The depths some people sink to...

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Not much Vista in a sub, no windows? oh dear it gets worse...must be the turkey.

N.

Arrowstar

Probenaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Just wait until those weapons consoles blue screen two seconds before the captain orders a torpedo launch...

Moonwalker

Reaction score
Well, Windows also is used on computers at Mission Control Houston, but also on computers aboard the ISS and the Space Shuttle. Using Linux or a different software would not guarantee less risk, or even no risk at all.

But it does not matter, because such news/discussion is about image, not about software. Windows is as useful, or as less useful just as any other OS ;)

Usquanigo

Reaction score
Website
uk.groups.yahoo.com
Page must be down, it isn't displaying.

Why the Windows bashing? Because it's the cool thing to do?

2000 and XP have both been quite good, stable, and reliable. Vista rocks. I have Vista Enterprise at work and love it. I actually miss it when I'm at home on my XP machine.

It has a quirk I'm not fond of (frequently re-arranging the order of the task-bar, I'm really picky about the order I open things up in), but other than that it's been rock solid, and is awesome to use.

I don't think the fact that I'm a Network Admin has anything to do with that either, as I haven't really had to fight with it (once I got it tweaked and configured).

Omhra

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Security update for sub launch systems. This update provides a fix for the defense and attack systems in your sub. It has been identified that your torpedoes might fail to initialize if your boat is under attack. Install this update to avoid conflict with the masses who love (idolize) windows (for some reason).
Your Submarine might have to resurface and be restarted to complete this installation.

Zachstar

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.ibiblio.org
Bloodspray. The only way you have a "good" Vista install is if you or someone before you spent hours configuring it and getting rid of all the crapware and extra processes.

Other than that I think I will wait for Win 7 thanks!

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Page must be down, it isn't displaying.

Why the Windows bashing? Because it's the cool thing to do?

2000 and XP have both been quite good, stable, and reliable. Vista rocks. I have Vista Enterprise at work and love it. I actually miss it when I'm at home on my XP machine.

It has a quirk I'm not fond of (frequently re-arranging the order of the task-bar, I'm really picky about the order I open things up in), but other than that it's been rock solid, and is awesome to use.

I don't think the fact that I'm a Network Admin has anything to do with that either, as I haven't really had to fight with it (once I got it tweaked and configured).

Link was working last time I looked, no windows bashing intended, just a bit of wordplay and post xmas irony, and turkey, and xmas pudding...

ho-hum, back to normal tomorrow.

N.

Missioncmdr

Reaction score
Windows on a submarine!? Next thing you know they will want to put on a screen door.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I can already imagine the new generation of submarine horrors: Instead of bursting valves and light bulbs, blue screens everywhere.

Orbinaut Pete

ISSU Project Manager
News Reporter
Reaction score
Admiral: "OK SAILOR, WE NEED TO LAUNCH THE TORPEDOES NOW!!! - THE ENEMY SUB IS APPROACHING FAST!!!"

Sailor: "Sir, the computer says: Installing Update 3 of 3 - Please wait"

Admiral: "GODDAMMIT, THERE'S NO TIME SAILOR, WE NEED TO LAUNCH - NOW!!!!!!!"

Sailor: "OK, it's just restarting"

Admiral: "THEY'VE OPENED THEIR TORPEDO DOORS - THERE GOING TO FIRE - QUICK SAILOR, QUICK!!!!!

Sailor: "OK, I'M FIRING NOW - 3.... 2.... 1.. WHAT THE - An unexpected error has occurred. Please try again later"

Admiral: "ERROR! THIS IS NO TIME FOR ERRORS SAILOR! FIRE THE TORPEDO NOW!!!!!"

Sailor: "Now the computer is saying: Do you wish to send an error report to Microsoft?"

Admiral: "AAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!"

BOOM!

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Well, Windows also is used on computers at Mission Control Houston, but also on computers aboard the ISS and the Space Shuttle. Using Linux or a different software would not guarantee less risk, or even no risk at all.

