Rant The internet used to be good.

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
I like PBS/NPR and also the BBC.

I hear good things about Al Jazeera English, but I don't follow it myself.
PBS has a wide assortment of awesome YouTube channels too. Including an ongoing series on spacetime (called Space Time). Their channels put a huge emphasis on viewer feedback and intelligent discussion (yes, even in YouTube comments!).

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
More and more in the recent past I've had people ask me about something that's happened or been posted on Facebook, and I had no clue what they were referring to, simply because I hardly get on Facebook anymore for exactly this reason. The signal-to-noise ratio is pretty much unbearable for me.

"I thought 'abc' was going to happen, but when he/she did THIS?!? My mind was BLOWN!"

To be completely honest, the only reason I haven't deactivated my account is because FB messenger is my only means of contact with my older sister who lives alone in another city and has poor health/can't travel.

Anyone got any recommendations for reliable and unbiased news sources? I tend to stick with Reuters at the moment but even their articles are more and more full of typos and inconsistencies.

I added this one to my list after a coworker showed me it was a decent source. http://www.rt.com/

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
I like PBS/NPR and also the BBC.

I hear good things about Al Jazeera English, but I don't follow it myself.

I get most of my news through the car radio. The local NPR affiliates usually air BBC world service as well. BBC is very good for world news; you can actually hear about events in the third world which is pretty much ignored by the U.S. media.

Al Jazeera is interesting. Again, the U.S. media focuses only on where U.S. troops have been deployed in the Middle East, and generally only relates news directly concerning the U.S. interests. The Yemen crisis is not well covered by most U.S. media. Al Jazeera shows at least the emphasis of importance these events are to the Middle East. The potential for bias is strong, but it pushes in many different directions simultaneously for Al Jazeera. Between the strong government control of the media in many Middle Eastern countries and the radical elements with guns, Al Jazeera needs to follow a very narrow and muted path in order to not be shut down or attacked. A lot of Al Jazeera journalists have been murdered or jailed for simply reporting the news. They are a courageous lot of journalists.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I added this one to my list after a coworker showed me it was a decent source. http://www.rt.com/

I removed Russia Today from the list of decent sources some time ago already. Its not the worst that comes from the east, but the actual good news of them are not always more true than the typical western outlets.

cirahello

Reaction score
Theres more knowledge and good info on the internet than any other time in history... But there is also a whole bunch more crap on the web...probably by several orders of magnitude.

I just find that as long you stay away from cheap layman(TMZ, buzzfeed, etc...) sites, you can avoid the worst of it. The thing that usually gets me is the adverts that spam your computer and open up multiple unclosable pages. Then the game of war ads which appear non stop.

yes i can't agree more.