Surface Tiles in Beta(r.13, Mar 7, 2015)

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
I'm using my Westcott UK base to start work using the Orbiter beta(r.13, Mar 7, 2015). Its working ok, I get this result:
http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k207/Notebook_04/15.08.16 21-20-33 GL-01_zpsgu6qldt1.jpg

The surface tiles are below ground level. As I understand, surface tiles are being "deprecated" in the next release of Orbiter?
How do I go about making hi-res areas for bases? Is it to be textures on meshes as ground planes, or have I missed the plot.
Fort brought this point up about page 20 in the Beta thread, but it didn't seem to get resolved. I've gone through all(yes all) the threads about this but not a lot of info so far. Anyone point me to the relevant bits?

EDIT: Fort's comments are on pages 6,7. Quicker than I thought...

All input appreciated

N.

Last edited:

fort

Reaction score
The surface tiles are below ground level.
All input appreciated

N.

Hello Notebook.

I think we will have to wait until the relief is also implemented for the objects on the bases.

It would be nice also, for me, for many reasons, that the option "relief or without relief" (Visual effects tab in the 2015 launchpad) - be preserved with the final release.

And then, eventually, a tool to create - but i'm uncapable to do it - who can afford to convert, if necessary, if profitable with some old good addons, the classic "format" for surftiles - denomination in terms of coordinates particulary - but also different levels of definition depending of the viewing distance (external mipmaps somehow) ... L10,L11,L12 etc ... in the new .dds configuration /distribution in the 2015.

Because, to do it "manually", it's always interesting for learn but...in terms of time, organisation...

Another issue: all tiles of the new version at level 14, 15 ... 19 ... But who will do it ... it's a lot of work ... and a considerable volume of data.

I'm still interested by that questions.

good day ( and maybe holidays )

Last edited:

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Hello Fort.
I agree, till Dr.S. finishes defining the structure of bases, not much can be done. I'll investigate the existing tiles and see how they work. Maybe try altering a few. When I have some information, I'll put it here.

Cheers, N.

fort

Reaction score
Hello Fort.
I'll investigate the existing tiles and see how they work.
Cheers, N.

You'll see that it's simple. Instead of, for example, dds with internals mipmaps as one made it for addons( often 5 or six or more, depending of the program creating its ), it's like if there was only "mipmaps", independant "mipmaps", with a distribution for them by levels and by coordinates N/S, E/W with dedicated folders. Same for elevations data. Same for layers for water surfaces and nightlights.

dds are in 256 or 512 ( do not remember ). But the names are different, by the fact - but that's not all - that a part of the geolocalisation wich was in the names of the dds itselves for classic surftiles are, for a part, in the names of the folders containing the dds by levels.

good day.

Last edited:

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Thanks Fort. Do you know which base has the highest tile resolution in the beta?(if we should call them tiles anymore?!).

N.

fort

Reaction score
Thanks Fort. Do you know which base ?(if we should call them tiles anymore?!).

N.

What do you mean by base ?

The textures, the tiles in 2015, start, for the high definition files, from level 11, included ( but one must take care of the numbers here if we think relatively to the level enumareted for pltex/Orbiter or to the levels as they are enumerated in google/bing maps, or surftiles; but anyway, the difference can only be of 1 level, considering that some start from level 0 named level 0, others from 0 named level 1 - simple question of denomination )...start from 11 and end at 13, included, except some places - dont remember exactly but the tiles for Baiknour's localisation and some places in US ( west coast ? ):

EarthHi_05_28
EarthHi_11_05
EarthHi_10_06
EarthHi_12_21...

...goes from 11 to 16.

...and Canaveral EarthHi_10_08, from 11 to 19, but there is not, speaking of the tiles in their new distribution version in the folders of 2015, as far i know, there is not tiles specifically dedicated to bases ( except Canaveral ).

But maybe it's not the meaning of your question...

Last edited:

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Thanks Fort, I was asking if there are any "higher-resolution" tiles around a specific launch-pad or runway. I think Canaveral had higher resolution in Orbiter2015, I just wondered if it had carried across to the beta?

N.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Thanks Fort, I was asking if there are any "higher-resolution" tiles around a specific launch-pad or runway. I think Canaveral had higher resolution in Orbiter2015, I just wondered if it had carried across to the beta?

N.
Orbiter2015 is the beta. And I think these screenshots show the difference between 2010-P1 and the latest beta: http://orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk/gallery_preview.html

fort

Reaction score

N.

Standard 2010P1 was/is, with the Florida patch ( Earth091124_11_14) at level...14, on Canaveral and around ( and can be used as a "flat" ground in orbiter 2015 ), and maybe only Kukanotas's texture for the same place - but as addon by the fact - is higher than 14 ( 16, 17 ? more ? don't remember but not upper than 19).

Last edited:

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Yes, I meant Orbiter2010 for the Canaveral tiles. I'll have to study the tiles structure a bit more, I'm still thinking in 2010 terms!

N.