Discussion The next 100 years..

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Wrong. A firearm is far less complicated than an A380, yet the failure rate of a firearm (stoppages, etc) would, if translated into the failure rate of an aircraft, for example, be absolutely terrifying.

An AK-47 might cost $600 and mass 4.3 kilograms, an A380 has a unit cost of $375.3 million, and masses maybe 264 500 kilograms. At these figures, an AK-47 would cost ~$140/kg, and an A380 ~$1420/kg, more than ten times as much.

However, one must remember that guns are small, rugged, and a simple technology, that has been refined and optimised over decades and centuries, and they will, of course, cost less than the A380.

But as for the failure rate of guns, there is a clear reason why: guns are a heavily intensive technology. For what they do, the components in a gun are quite small.

Take the kinetic energy of the projectile, and the time it takes to leave the barrel, to calculate the power output of the system. It then becomes clear, that a firearm puts out an extremely large amount of power for its mass. Not continuously, of course, but it is still pretty intensive.

And being that intensive, means the components are under more strain, everything is operating closer to the maximum of what is possible, and things are more likely to go wrong- even in a type of system that is rugged and has been perfected over decades.

Space vehicles reach a whole new level of technological insanity. Not only do they have to be as light as possible, but they have to do some pretty extreme things (handle cryogenic fluids, temperature changes, the vibrations and accelerations of launch, etc). And space vehicles of course are pretty large and complex, too. The best way to avoid failures is to manufacture your components to high standards; to use high-grade materials, to manufacture parts to tight tolerances, and to put in place rigorous inspection regimes.

Skylon will cost more than an A380 and it will be less reliable. These are the basic limitations of engineering that you cannot magic away.

Most parts of Skylon will have to do far more than comparable components on an A380.

Ghostrider

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Don't take the AK-47 as standard for firearms reliability. The "reliability" of the AK is a myth: it's a cheap and rugged weapon, but compare it to a more modern rifle like the SIG SG-550, Steyr AUG or HK G36 and you're talking a completely different class of firearms. Modern, high-quality firearms have an incredibly low failure rate. Never had a stoppage on my own SG-550, for instance, and it has saw a lot of action. Properly maintained, modern good quality firearms don't give you any headaches unless you're firing at very low temperatures, the parts are very dirty and you haven't been maintaining them for a while.

Most problems with firearms these days are due to ammo: there's plenty of shooters who buy their ammo at El Cheapo and then complain because their lacquered steel ammo cases junk up the action (there's a reason cases should be made of brass) or the primers are low quality.

FADEC

Reaction score
large commercial airliners are probably much more complicated machines than Skylon will ever be

Because Skylon is supposed to be nothing more than an unmanned cargo carrier. It's comparing apples and oranges.

And I guess it will never go beyond test status like all the other such uncountable projects that never became operational. But that's a different story.

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Don't take the AK-47 as standard for firearms reliability. The "reliability" of the AK is a myth: it's a cheap and rugged weapon, but compare it to a more modern rifle like the SIG SG-550, Steyr AUG or HK G36 and you're talking a completely different class of firearms. Modern, high-quality firearms have an incredibly low failure rate. Never had a stoppage on my own SG-550, for instance, and it has saw a lot of action. Properly maintained, modern good quality firearms don't give you any headaches unless you're firing at very low temperatures, the parts are very dirty and you haven't been maintaining them for a while.

Most problems with firearms these days are due to ammo: there's plenty of shooters who buy their ammo at El Cheapo and then complain because their lacquered steel ammo cases junk up the action (there's a reason cases should be made of brass) or the primers are low quality.

I wasn't using the AK as a measure of reliability, but rather as a popular example that people could relate to.

I agree that most problems with modern weapons likely stem from poor ammunition, though considering the stupidity of some users and the harsh conditions that can be encountered in combat (or both, especially considering the attributes of war in recent years), other factors are at play, in at least some cases.

Because Skylon is supposed to be nothing more than an unmanned cargo carrier. It's comparing apples and oranges.

Actually if you name a system on the A380, you'll also have a comparable system aboard Skylon... if not, you have another system that is equally or even more complex.

Skylon has two engines while the A380 has four, yes... but those are precooled jet-rocket hybrid engines using cryogenic fuel.

Last edited:

FADEC

Reaction score
Actually if you name a system on the A380, you'll also have a comparable system aboard Skylon... if not, you have another system that is equally or even more complex.

Skylon has two engines while the A380 has four, yes... but those are precooled jet-rocket hybrid engines using cryogenic fuel.

The A380 has the most complex flight deck the aviation world has seen for now. It's even more complex than the one of Concorde although it looks more clean. Skylon won't have such avionics because it is supposed to be unmanned. It doesn't need to bother with complex life support systems and flight management computers. It is supposed to be nothing more than a "drone" for carrying payloads into LEO.

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Which makes it very unusual among other aircraft of its size and mass category, but is the norm for launch vehicles... only a few launch vehicles can be controlled manually, and most of the time, they are under automated control anyway.

