Gaming The Kerbal Space Program - Version 1.2.x

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
My first reaction to the news was "Pfft. Nice try, Squad." Then Steam started to download an update... Let's go catch some asteroids!

Pipcard

mikusingularity
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Kerbin has a new moon...

c0BVYL2.png

HIR111U.png

Pablo49

Reaction score
My first asteroid capture attempt was semi-successful. I wanted it to be a manned mission, so it includes the large capsule. I made two mistakes that messed up the mission. First, I underestimated the inclination of the asteroid and wasted loads of dV changing my plane. Second, I totally forgot about the nuclear engines so what I sent up was hilarious under powered.

2KoT0ri.jpg

Here is the crew hanging out around the captured asteroid. They went back into the capsule and returned to Kerbin, leaving the asteroid in solar orbit.

Unstung

Reaction score
I can do anything with this rocket... except capture an asteroid because it's not in a polar orbit. I haven't practiced docking at all either.
phlrrM9.jpg

V4yQekE.jpg

The center core is fully fueled by the time the rocket's in orbit.

Pablo49

Reaction score
Do the parachutes atop those boosters actually work without being ripped off?

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score

Objects that do not have the player focus or that are out of the 2.5 km radius "focus bubble" get deleted when they go under a given altitude, something like 25 km.

Nice update. The new size was indeed long-awaited. Less parts, better performances ! Gives a new breath to interplanetary programs ;) Also, that "Klaw" object grabber is definitively a useful thing, not only to hunt asteroids but also space debris :thumbup: On the downside, the amount of asteroids is completely crazy. I don't know how the Kerbal species have survived in the past, their planet is litteraly hammered by big rocks !

Special mention to the new timer that allows to display time in the Kerbal format (6 hours days). Makes much more sense.

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
something like 25 km.
On Kerbin below 23 km altitude, when it's farther than 2.5 km from the focus vessel. There are / were a few plug-ins which extend(ed) the distance from your active vessel.

Unstung

Reaction score
I've been able to visit the cores as debris (and any other debris) from the tracking station after they have entered the atmosphere, so I'm not so sure about the 2.5 kilometer thing. The core stage still requires a small boost to get into orbit, so the other stages are de-orbited. The parachutes do open successfully without snapping off; they're activated once they separate from the rocket so they open early. The only problems were that the boosters weren't slowed down enough with one parachute each, to about 25 m/s, and two of them smacked into each other due to their close proximity for the entire flight. Adding a small rocket booster to each core to distance them and extra parachute(s) should do the trick.

I'll add some screenshots when I try another launch, testing the new modifications.

Pablo49

Reaction score
Objects that do not have the player focus or that are out of the 2.5 km radius "focus bubble" get deleted when they go under a given altitude, something like 25 km.
Yeah, I know. Just wondered if they would work assuming it was simulated.

Unstung

Reaction score
I launched my first space station to practice docking using the same launcher. Apparently the other unmanned boosters did disappear when they were hundreds of meters from the spacecraft, right after I took the third screenshot, at about 23 km. This time they were separated by a greater distance due to the added SRBs. However, the landing speed is now only about 20 m/s, still not enough to land on solid ground. The object that was tracked just missed landing in deep water, but the engines that impacted the water survived.
csVppnG.jpg

U9bEX5d.jpg

xKhZVVT.jpg

VWhTvWo.jpg

cRPfoQp.jpg

Qy5rcMf.jpg

Linguofreak

Reaction score
Does anybody else have issues with engines starting (at very low throttle) or parachutes deploying when switching to a ship?

Unstung

Reaction score
If I press the shift key once, the new engines don't start up until I increase the throttle further. The smaller, older engines work fine. I haven't encountered any parachute problems.

I've completed my first rendezvous and docking after a long period of adjusting the capsule's orbit. The capsule bumped into the space station before the two craft were docked, so they're in a different orientation in the second image.
hsKNYnH.jpg

8Ma0Qvl.jpg

An improved space station was launched into a 256 km circular orbit and the practice one deorbited. The new space station, Unity (might as well steal some names from the ISS), will be expanded in the future. Attaching a large tank to the other end and using Unity as a fuel depot sounds like a good idea.
c1CctNG.jpg

uABNd5v.jpg

Is there a way to maintain the orientation of a spacecraft relative to the horizon in KSP?

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
If I press the shift key once, the new engines don't start up until I increase the throttle further. The smaller, older engines work fine. I haven't encountered any parachute problems.
Possibly intentional and realistic...real rocket engines have a certain minimum thrust level needed...

Unstung

Reaction score
The fuel depot/space station is finished. First the giant liquid fuel tank that's difficult to control was added then a smaller RCS fuel module, with some ion propellant for extra utility.

WEU6g2u.jpg

o9FFtbF.jpg

lw1owiB.jpg