Survey: active beta users/testers

Do you use/test the Orbiter beta?

• I am using Orbiter 2010-P1. Never tried the beta.

Votes: 14 27.5%
  • I've tried it, but it crashed/didn't work as expected, so I gave it up for now.

Votes: 8 15.7%
  • I am using the beta regularly, but I don't report bugs.

Votes: 9 17.6%
  • I am using the beta, and report bugs when I find any.

Votes: 20 39.2%

• Total voters

martins

Orbiter Founder
Orbiter Founder
Reaction score
Website
orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk
Just a request for a show of hands: how many Orbiter users are running the beta, and of those, how many report problems they find?

This is just to give me an idea about the current extent of beta testing, and how much of an avalanche of bug reports I can expect after a release.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Regularily in my case means just once per month, also I rarely have bugs to report because others are much faster there. I am more interested in comparing how my own add-ons handle it and how big the effort will become for SSU when the new Orbiter version will come out.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I'm currently developing for the beta and usually report all the things I find, but they're rarely typical use-cases.

Ripley

Tutorial translator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.tuttovola.org
Voted.
I use the beta, but not as much as 2010P1. Of course I'll report bugs if I find them.

Last edited:
Reaction score
...however, the bugs I have found have usually been reported by others first, and/or are specific to the D3D9 client.

PeterRoss

Warranty man
Reaction score
Website
vk.com
I'm testing IMS2 under beta, and I don't know which bug is produced by IMS and which one - by Orbiter, Jedidia is sorting them out.

martins

Orbiter Founder
Orbiter Founder
Reaction score
Website
orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk
Bugs should generally be posted in the Orbiter project issue list. Sometimes it takes me a long time to reply to reports, so apologies in advance, but once an issue is logged, there is at least a chance that I will eventually get around to investigate it.

You don't need "special knowledge" to file a bug report, but there are a few things I ask of any bug-poster, to make my life a bit easier when going bug hunting:
  • please read the note in the header of the bug list detailing what should be included in the report
  • search the list to see if the problem has already been reported
  • make sure you can reproduce the problem with the latest beta version, to confirm it hasn't been fixed yet
  • IMPORTANT: Check if the problem can be reproduced without 3rd party addons, i.e. with a pristine orbiter beta installation, and with as few as possible default modules activated. This will prove that the problem is located in the Orbiter core, and will greatly increase the chance of identifying and fixing it. If the problem only arises in conjunction with a specific addon, you MUST mention it. This will make the debugging process much harder, since it could be located anywhere in the core, the addon or some interaction between them.
  • Mention everything that is required to reproduce the problem, including posting scenario files etc. if required. If a bug can't be reproduced reliably, please mention how frequently it happens for you, and define the environment that seems most likely to generate it.
  • See if the problem can be reproduced when using fixed time steps (in the debug section of the Launchpad "Extra" tab). Using fixed time steps makes debugging easier, because it allows to re-run a scenario exactly without unpredictable variation in step length.
  • Assign a priority to your report that reflects the severity of the problem. I'll have to trust your judgement there, but something like a reproducible crash should always have priority 1.

Col_Klonk

Reaction score
Only using the latest beta... problems I see are mainly Mod related..

In the last 3 updates, I've had planet surface texture patches flashing.
The patches are irregular in shape and look like low res interlaced tv .. I'll post a pic later
:)

schr75

Reaction score
Using both the 2010 version and the beta.

2010 for missions I come up with, and the beta just for the sheer beauty.

Can´t wait to be able to dock to the ISS i Orbiter2016.

Søren