I hope, though, that astronauts travelling aboard Skylon would have some means of controlling their spacecraft, should the need ever arise... it could be pretty disconcerting flying to orbit in a vehicle controllable only by a team of people on the ground, thousands of kilometers away.

Keatah

Reaction score
What a fascinating discussion. I won't go on my materials and energy density improvements rant again.

Perhaps we need to determine what behaviors it would take to eliminate money and politics. I don't care how how entrenched that crap is in day-to-day living. I don't really give a a hoot how stupid and far-fetched a world with minimal politics and financial constraints is. Politics and finances only serve to stymie creative talent. A lot of that is excess baggage and needs to go. Because with that baggage bogging you down you end up right where we are..

Politics and finances do add variety to the ape-cage though.

Victor_D

Reaction score
Did they have a choice? Put yourself in the place of a person working on the shuttle program...

Hence why some people believe that NASA human spaceflight has been just a glorified jobs programme since Apollo ended. Shuttle was a way to keep the army of engineers and aerospace workers busy.

It's obviously easy to criticize it from the hindsight, but there were some clear thinking people even back then who knew where the programme was heading. Too bad nobody listened to them.

No, it is not. Please read my post where I explain that hardware launch costs are only a small amount of the total cost. You still have to research and fabricate the infrastructure, and then assemble and operate it in space. This is not cheap.

I feel like I am moving in circles here. For the last time - the launch price is the root of the problem. When a kilo-to-LEO costs $10,000, it has an immense effect on everything else. Satellites need to be overdesigned to last for a long time with no maintenance, which drives up cost. Reusability is discouraged. Low demand for space station modules and other components of the space "infrastructure" are not mass produced at all, which makes every piece a (very costly) prototype. And so on, and so forth.

Once you find a way to get things up cheaper, prices will fall across the board and the market will grow correspondingly. Positive feedback loop.

Well yes, that's nice, you can launch 18000 tons into space each year... that's lovely, but, what are you going to do with it? If you can't make it into something useful and afford that, what's the point?

Christ :facepalm: The whole point of my showing the potential capabilities of a Skylon-like vehicle was to explain WHY and HOW will other business activities in space become interesting. If your short-term memory can't handle that, than I am wasting my time here.

And I have spent the last few posts debunking them. :p

So far, you've debunked nothing. You see this "chicken-or-egg" as unsolvable and apply an extremely pessimistic outlook to every challenge. I respect that as a statement of your scepticism, not as a refutation of anything that I wrote.

Of course, I did not consider crew rotations and resupply operations. However, when the numbers are crunched, it is still likely that a good portion of the cost is not launch costs, but hardware and operations costs. Even 30-40% of the costs being launch costs overall, would mean most of the cost was in hardware and operations... even 60% of the cost being launch cost would mean you'd still have billions of dollars otherwise.

So? As I said, ISS is a completely new system, one of its kind. Even so, it could have been built much quicker and much cheaper, if politics didn't interfere so much. In the final bill (that's the 100 billion figure that is floating around), the actual cost of the hardware will be one of the smaller items. Launch costs including both the assembly and ressuply flights, as well as the cost of the non-reusable supply ships, will likely overshadow everything else.

Building an antimatter propelled starship is also a 'challenge'... ;)

So is FTL travel, the difference is that if you actually have models of the final product that work at least in laboratory conditions, you're halfway there. That can't be said about anti-matter drives, which exist only on paper :p

Nevertheless, I fully agree with you. We won't know until it has been tried.

At least something we can agree on.

Skylon is a space vehicle! It has huge propellant tanks filled with hundreds of tons of cryogens! It has hybrid jet-rocket engines! It'll have other propulsion systems for use in orbit as well! It'll use active cooling on reentry! It'll have star trackers, payload bay doors, and other systems!

Sorry for the overexcitement.

Except for the hybrid jet-rocket engines and active cooling (which on Skylon isn't as complicated as it seems), everything else has been used in space for decades! Woo, I am excited too :lol:

Seriously, I think that if something is going to kill Skylon, it's the aerodynamic properties of its airframe. I really hope they've modelled that right.

There are two reasons to be skeptical of ultra-low failure rate claims:

- Skylon will be a new system, it will not be perfected and refined over decades, and thus should not be expected to have the same safety record as an aircraft.

Every new commercial airliner is a new system, but there is something called flight testing. AFAIK REL wants to do literally hundreds of flights before Skylon starts being sold to the customers. These flights should reveal all major problems with the spaceplane before it enters the market.

- Skylon could likely see more strains in both the physical and thermal sense over the course of a single flight, than an airliner would.

Well, obviously, although as I understand it, the G forces and temperature ranges Skylon will experience during the flight are pretty benign compared to contemporary spacecraft. I think the maximum G-forces are below 3 G during the ascent phase and below 2 G during re-entry.

- Skylon could be, overall, far more 'critical' in the technical sense. While a single failure aboard an airliner might not result in the failure of the entire vehicle, during a critical phase of the mission (launch or reentry) a failure of part of Skylon could have catastrophic results.

