The colour of the universe is not beige...

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
It is actually somewhat useful to speak of "colors" outside of the visible spectrum (at least those lying close to it), because there are some animals that can see ultraviolet, and I think there may be a few that can see into the near infrared, and when talking about what such animals can see, it is useful to speak of "colors" outside the visible range.

Yes. I was using the concept of an alien to relate the idea of "seeing" colours outside of the usual human visual range, because an alien would have a word and concept for "colour".

This is a biologically sound concept, as many animals can see into the ultraviolet (and into the near-infrared, as you said.). Heat-sense, as such found on some snakes, would be much like human sense of temperature, only a lot more sensitive.

A species without visual sense, but something like an echolocation (such as that found in bats and dolphins) would have a worldview totally alien to that of a sighted species. (This however might not be a very plausible concept, as eyes have evolved very often in the history of Earth.)

To try and imagine what a color like ultraviolet would look like, yes you could imagine a very deep shade of violet, but unlike any violet you've ever seen.

In short, it is something that is best imagined, but not visualised. ;)

n72.75

Move slow and try not to break too much.
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
mwhume.space
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
On avrage most of it's relatively dark.

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
On avrage most of it's relatively dark.

Are you talking about UV light?

Are you sure? Have you ever seen it?

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
No, he's talking about the topic.

As for alien worldviews, your house cat probably has quite a different view, since her whiskers and olfactory senses are so much sharper than ours, and her eyesight is not as good.

I know what you're saying about other wavelengths as "colors", but the problem is that when I look at the sun, I see yellow, not X-rays. So if you ask me what color the sun is, I'm going to tell you it's yellow.

Same thing if I was to move to a point so far away that the universe looks like a point source of light: I would see some visible color, and that would be my answer to the question "What color is the universe?"

It wouldn't matter to me that the non-visible radiation is more powerful than the visible wavelengths, nor would it matter to me what my alien friend Morbo sees, since you are asking me what the color is, not Morbo.

Morbo.gif

Last edited:

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
As for alien worldviews, your house cat probably has quite a different view, since her whiskers and olfactory senses are so much sharper than ours, and her eyesight is not as good.

Yes, but a sapient species without eyes and using sonar to detect its environment is a particularly fascinating case, as it's wordview is totally alien, far more so then a cat which essentially shares it's senses with that of a human (aside from sensitivity differences, etc.)

As an aside, a cat's vision is actually superior to that of a human, in terms of low-light vision.

I know what you're saying about other wavelengths as "colors", but the problem is that when I look at the sun, I see yellow, not X-rays. So if you ask me what color the sun is, I'm going to tell you it's yellow.

Yes, and if I asked a protanopic person what the colour of a leaf is, they would say it is yellow (ish). But that doesn't mean that green is not a colour. ;)

kneejo

Astronut
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
springs to mind the concept of synesthesia.. it's all vibrations anyway. sound, light, heat.. different organs sending parts of the spectrum to the brain.. which knows no difference, until it learns 'this is sound, that is light' and so on.. this can be unlearned or is sometimes never learned, hence combining of sensory input.