News Technic Bell-Boeing V-22 Osprey cancelled?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
So, it is again left to Cobi to serve this market, so what is the problem... :cheers:

Still... isn't the majority of the Lego Technic collectors older than 30?

tl8

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
So, it is again left to Cobi to serve this market, so what is the problem... :cheers:

Still... isn't the majority of the Lego Technic collectors older than 30?
I take exception to that, I am merely 30, not older than :p

jgrillo2002

Conservative Pioneer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
OK. This seriously ticks me off. they need to leave politics out of toys. Its just a toy plane for crying out loud! :beathead:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
OK. This seriously ticks me off. they need to leave politics out of toys. Its just a toy plane for crying out loud! :beathead:

It would have been the first military toy by Lego... Also it is more about the common question: Should children be playing war?

Linguofreak

Reaction score
It would have been the first military toy by Lego...

False. Each Lego brick is a milspec caltrop. By a sinister plot happy coincidence, the military usefulness of these caltrops can be disguised by assembling them into an innocent looking children's toy.

tl8

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
The consensus seems to be that if it wasn't officially licensed by Bell as a V-22, it probably would have passed (It has worked before).

So it is an expensive license no matter what they paid for it.

jgrillo2002

Conservative Pioneer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
It would have been the first military toy by Lego... Also it is more about the common question: Should children be playing war?
it depends on who are they fighting against. Still they succumbed to the cancel culture.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
it depends on who are they fighting against.

No, not at all. Usually, those are humans.

Just understand it, that you are talking about a different exotic culture. We have no problems with nudity. But can't think positive of war - after all, we barely managed to patch up all the damages of the last one here.

Michkov

Reaction score

I seem to recall having a Castle with a full set of Knights back in the last millennium. As well as numerous yearly catalogues with American West Cavalry sets as well as Pirates and Navy sets. Am I to take from this that bashing other people over the head with a metal stick is OK while a transport plane is somehow wrong. By that logic the shuttle is out too.

Linguofreak

Reaction score
No, not at all. Usually, those are humans.

Just understand it, that you are talking about a different exotic culture. We have no problems with nudity. But can't think positive of war - after all, we barely managed to patch up all the damages of the last one here.

The problem is that wars aren't fought by mutual agreement between the two sides. You only need one aggressor to start a war. If you take too dim a view of war, the wars you get involved in will be short and will tend not to be resolved in your favor. If you take too rosy a view of war, you'll be the aggressor far too often and involve yourself in too many wars that you don't need to fight, and eventually your neighbors will decide that if you aren't cut down to size the wars won't stop.

Europe, at present, is in danger of falling into the first trap, and the USA, largely the second. The tricky part is, while it's easy to spot general trends in this regard in a society's behavior, figuring out the right course of action for a given potential conflict is much trickier.

A large part of the reason for the US's present attitude towards war is that in WWII, the US managed to win, rather than just losing less than the other guy, as is the typical case for the victor in a war. This isn't so much an indicator of US fighting prowess as just an accident of the geopolitical and economic context of the war: the US had the economy to fund its side in the war, while its homeland remained isolated by thousands of miles of ocean from the actual fighting, and so, in the end, of the major world economies, the US alone emerged with an intact industrial base, and, meanwhile, everyone owed it money. Combined with Hitler's obvious insanity, this gave us too rosy a view of war; when you go to war, you stop evil men in their tracks and benefit greatly from it.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Reading your last paragraph, I see your point.
In the UK and probably most of Europe, WWII isn't far away.
I grew up in NE England, that saw some bombing because of the shipyards and armaments industries. Nothing like the midlands and southern England because of the geography. North Sea is quite wide up here.

My parents just remember some bombing(early teens). Mostly because they just missed their schools(probably not intentional). I would say they were going for the coastal gun defences or the submarine base that no one knew about...

Its an odd thing, but I used to play on the beach when there were still tank-traps. 8' cubes of concrete randomly placed. The gun emplacements were still there, and about 1/2 a mile back pill boxes and trenches in the fields

I did vote remain in the referendum, always thought the Common Market/EU were a good antidote to nationalism and another European War.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...ank-traps-uncovered-Northumberland-beach.html

Mk VII 6" Naval Guns.
https://www.blythbattery.org.uk/copy-of-about-us

Good job they weren't there when I was a lad...

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
The problem is that wars aren't fought by mutual agreement between the two sides. You only need one aggressor to start a war. If you take too dim a view of war, the wars you get involved in will be short and will tend not to be resolved in your favor. If you take too rosy a view of war, you'll be the aggressor far too often and involve yourself in too many wars that you don't need to fight, and eventually your neighbors will decide that if you aren't cut down to size the wars won't stop.

There is also another dimension to this: Humans are not good or evil. It depends on the context and the context can change. A mad mass murderer is not fully evil - when he is your prisoner, you have to protect his life, our view even includes that most criminals leave prison as innocent persons and have to be treated as such). If this mad mass murderer is fighting on your side in a war and makes you win, he is a war hero.

Wars are inherently lawless - which is why an armed police officer serving with the mandate of the citizens and by the law is a different thing, than a soldier, whose purpose includes dying for a purpose and lethally harm other people, if necessary.

I don't think its a good idea to teach children first, that some humans are absolutely evil and deserve to be killed. And later fix this.

MaxBuzz

Reaction score
I did vote remain in the referendum, always thought the Common Market/EU were a good antidote to nationalism and another European War.
globalization of the world has made any war a pointless, all wars of the last 30 years rests on the hysteria of the population, which can be called "losers" (religious fanatics, nationalists, rednecks)

Lego talk has gone too far
Studio 2.0 a program that allows you to create any object from Lego
used parts can be bought online

https://www.bricklink.com/v3/studio/download.page

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
globalization of the world has made any war a pointless, all wars of the last 30 years rests on the hysteria of the population, which can be called "losers" (religious fanatics, nationalists, rednecks)

Sadly, and that is also what LEGO teaches us, it is much more effort to create and build something, than to destroy it...

Moach

Crazy dude with a rocket
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Strange that the argument of war and its ethics should come into this when considering the aircraft in question...

the V22, is not, or at least wasn't last time I checked, a weapon of war by itself. The thing is a transport aircraft, which could just as easily ferry life-saving relief supplies as it could a platoon of gun-toting marines. (take the C-130's role for reference)

I'd say the whole "war" point is at the very least kinda moot... As far as this aircraft type goes, the fact of it being employed by the military is really the most war-like of its attributes.

Oh well, at least with legos you can always cobble up yourself anything that corporate "wisdom" isn't willing to let you have

Keatah

Reaction score
Pfaggghh. Sounds like some loudmouth "peace society".. Saying stuff just to say stuff.