Again, as I understand it, Skylon should be able to return to the base in case of a non-critical failure (which is infinitely better than what current expendable systems can do). Of course if one of its SABRE engines blows up, then it's over and Skylon goes down - though the same can be said about contemporary twin-engine airliners.

Also, STS was supposed to have what, a failure rate of 1/1000? 1/10 000?
Complacency with safety is never, ever a good idea.

Anyway, you're using red herring tactics here. Skylon is not supposed to be as safe as commercial airliners, that would indeed be impossible to achieve. It's supposed to be much safer than contemporary space launch systems. It's been said that the STS is 73,000 times less reliable than commercial airliners based on its accident rate per number of flights. According to Mark Hempsell, the probability of loss of life on Skylon (if it it carries crew) should be roughly 1/10,000 initially, 1/100,000 later. That's still two orders of magnitude or more worse than what's acceptable in commercial aviation, but more than 100 or 1000 times better than STS.

So, what complacency about safety are you talking about? If the stated aim of the company is to make Skylon so much safer than STS and they still think it is possible, you can't really complain. Whether they can achieve these levels of reliabilit, that's obviously impossible for us to determine. I am slightly optimistic, you're not, let's leave it at that.

We already have one of those, it isn't that big.

:rolleyes:

Which don't need (permanent) human presence, and even if they did, they wouldn't need much of it.

:facepalm:

Which, by their very description, don't need manned presence (or a large manned presence).

:suicide:

I was thinking about repeating (again) why you're wrong about these statements, but seeing that you're missing the point on purpose, I realized I'd be wasting my time.

You are using an example of what can optimistically be achieved in 10-20 years time.

10 years is optimistic, 20 is more realistic. Your estimates (hundreds or thousands of years) are not even pessimistic, they're insane.

I agree, that Skylon would be a heavily disruptive launch technology, even if it were relatively unsuccessful. But, the whole point of 'Manifest Destiny IN SPACE', and what you're saying... is that because it is championed by space enthusiast(s), it assumes that space will suddenly become far more important to everyone than it should really be.

Space is now far more important to us that it was 20 years ago, and we're using it just for telecommunications and navigation. It's hard to imagine a scenario where space isn't even more important for everyday life on Earth 20 years in the future, or 50 years in the future, or 100 years in the future.

As for your "manifest destiny" - humanity can either sit on Earth and wait until it dies off for one reason or another, or expand and exploit the opportunities space offers us. I am saying that the second option will become feasible within the next 50 years. You're either in favour of the first option, or you think it will take hundreds of years to even get to Mars. I think that's preposterous and in clear conflict with the observable trends in technology, economy and general human outlook.

Venture Star achieving viable super-low costs?

Yeah... :rolleyes:

Where did I said that?

I fail to see your logic, Venture Star was a Lockheed program, I'm sure there was a Boeing reusable spacecraft along there somewhere. There was a McDonnell Douglas reusable program- the DC-X.

According to Zubrin and the article I linked in one of my previous posts, X-33/VentureStar was killed on purpose. Zubrin explicitly states that the new management of L-M (or was it just Martin-Marietta back then? I don't remember) which came after Augustine was opposed to X-33 exactly because it threatened their existing expendable launcher business. For this reason, the project didn't get the funding the company initially promised. The politicians delivered the coup-de-grace when they insisted on using a composite hydrogen tank that simply didn't work. As a result, the whole project collapsed and was cancelled.

Boeing might have had an interest in developing such a vehicle, but since its merger with McDonnell-Douglas and the beginning of its partnership with Lockheed-Martin under the United Launch Alliance, any incentive to develop a working SSTO has evaporated.

It's a pretty interesting fact that all major work on SSTO designs in the US stopped after the wave of mergers in the aerospace industry two decades ago. I wonder why is that :dry:

Granted, their 'failures' could be used to "prove" that prices can't be driven any lower... but it doesn't make much sense. It sounds like a wacky conspiracy theory.

Makes plenty of sense once you look at it from their perspective. If I owned the Delta rocket production line, my long-term contracts with the government allowed me to keep the prices high and I was pretty much protected from any serious domestic and foreign competition, what incentive would I have to try to upset the status quo? That's right, none whatsoever. Especially if the government didn't care about cheap access to space and was willing to keep buying my existing products and services for these ridiculous prices.

Companies that exist in an environment of near monopoly are generally reluctant to do anything that could expose them to new competition, there's nothing strange about it. I think there were laws in the US before WW2 that prevented the manufacturers of commercial aircraft from operating them - it was feared it would lead to a monopoly that would keep the prices too high. Yet the Americans allowed a similar situation to develop in the space launch industry with dire consequences - even with current technology, space launchers shouldn't be as expensive as they are.

Wishbone

Clueless developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Thanks for thoughtful posts, folks. I'm really interested in the details of that positive feedback stuff. First off, how does one formalize the loop ({price -> shift of demand curve for space apps} or {price -> existing demand curve -> learning curve and fixed costs effects -> cheaper launches})? At what price ($ per kilo to LEO) does non-linearity kick in? Can we estimate the magnitude of this effect from historical data and correct for government space subsidies?