But it does not matter, because such news/discussion is about image, not about software. Windows is as useful, or as less useful just as any other OS ;)

To be fair though, the Windows machines in MCC-H aren't in the flight control loop--they're what the flight controllers use to access the internet and keep logs. The actual machines involved in flight control run Linux.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
You are about to fire a torpedo. Do you want to proceed?
Firing a torpedo is a irrversible action. Do you want to proceed?
I am the Microsoft CIC Assistant, I can help you firing your torpedos better. Do you want me to show you some better fire solutions?
Target is a croation supertanker in 300m depth, do you want to proceed?
Do you approve firing at civilian targets?
Do you want to proceed changing the target classification?

Usquanigo

Reaction score
Website
uk.groups.yahoo.com
Bloodspray. The only way you have a "good" Vista install is if you or someone before you spent hours configuring it and getting rid of all the crapware and extra processes.

Other than that I think I will wait for Win 7 thanks!

Incorrect.

Nothing special was done. Yes, I do this stuff for a living, but.... it didn't take anything special, just 1 major tweak that I can think of, turning off that annoying authorization check for everything you do. That was it.

People bash windows because it's the "cool" thing to do, and because they don't understand it.

I'm a DOS guy. I really don't care much for a GUI at all. And I was like you when 95 came out. But I got over it (and myself) and have since become certified in it and use it, and really, it's NOT bad at all. And same thing with IE.

BTW, here's something for all of ya. :) -
;)

-----Post Added-----

Link was working last time I looked, no windows bashing intended, just a bit of wordplay and post xmas irony, and turkey, and xmas pudding...

ho-hum, back to normal tomorrow.

N.

It's cool man, didn't really mean you. :)

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
But I got over it (and myself) and have since become certified in it
Meaning, now you know the only way to do things in it and know, that all other ones are wrong, so no wonder they work badly?

One thing i can say for sure - no OS is useful when used out of the box, it needs lots of tweaking to become useful. It holds true for Windows, it holds for MacOS, it also holds for desktop-grade Linux.

Both desktop grade Linux and Windows come with lots of bells and whistles on, and need tweaking and setting to get rid of them and other generally annoying features and start to work efficiently.
The difference is, out of the box Ubuntu Linux comes with as much GUI niceties as Windows Vista, but they all work fluidly along with math software on a laptop that can't even boot Vista and have XP running like preoccupied.

Usquanigo

Reaction score
Website
uk.groups.yahoo.com
Meaning, now you know the only way to do things in it and know, that all other ones are wrong, so no wonder they work badly?

One thing i can say for sure - no OS is useful when used out of the box, it needs lots of tweaking to become useful. It holds true for Windows, it holds for MacOS, it also holds for desktop-grade Linux.

Both desktop grade Linux and Windows come with lots of bells and whistles on, and need tweaking and setting to get rid of them and other generally annoying features and start to work efficiently.
The difference is, out of the box Ubuntu Linux comes with as much GUI niceties as Windows Vista, but they all work fluidly along with math software on a laptop that can't even boot Vista and have XP running like preoccupied.

lol No, meaning once I got over the lame hating I realized it actually isn't so bad. I've used them all, if I'm gonna be stuck with a GUI, then I'll take Windows. It's infinitely flexible, and it runs more than a screensaver. ;)

Seriously, I'm a geek and all, but even when I "hated" it, I never had trouble with it. It just worked - nothing special, no herculian efforts or marathon configuring sessions, it just worked. So..... if you do well, it's not the product.

The only "good" GUI I used that I actually liked from the outset was BeOS, but that died a horrible death. OS2 had promise before 95 came out and took all the good points of it and crushed it.

It's ironic that the people who claim anyone who "defends" Windows from lies and myths is a 'zealot', when in fact it is they who are the true zealots (referring to an earlier post here).

Oh and BTW, I got my MCP in Win95 on pure knowledge, no studying, just took the test on what I already knew. And it was more of a Network OS test than anything else, which was a little unexpected (at the time).

Also, my work and home machines are identical - P4 3.2's with 2GB of RAM. The difference is that at work I have a crappy video card and internal sound (vs a GF6600 and Audigy here), and Vista runs JUST as fast there as XP does here. Just as stably too, if not more-so. (XP Pro, of course.....) Aero is lighter than people want to realize.

pete.dakota

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Clippy.gif

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I think, Linux still uses a cuter Swapfile strategy... my personal feeling. Most Linux systems I used run very well with typical swap partition sizes, but windows swap file concept is more busy even on lighter loads and with equal swap file sizes.