture worldwide.

Jamesep3

Reaction score
Olympus Mons. You can't beat it. :lol:
actauly olimpus mons apears to be a shield volcano so it would have been very big but due to it's effusive eruptions it would have only been of minor threat to any life near it as most of what was near by could have escaped.
Olimpus mons would have been more like the hawian volcanoes and less like the super volcanoes on earth.
Also the Argentinian volcano is relatively unknown if you look into all the programs on super vocaneos try and find one that A dosn't inlude Yellow stone, and B includes the one in Argentina .