Last edited:

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
What a fascinating discussion. I won't go on my materials and energy density improvements rant again.

We already use propellants that are provide around the limit of practical performance of chemical propulsion, and we already use materials that do their job relatively well.

Even the adoption of high-strength materials such as carbon nanotube composites would not suddenly revolutionise everything, though they would improve existing technology greatly (for example a much lighter structure would aid in the construction of an SSTO, but would not solve cost and maintainance issues).

Beyond that, when regarding unknown technologies, speculation is pointless, as we know nothing of the attributes and limitations of things that we... know nothing about, and there is nothing from preventing the suggestion of "super magic metal that transforms into rocketfuel and Makes You A Cup Of Tea Too!"

Hence why some people believe that NASA human spaceflight has been just a glorified jobs programme since Apollo ended. Shuttle was a way to keep the army of engineers and aerospace workers busy.

Exactly.

It's obviously easy to criticize it from the hindsight, but there were some clear thinking people even back then who knew where the programme was heading. Too bad nobody listened to them.

I don't blame them, considering what position they were in.

But this is interesting:
Years later he developed a reputation for rather esoteric interests that might best be described as “new age,” such as a belief in unusual energy sources.

Hmm...

Orgone energy IN SPACE? :rolleyes:

I feel like I am moving in circles here. For the last time - the launch price is the root of the problem. When a kilo-to-LEO costs $10,000, it has an immense effect on everything else. Satellites need to be overdesigned to last for a long time with no maintenance, which drives up cost. Reusability is discouraged. Low demand for space station modules and other components of the space "infrastructure" are not mass produced at all, which makes every piece a (very costly) prototype. And so on, and so forth.

Once you find a way to get things up cheaper, prices will fall across the board and the market will grow correspondingly. Positive feedback loop.

And you want to design satellites to last for years with no maintainance anyway, because maintainance is expensive (even with superlow launch rates). Drop launch rates and it now makes sense to cut the service life of a satellite from 20 years to 5, and just launch a new satellite every five years... you still have to deal with the dead satellites though.

The market will grow according to demand. The problem is, the demand doesn't exist for the kind of growth you are talking about.

And... yes... there are low production rates for spaceflight components and such. For good reason; the production rates don't need to be high. The ISS is the ISS, and even if you had $100/kg, it wouldn't make sense spending the money on making 20 Columbus modules, when you would only need one.

That said, you could construct a station far more efficiently. There are parts on the ISS that could arguably have more commonality than they do in reality, for example you could build a station out of near-identical modules and outfit them all differently. But there is some commonality between the station modules, and for good reason- no purpose in totally redesigning everything when you don't have to.

Christ The whole point of my showing the potential capabilities of a Skylon-like vehicle was to explain WHY and HOW will other business activities in space become interesting. If your short-term memory can't handle that, than I am wasting my time here.

You do not build a truck to drive into the desert, you build a town in the desert for the truck to drive to.

You explained the truck, but the town in the desert is still nowhere to be seen.

So far, you've debunked nothing. You see this "chicken-or-egg" as unsolvable and apply an extremely pessimistic outlook to every challenge. I respect that as a statement of your scepticism, not as a refutation of anything that I wrote.

I could also say that, say that you discount problems and approach the situation with unrestrained optimisim... but such accusations are pointless here.

So? As I said, ISS is a completely new system, one of its kind. Even so, it could have been built much quicker and much cheaper, if politics didn't interfere so much. In the final bill (that's the 100 billion figure that is floating around), the actual cost of the hardware will be one of the smaller items. Launch costs including both the assembly and ressuply flights, as well as the cost of the non-reusable supply ships, will likely overshadow everything else.

I claimed that hardware costs would be high, you claimed that they would be low... it is a debate settled only by concrete numbers.

And the ISS... uses Russian station modules, American shuttle-derived technology. First of its kind, yes, but brand new technology? Not strictly.

So is FTL travel, the difference is that if you actually have models of the final product that work at least in laboratory conditions, you're halfway there. That can't be said about anti-matter drives, which exist only on paper :p

But! We have electron microscopes, and particle accelerators, and penning traps... they all exist, it is just a matter of combining that technical knowledge into an antimatter spacecraft. :lol:

Except for the hybrid jet-rocket engines and active cooling (which on Skylon isn't as complicated as it seems), everything else has been used in space for decades! Woo, I am excited too

Seriously, I think that if something is going to kill Skylon, it's the aerodynamic properties of its airframe. I really hope they've modelled that right.

I am sure the turbine engines on the A380 are not as complicated as they 'seem', either.

And the fact that everything else on Skylon has been used in spaceflight technology for decades does not help, because as we know spaceflight technology is extremely costly.

Aerodynamics are probably the last thing you'd forget about or mess up. But cost and maintainance issues could be a different story.

Every new commercial airliner is a new system, but there is something called flight testing. AFAIK REL wants to do literally hundreds of flights before Skylon starts being sold to the customers. These flights should reveal all major problems with the spaceplane before it enters the market.

