News The future of STS Payloads

Gazza

Reaction score
Hi
I've been trying to find ways and workarounds to get the latest pylon3 to work 100% with orbiter 2010. The main problem is the sequences no longer work. They do not load in any scenario and are not saved in the current state or quicksave scenario files.
Pylon3 is "vessel2" so the MFD/dll loads ok but the features as mentioned are missing.
The author of pylon camelopardis has not been on the forums for about two years so im guessing that pylon may be abandon.
Ronald(Woodylepic) has offered his services to get these pylon features to work and sent me a newer version "pylon4" but the same problem was there. We think the source code was based on an older version of pylon. Woodylepic cannot continue to find the reason why the sequences and states are not working due to other commitments. Im open to any suggestions/ideals for pylon3 to work correctly.
Looking in the forums, i see there are numerous post concerning STS Payloads. I can only offer support on STS Payloads v2 with orbiter 2006 for the time being.

Thanks
Gary(gazza)

Yoda

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Gazza,

Sounds like David was working on getting your STSpayloads to work with his fleet but ran into some "permission" issue's regarding use of this add-on.
Anything you can do to help there ?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
There could also be the way to get under the umbrella of the SSU project, but there is one huge problem and one small. The small one is that this sounds too much like assimilation for the STS Payloads team, they have the longer project history.

The huge one is that I still work on getting the SSU work better organized and can't really tell how many developers could assist in such a project. The medium distance goal is to make a generic payload DLL based on libUltra, but there is a lot of work missing and I am not in the position to tackle it all myself in reasonable time.

Gazza

Reaction score
Gazza,

Sounds like David was working on getting your STSpayloads to work with his fleet but ran into some "permission" issue's regarding use of this add-on.
Anything you can do to help there ?

Yes, david wanted to use some meshes for his earlier STS missions. However certain meshes were "unavailable". I see that he is working on a "spin table" feature so maybe STS-5 is in the pipeline.
I still have a feeling that the pylon problem is an easy fix but without the latest source codes it may be another attempt at RE.

Thanks

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Gazza,

You will be assimilated by SSU, resistance is futile. :hello:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Gazza,

You will be assimilated by SSU, resistance is futile. :hello:

:lol: :lol::facepalm:

Don, I already have a huge fight gathering the work blocks and current tasks for SSU... don't give them an instant 7000% growth. :lol:

Gazza

Reaction score
As long as there are realistic satellite deployments in orbiter, i don't mind being assimilated lol:)

barrygolden

Reaction score
STS payloads is my favorite addon to date. would love to see it work better and would love to see you guys do the lost missions of 1986. that would be really neat with the shuttle's retirement

thanks Gazza

Marg

Reaction score
Ooh, Gazza is back :)
I would be happy for "STS payloads part 2", even for Orbiter 2006 version...
BTW a year ago I discovered ISS addon pack with Space shuttle ISS missions, and there are alot of Gazza`s type of things (I mean pad deflection smokes, etc.) implemented in .dll!

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Yes, david wanted to use some meshes for his earlier STS missions. However certain meshes were "unavailable". I see that he is working on a "spin table" feature so maybe STS-5 is in the pipeline.
I still have a feeling that the pylon problem is an easy fix but without the latest source codes it may be another attempt at RE.

If you wonder about the source code of PylonMFD, you can see it here: https://bitbucket.org/face/pylon

Woodylepic sent me some PMs about the problem, but I'm honestly lost on the description. At first he told me about a state saving problem - I thought I fixed that (old callbacks were used). Now I think it is still not fixed, from your description...

The second issue he told me was a "timer" problem. I don't get what it is about, maybe you can describe it a bit better, as I really never used Pylon that much. I don't know what it should do and what not.

regards,
Face

Yoda

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
It would just be wonderfull if we could have a complete mission history available on Orbiter with the end of the shuttle program so close...
Between Thorton,Donamy,Gazza and David we should be able to come up with something close to this.......:cheers:

fort

Reaction score
Gazza,

As i said it to you some months ago, i have maybe eight pylon version since the beginning of they, and a lot of topics starting from 2004 about it on wich one Camelopardis gives a certain number of explanations about his work with it. I don't know but it could be, by chance, usefull for a developper.

I'll try tomorrow to make a showable package with that and send you a message by PM to send it to you. The folder is around 5 Mo, so maybe the half zipped.

Gazza

Reaction score
About the source codes of PYLON.
After dbeachy excellent skills on the pylon with STS Payloads v1, Camelopardis came back on the scene and updated his pylon with extra features ie sound, VC etc. This lead to STS Payloads V2 being released. The latest pylon dll is also a debug version. Unfortunately, Camelopardis never released the source codes for the latest pylon with the extra features. I tested woodylepics pylon4 on orbiter 2006 and the same problem occurs in orbiter 2010. This i believe is down to a very old source code of pylon.
What i will do in a couple of days is to upload a small scenario with sequences and states that 100% works in orbiter2006 but only works 50% in orbiter2010. It will only be a very very small download and maybe someone can then identify the problem.
Thanks

David413

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Recommendation

Gary,

I would recommend that you work on adapting the STS payloads to the Space Shuttle Ultra (SSU). After you and I had conversed via Email, I began updating the fleet to work with the meshes for various sats that you (in the documentation) had stated were yours. I have simulated STS-5, STS-6, the Solar Max rescue mission, etc. and then, just before I was ready to release an updated Shuttle fleet, Ronald began to Email me with demands that I will not support. So, unfortunately, the TDRS release, the spin tables I developed for the fleet ( to replace the missing Pylon sequences and allow folks the ability to deploy satellites) cannot be released. Perhaps Face can update Pylon and then the SSU team can incorporate this into the SSU.

Thanks again for your help and permissions,

Dave