Surface Beacon

PaulG

Reaction score

PaulG

Reaction score
This is great! Thanks. Once I get bored with flying around and crashing into the ground, I'll have to try a lot of this development out. For now, I'll just try to make my little stick, box, or whatever to home in on. I think I'll try that first, because this way, I can toss it overboard while in flight and try to find it later on (just like diving for rings in a pool) Hahaha.

Thanks again for all the direction!

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Creating a surface base requires shutting down the sim and moving files around. It sounds like he wants to be able to drop a beacon on the surface and use it without exiting the sim. This would be cool; back when they were deciding how Apollo would work, the engineers envisioned sending an unmanned lander down with a beacon on it to a suitable landing site and using it as a nav aid for the manned lander. The idea got scrapped as unnecessary, but it's still interesting.

PaulG

Reaction score
Exactly! I'm working on it now, hopefully it will turn out halfway decent. :)

Creating a surface base requires shutting down the sim and moving files around. It sounds like he wants to be able to drop a beacon on the surface and use it without exiting the sim. This would be cool; back when they were deciding how Apollo would work, the engineers envisioned sending an unmanned lander down with a beacon on it to a suitable landing site and using it as a nav aid for the manned lander. The idea got scrapped as unnecessary, but it's still interesting.

PaulG

Reaction score
Thanks for all the help, things are starting to work out. One question,
if I want to sit it on the ground, what is "ground" relative to the origin in anim8or? 0 doesn't seem to work.

Thanks,
Paul

If you use my script, 1.0 in anim8or is 1.0m in Orbiter.

tblaxland

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Webmaster
Reaction score
Thanks for all the help, things are starting to work out. One question,
if I want to sit it on the ground, what is "ground" relative to the origin in anim8or? 0 doesn't seem to work.

Thanks,
Paul
You will need to have a look at the API documentation for touchdown points. These define how the vessel sits on the ground relative to the origin of the mesh.

PaulG

Reaction score
Well, although its a "ship" its not meant to go anywhere. Basically, I want to create it, locate it based on any given ship, such as mmu, and thats it. So, if in anim8tor, I have it at the origin, it appears floating. I need to translate it down in anim8tor to get it to "sit" on the ground. Why the offset?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
The origin of anim8or is the center of gravity for Orbiter. That's what you should remember. Also you should give it touchdown points, as orbiter needs to know how high the CoG has to be above the ground.

PaulG

Reaction score
Ah...so if I made a cube with the origin at the center, the CoG would be there. So, where does orbiter then put the CoG in relation to the ground. So, if I did make touchdown points, I assume then it is through the dll?

The origin of anim8or is the center of gravity for Orbiter. That's what you should remember. Also you should give it touchdown points, as orbiter needs to know how high the CoG has to be above the ground.

tblaxland

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Webmaster
Reaction score
Ah...so if I made a cube with the origin at the center, the CoG would be there. So, where does orbiter then put the CoG in relation to the ground. So, if I did make touchdown points, I assume then it is through the dll?
Correct. See the API_Reference for the SetTouchdownPoints function.