Airliners are flight tested, I wonder why they still crash... :uhh:

REL's intention to do "hundreds of test flights before making a sale" will be a clear indicator of the success of the program: if they fail to have a high enough flight rate and a low enough cost to perform such testing, then it is clear that Skylon is not viable as a "super-low launch cost" vehicle.

Well, obviously, although as I understand it, the G forces and temperature ranges Skylon will experience during the flight are pretty benign compared to contemporary spacecraft. I think the maximum G-forces are below 3 G during the ascent phase and below 2 G during re-entry.

Modern passenger aircraft undergo atmospheric reentry and endure 2-3G regularly? They are made of superlightweight airframes that contain cryogenic liquids? They are attached to rocket engines?

This I did not know. :shifty:

Again, as I understand it, Skylon should be able to return to the base in case of a non-critical failure (which is infinitely better than what current expendable systems can do). Of course if one of its SABRE engines blows up, then it's over and Skylon goes down - though the same can be said about contemporary twin-engine airliners.

Contemporary twin-engine airliners are still capable of flight on one engine.

Granted, vehicles like STS and the Saturn V had engine-out capacity, I'm not sure about Skylon... but if one of those engines has a catastrophic failure, and it shoots debris through the airframe and into the propellant tank... ouch.

And even if you did have an engine-out, the engines on Skylon are so far apart, that countering the torque from the engine with thrust vectoring might lead to such a degredation of performance that it leaves the vehicle unable to reach orbit- maybe, anyway.

And if there is any failure that leads to the damage of the TPS, or even the active cooling system... then you could encounter bad problems. For all its fragility, at least the TPS on STS is passive. What if a pump, or a coolant radiator, or something else in the active cooling system fails?

Anyway, you're using red herring tactics here. Skylon is not supposed to be as safe as commercial airliners, that would indeed be impossible to achieve. It's supposed to be much safer than contemporary space launch systems. It's been said that the STS is 73,000 times less reliable than commercial airliners based on its accident rate per number of flights. According to Mark Hempsell, the probability of loss of life on Skylon (if it it carries crew) should be roughly 1/10,000 initially, 1/100,000 later. That's still two orders of magnitude or more worse than what's acceptable in commercial aviation, but more than 100 or 1000 times better than STS.

So, what complacency about safety are you talking about? If the stated aim of the company is to make Skylon so much safer than STS and they still think it is possible, you can't really complain. Whether they can achieve these levels of reliabilit, that's obviously impossible for us to determine. I am slightly optimistic, you're not, let's leave it at that.

I never said "as safe as commercial airliners", you seemed to imply that Skylon would have a reliability closer to that of airliners than launch vehicles.

Safer than STS... I don't see the problem with that, but when you're suddenly coming up with failure rates 1-2 orders of magnitude lower than most other launch vehicles, then something is odd. The conspiracy theory slant can't be used here, because nobody wants a launch failure, and if it is so easily possible, one wonders why it is never seen.

:rolleyes:

:facepalm:

:suicide:

I was thinking about repeating (again) why you're wrong about these statements, but seeing that you're missing the point on purpose, I realized I'd be wasting my time.

No really, please do explain. I'm completely clueless about why you think my arguments are nonsense, as from where I stand, they make 100% total sense.

I am by no means "missing the point on purpose", I just think you are incorrect.

10 years is optimistic, 20 is more realistic. Your estimates (hundreds or thousands of years) are not even pessimistic, they're insane.

I am basing my estimates on the fact that space is incredibly hostile and can support life only with intensive and costly technology, and there is no reason to move huge amounts of people to such a location, there is no profit to be gained from mass-scale human expansion, and the fact that automation can and will replace at least almost all human functions aboard a spacecraft or space based facility, and such systems are easier to use in space than human workers.

Space is now far more important to us that it was 20 years ago, and we're using it just for telecommunications and navigation. It's hard to imagine a scenario where space isn't even more important for everyday life on Earth 20 years in the future, or 50 years in the future, or 100 years in the future.

Yes, telecommunications and navigation are extremely important to us now, but they're an example of why explosive human expansion into space doesn't make sense. For one, growth is based on demand (the only reason space should become so hugely incredibly important to us in 50-100 that I can see, is because you think it will be). There is demand for navigation and telecommunications, but no demand for people living and working on Mars, since it does not affect those of us back home, and it is only a way of spending money.

As for your "manifest destiny" - humanity can either sit on Earth and wait until it dies off for one reason or another, or expand and exploit the opportunities space offers us. I am saying that the second option will become feasible within the next 50 years. You're either in favour of the first option, or you think it will take hundreds of years to even get to Mars. I think that's preposterous and in clear conflict with the observable trends in technology, economy and general human outlook.

The general trend in technology, economy, and general human outlook, is that we've picked most of the low-hanging fruit. What remains is the difficult stuff. Space is one of those things. Space is not the New World, space is not the West. Space is space. Space is a place where there is radiation and vacuum and temperature gradients and hypervelocity particles. It isn't to be taken lightly.

Now, I never suggested that humans would never move off of Earth. If we establish a human colony on Mars in 300 years, this would be a tiny amount of time in geological scales, and even a small amount of time on human scales (consider that agriculture has existed for ~10 000 years, into which you could fit a 300 year time period over 30 times).

If we establish a huge presence in the solar system in 3000 years, this is still a tiny timeframe.

My point is, that we could very well be on the way to "Manifest Destiny IN SPACE", but there's no reason for it to take, 10, 20 years, or even 50 or 100 years. We could expand into space at a snail's pace for us, but at a blinding pace for the Earth.

Now here's the problem with space:

- It's difficult to get to. Even if you slash your launch costs, it is still difficult to get to.

- It's difficult to survive in. There is a vacuum, there is radiation, there are temperature extremes, there is microgravity, etc.

- There's very little out there. Empty space is empty. The Moon is low in volatiles, the asteroids and Mars less so, but it isn't like they're teeming with life or fertiliser, or valuable materials- Earth's hydrosphere and biosphere have put us in a pretty good position, resource wise, compared to the rest of the system.

- The first two conspire to make spaceflight dangerous, more so than air travel, and expensive, more so than air travel. This is undeniable fact based on simple physics and engineering constraints that can never be removed from the situation.

- The first four mean that it makes little sense to access resources in space for use on Earth, and there is little incentive for people to move to environments that are poorer than the environment they're already in.

- Most things that humans can do in space, automated systems can do for less mass, less complexity, less cost, and less risk.

Now the space enthusiast/advocate comes along, and says "Man Shall Conquer Space Soon!" The only reason for the existence of that whole idea, is from an outmoded era when the reality of spaceflight was not fully understood. The space enthusiast will adhere painfully to optimisim and put forth any number of dubious reasons for massive space exploitation, regardless of the harsh reality of the general uselessness of space.

And because the space enthusiast is... enthusiastic, has been studying the wonders of space for years, or even decades, and has probably gotten pretty annoyed with people who might well think the Earth was flat, they'll stick to this idea and defend it no matter what, because they well and truely believe that this is the destiny of humanity and the best possible future for our civilisation, and disregard and defend against any arguments otherwise.

Where did I said that?

I thought you inferred it.

According to Zubrin and the article I linked in one of my previous posts, X-33/VentureStar was killed on purpose. Zubrin explicitly states that the new management of L-M (or was it just Martin-Marietta back then? I don't remember) which came after Augustine was opposed to X-33 exactly because it threatened their existing expendable launcher business. For this reason, the project didn't get the funding the company initially promised. The politicians delivered the coup-de-grace when they insisted on using a composite hydrogen tank that simply didn't work. As a result, the whole project collapsed and was cancelled.

Boeing might have had an interest in developing such a vehicle, but since its merger with McDonnell-Douglas and the beginning of its partnership with Lockheed-Martin under the United Launch Alliance, any incentive to develop a working SSTO has evaporated.

It's a pretty interesting fact that all major work on SSTO designs in the US stopped after the wave of mergers in the aerospace industry two decades ago. I wonder why is that

Conspiracy! :blink:

Yet the Americans allowed a similar situation to develop in the space launch industry with dire consequences - even with current technology, space launchers shouldn't be as expensive as they are.

You say that, doesn't mean it is the objective reality.

I completely fail to see how 95% of the cost of a modern launch vehicle is totally unecessary.

Perhaps we need to determine what behaviors it would take to eliminate money and politics. I don't care how how entrenched that crap is in day-to-day living. I don't really give a a hoot how stupid and far-fetched a world with minimal politics and financial constraints is. Politics and finances only serve to stymie creative talent. A lot of that is excess baggage and needs to go. Because with that baggage bogging you down you end up right where we are..

A world with minimal politics and financial constraints is pretty much impossible, after all such things are human nature and engrained into our society by millions of years of evolution.

Even when you remove politics, there will always be economic concerns. It's a system, it doesn't even have to be capitalist, or communist, or whatever. It has parallels with an ecology for example. It doesn't make sense to spend a huge amount of, effort, if not anything else, on things that do not provide any gains.

I'm really interested in the details of that positive feedback stuff.

I'm still trying to figure out if any sort of positive feedback has any validity here, considering the nature of the destination.

IMO there's too much assumption that manned spaceflight is highly important.

Last edited:

Victor_D

Reaction score
Resist, resist, resist... I can't :tiphat:

No, sorry, this is starting to feel like a conversation with a broken gramophone. You're a pessimist, I get it and I am done trying to change your mind.

Wishbone

Clueless developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Money matters, politics matter (since they drive the largest customer's demand). Positive feedback exists in principle, but there almost always appear counteracting forces - like the increased life of geostationary sats. In space flight, demand may be limited to some proportion of the world's GDP, and it may well be possible that no cost advantage will push the demand past this bottleneck. Am open to ideas, though.

(Do all of you remember the times of Teledesic? :) )

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
No, sorry, this is starting to feel like a conversation with a broken gramophone. You're a pessimist, I get it and I am done trying to change your mind.

You will never succeed in changing my mind; only I can do that.

I am not trying to change your mind. I am just trying to illustrate the logic of what I believe, and if you don't want to see that, then, well... I am sorry.

Positive feedback exists in principle, but there almost always appear counteracting forces - like the increased life of geostationary sats.

Or the fact that automated systems can do human jobs in space, and do them better (from a mass/supply/complexity point of view). When we consider both the fact that spaceflight is actually very suited to automated systems (for example, trajectories and manuvers can be calculated via relatively simple mathamatics, unlike the case of aircraft and especially ground-craft, which have to navigate obstacles, etc. If we consider that satellites could be built for easy repair and servicing by robotic manipulators that could be operated from the ground, sending manned missions or having a manned presence to fix satellites or other such orbital infrastructure suddenly becomes a whole lot less attractive.

And even if you do needs a human team for repair/servicing, there need not be a permanent presence on the spacecraft. This is a particularly interesting case as it has already happened with the Hubble telescope- those shuttle crews visited for several days, Hubble didn't need a hab attached to it and monthly Shuttle resupply flights.

(Do all of you remember the times of Teledesic? )

:blink:

So much for that hopeful concept... :shifty:

Last edited:

RGClark

Mathematician
Reaction score
Website
exoscientist.blogspot.com
I argued in the thread An SSTO as "God and Robert Heinlein intended" that space costs can be reduced by two orders of magnitude in the near term. This will result in large corporations, wealthy individuals, and most national governments possessing their own manned orbital spacecraft.
This clearly will result in some national security concerns that should start being addressed now. I found this report after a web search:

National Security Implications of Inexpensive Space Access.
by William W. Bruner III
"INTRODUCTION
There has been a great deal of recent discussion in the space policy community about the technical challenges of gaining economical and routine access to space. Despite this, there has been little written about the opportunities which exist for the development of new missions for US military space forces. Neither has there been much discussion of the security challenges that any resultant proliferation of access to space may present to the United States and to the established international order. Even the most forward looking space "advocates" in the Department of Defense assume that access to space will continue to be prohibitively expensive and difficult for the foreseeable future, that an American decision not to take advantage of the military potential of space is deterministic for the rest of the world, and that "navigation, communications, and surveillance activities will likely remain the limits of space-based capabilities" for all countries.
Part of this failure to consider the possibilities of a world radically changed by inexpensive access to space is a reaction to the "expectations gap" set up by the gulf between mankind's collective dreams about its future in space and the realities of its achievements so far. The collective public and political mind has been shaped by powerful and convincing fictional images of space activities that we are not likely to see for a hundred years. Real world, but slow moving and silent, pictures of Earth from space taken from small spacecraft with cramped cabins and short mission durations suffer greatly in comparison to images of robust and operable spacecraft spanning the galaxy at faster than light speeds. A century after the Russian Konstantin Tsiolkovsky conceptually solved most of the problems involved in human space flight, over a third of a century since the Soviet Sputnik ushered in the space age, and over a quarter century since America left humanity's first footsteps on another celestial body, many thoughtful and technically literate people are conditioned by historical experience to think of access to space as an expensive enterprise that is technically difficult, dangerous, and the exclusive province of huge government and corporate bureaucracies..."
http://www.fas.org/spp/eprint/bruner.htm

Bob Clark

Victor_D

Reaction score
I just skimmed through "Space 2030: Exploring the Future of Space Applications" (a 2004 report by OECD). It's a sober, realistic assessment that uses three scenarios (one optimistic and two pessimistic ones) to predict how space development may look like in the next 20 years (30 at the time it was compiled). I am pleased to see that it generally supports my views ( :lol: ).

Anyway, the report identifies 5 broad areas of growth in the space sector:

1) Telecommunications (increased demand for greater coverage, broadband connections, etc.)

2) Navigation and Earth observation (more precise GPS-like systems, EO satellites helping to manage agriculture, fisheries, forestries, urban development, and monitor the environmental changes, pollution, greenhouse emissions, and so on)

3) In-space servicing of satellites and other space assets (maintenance, upgrading)

4) Space tourism (both orbital and suborbital, potentially also beyond LEO)

5) In-space manufacturing (production of high-value products such as unique pharmaceuticals, alloys, crystals, etc.)

---

Of these, the first three - telecommunications, navigation/earth observation, and in-space servicing - are predicted to grow substantially under all three scenarios. The latter two - space tourism and in-space manufacturing - depend on the progress of critical technologies that are necessary to make them feasible.

One thing i missed there was space-based research, which I think is included under 5), but without being explicitly mentioned. It's definitely implied - if you want to produce things in space, you first have to make research there. So I'd add it as a separate category:

6) Space-based research - space offers two unique properties that are hard to obtain on Earth, zero-G environment and easy access to high grade vacuum. Sectors which promise fast growth in the next two decades could take advantage of these properties and potentially follow up with limited in-space manufacturing.

As far as I can tell, the report doesn't count with highly disruptive technologies (e.g. Skylon-like SSTOs) becoming available quickly. It speaks of spaceplanes, but generally takes the view they will be developed by governments and won't initially be very competitive.

Last edited:

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
1) Telecommunications (increased demand for greater coverage, broadband connections, etc.)

2) Navigation and Earth observation (more precise GPS-like systems, EO satellites helping to manage agriculture, fisheries, forestries, urban development, and monitor the environmental changes, pollution, greenhouse emissions, and so on)

This is already occuring. As we can see, with the use of modern technology, there is no need for large amounts of humans in space for these applications.

3) In-space servicing of satellites and other space assets (maintenance, upgrading)

Also does not need large-scale human presence in space. See [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Infrastructure_Servicing"]Space Infrastructure Servicing[/ame], [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mission_Extension_Vehicle"]Mission Extension Vehicle[/ame], and [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orbital_Express"]Orbital Express[/ame].

Highly modular designs could greatly aid the ability to repair satellites and prolong their service lives.

5) In-space manufacturing (production of high-value products such as unique pharmaceuticals, alloys, crystals, etc.)

Which is also not synonymous with large-scale human presence.

6) Space-based research - space offers two unique properties that are hard to obtain on Earth, zero-G environment and easy access to high grade vacuum. Sectors which promise fast growth in the next two decades could take advantage of these properties and potentially follow up with limited in-space manufacturing.

We currently have a 400+ ton research laboratory in orbit. It doesn't do much, but it is an indication of space research not needing 'hundreds and hundreds of people' in space.

4) Space tourism (both orbital and suborbital, potentially also beyond LEO)

Approximately 37 000 people visited Antarctica in the season of 2009-2010. If we imagine a similar scale of tourism to LEO with the following specifications;

- 24 passengers per flight (out of Skylon's 'up to 30 astronauts').

- On-orbit duration of 2 weeks.

- Four LEO space hotels.

We come up with figures of:

1423 people in LEO at any one time (not counting rotations, etc).

356 people per space station.

60 flights every 2 weeks.

15 flights per station every 2 weeks.

~1400 people most of the time is an extremely impressive number, considering it is over 200 times the current population of LEO. However, it is not a figure in the tens of thousands, or hundreds of thousands, for example (even though tens of thousands of people are visiting space yearly). Granted, this is also not counting other aspects such as hotel staff, for example.

A trip to Antarctica might set you back $3000 to $8000. You stated a five-figure number, which would be what? Five digits, or five zeroes? I am having difficulty imagining a LEO trip for only $20 000, when a far less technologically demanding suborbital trip is said to cost $200 000.

Even considering low launch costs, one must remember that it is vital to consider the cost of things other than the mass of the passenger- such as the mass of the passenger pod, per passenger, as well as food, other supplies, mass/infrastructure/food and salaries for attendants and vehicle operators, and the cost of the orbital station and its upkeep, as well as passenger training. With all these things in mind, it is not a stretch to consider a cost a good deal over $20 000, even with absurdly low launch prices.

A higher cost will mean fewer people, though this may be offset somewhat by higher interest in LEO when compared to Antarctica.

As far as I can tell, the report doesn't count with highly disruptive technologies (e.g. Skylon-like SSTOs) becoming available quickly. It speaks of spaceplanes, but generally takes the view they will be developed by governments and won't initially be very competitive.

I think we need to make a distinction between $2000-1000/kg disruptive and $200-100/kg disruptive. The former I can begin to believe, but the latter is truely extraordinary, and one should very understandably be highly skeptical.

What you're saying here is that 80-90% of the modern space launch cost is for some reason unecessary, and to be honest, that makes no sense.

Last edited:

redneck

Reaction score
Oh goody now it won't cost as much to wage global-thermo-nuclear war. Think of all the money we can save. :shifty:

RGClark

Mathematician
Reaction score
Website
exoscientist.blogspot.com
Any one who has any doubts that the move to commercial space is the only way to reduce the cost to space should read this:

As military-launch costs soar, would-be competitors protest.
By Mark K. Matthews, Washington Bureau
June 26, 2011
“Company officials said the cost of parts has gone up, and the uncertainty of post-shuttle work at NASA has resulted in subcontractors raising prices. As a result, ULA is sharply increasing the prices it charges the Defense Department to launch military satellites, prompting the Air Force to raise its projected launch costs by nearly 50 percent during the next four years.
“In addition, the company is demanding — and federal officials are acquiescing — that government agencies commit to buying more rockets than they’re likely to need from 2013 to 2017, all in the name of maintaining a ‘resilient, healthy and flexible space industrial base’.”
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/space/os-military-missile-business-20110626,0,7372393.story

In other words the government is saying, “Raise the price? OK, we’ll buy more.”

Bob Clark

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
It's a conspiracy! :shifty:

To be fair, they say they're raising the price due to increases in parts cost and uncertainty of work. At least that would be a legitimate reason for raising costs, regardless of whatever steps people want to take to "maintain a resilient, healthy and flexible space industrial base".

Last edited:

C3PO

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
To be fair, they say they're raising the price due to increases in parts cost and uncertainty of work. At least that would be a legitimate reason for raising costs, regardless of whatever steps people want to take to "maintain a resilient, healthy and flexible space industrial base".

I'm not sure that "maintain" is the correct term. :lol: