Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Now - 2020: Patent wars inhibit any progress
2020s: Swinging 60s revival. Apple produces the iRocket.
2030s: Moai rampage results in the cancellations of Apples iMoonlight project.
2040s: Google-Facebook presents the first cloud on the moon.
2050s: warp drive invented, but production is impossible because the bluish shine of the nazelles is a registered trademark of Apple iMoonshine.
2060s: another Zombie attack. Nothing new in the exosphere.
2070s: second coming of Steve Jobs.
2080s: The first satellite with fusion reactor is launched. Greenpeace announces manned spaceflight program of their own for protests "where the pollution is caused".
2090s: The warp drive with pink shine is created. production is finally possible, after a non-disclosed deal with Sanrio.

Jarvitä

Reaction score
Reminds me of Orion's Arm for some reason.

Orion's Arm is basically throwing feasible hard sci-fi concepts together and seeing what sticks. It's pretty generic, although that timeline is very far to the optimistic side of predictions.

---------- Post added at 17:49 ---------- Previous post was at 17:42 ----------

Now - 2020: Patent wars inhibit any progress
2020s: Swinging 60s revival. Apple produces the iRocket.
2030s: Moai rampage results in the cancellations of Apples iMoonlight project.
2040s: Google-Facebook presents the first cloud on the moon.
2050s: warp drive invented, but production is impossible because the bluish shine of the nazelles is a registered trademark of Apple iMoonshine.
2060s: another Zombie attack. Nothing new in the exosphere.
2070s: second coming of Steve Jobs.
2080s: The first satellite with fusion reactor is launched. Greenpeace announces manned spaceflight program of their own for protests "where the pollution is caused".
2090s: The warp drive with pink shine is created. production is finally possible, after a non-disclosed deal with Sanrio.

The perceived absurdity is supposed to build up gradually, not hit you like a RKKV. :thumbup:

Sorpenderin

Reaction score
actuly i changed my mind

i changed my mind about my previus vision. here are my new ideas for the next 100 years.

2013-plans for deep space travel constructed
2013-private crew fly to iss
2014-iss salvaged and modified with new modules
2015-plans for orion type nuclear pulse
2018-orion goes to leo
2019-orion sets out for mars:)
2020-orion returns leaving 2 crewmembers on a base on mars
2021- flying cars
2022-preparing jupiter flight
2022-jupiter ship departs:)
2022-space stations con structed of ETS
2024-saturn ship departs

SOALAR SYSTEM EXPLORATION and first INTERSTELLER PROBE
/////////////////////////////////////////////////////
2025-asteroid mining
2028-moon colonies planed
2031-intersteller probes under construction:thumbup:
2035-intersteller probe launched

2039-SSTOS
2040-mars colony grows
2045-new half light speed drive under construction
INTERSTELLER VOYAGES and earth prolems
////////////////////////////////////
2050s-new drive developed as earth becomes pouluted
2067-FIRST MANNED INTERSTELLER flight
2070-fusion ramjet developed
2075-first intersteller flight lands
2080-fusion ramjet under construction
2081-damage to earth
2082-space colonies started
INTERGALACtic travel
////////////////////////////////////////

2091-probe launched
2098-MANNED INTERGALACTIC MISSION

2112-humans extinct

goaowonk

mnlaflojalee
Reaction score
2013 Human extintion due to massive morphine addiction

Really, I think that if things doesn't change, we'll be in a serious war in a few years, just see what happened a century ago.
And as you've said before, space is being too expensive and worthless for current politic strategies. USA will be a second potency thanks by its experience, and maybe Brazil or India will be approaching to ESA and what rests of Roscosmos. But if we don't go on another Cold War, they won't be so interested on space except on little scientific groups.
Manned Mars landings? Moon Bases? LEO cities? Honestly, that's reserved to the 2001 saga, not for a close future. But robot exploration surely will survive...
And remember! We've done interestellar travelling! What about Voyager's? (OK, that's maybe a little slow but if they left Solar System, they are going closer to other stars haha)

So enjoy realistic Orbiter and Sci-Fi books like me!!

Sorpenderin

Reaction score
2013 Human extintion due to massive morphine addiction

Really, I think that if things doesn't change, we'll be in a serious war in a few years, just see what happened a century ago.
And as you've said before, space is being too expensive and worthless for current politic strategies. USA will be a second potency thanks by its experience, and maybe Brazil or India will be approaching to ESA and what rests of Roscosmos. But if we don't go on another Cold War, they won't be so interested on space except on little scientific groups.
Manned Mars landings? Moon Bases? LEO cities? Honestly, that's reserved to the 2001 saga, not for a close future. But robot exploration surely will survive...
And remember! We've done interestellar travelling! What about Voyager's? (OK, that's maybe a little slow but if they left Solar System, they are going closer to other stars haha)

So enjoy realistic Orbiter and Sci-Fi books like me!!

isent this thread about what you would like to hapen in the next hundred years, not what would realisticly happen in the next 100 years . if i was supposed to write about what would most likely happen in the next 100 years then it would be more like this:

2016-iss is deorbited
2020-chinese space station
2025-private companys launch sattalite
2034-first completley accurate,commpletly realistic virtual interstellar flight
2060-first private
2073-virtual INTERSTELLAR and INTERGALACTIC MISSIONS 2 precent of humans go on virtual intertellar and intergalactic flight

Keatah

Reaction score
What you mean by Virtual Interstellar Flight? Can you clarify that for me?

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
What you mean by Virtual Interstellar Flight? Can you clarify that for me?

Perhaps it's like Celestia, but better.

Both of these have already happened.

Isn't it officially termed a "space-laboratory module"?

Keatah

Reaction score
Well millions can participate in virtual exploration by looking at pictures of Mars taken by unmanned spacecraft. Mars already seems like it's next door with all the rovers and stuff going on.

I'd rather spend money on unmanned spacecraft that can stay on station for months or years than to send a small crew somewhere for a short amount of time. Much more science can be done. And if you throw in a few sample return missions, well that just takes the cake! Or rocks, ba'da DUM!

Codz

NEA Scout Wrencher
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
I'd rather spend money on unmanned spacecraft that can stay on station for months or years than to send a small crew somewhere for a short amount of time. Much more science can be done. And if you throw in a few sample return missions, well that just takes the cake! Or rocks, ba'da DUM!

We can and are doing both. No reason to pick one or the other.

richfororbit

Reaction score
Mr Heinberg has a point...

If it's okay to type my view.

I doubt space flight will succeed in a utopian way, or an idealistic view. Like many have typed before on this thread, most people don't care for this subject.

If anything, the equipment on Mars and the Moon could be the only record of humanity, and not forgetting the Voyager probes, if we were to presume there is other life in our galaxy alone somewhere, and is intelligent could discover that.

I think the big issue in this century is the energy problems, and overpopulation. There are limits to growth.

Richard Heinberg who has written books over the years, and is knowledgeable of societies and how they have used energy in the past, and why the population may have migrated to other locations, usually out of the need for more resources. I think he put it quite correctly.

He mentioned the constellation program about nine years ago before it even took of the ground, with Lockheed getting the contract for the MPCV. In an interview, about thirty minutes in he gives his view on that. 30-33 minutes.

I hope this isn't going to hit necroposting...:uhh:

Pioneer

Reaction score
Ever since Constellation was cancelled by Obama, I doubt that America's space program will ever go to Mars or even back to the Moon. I hope Russia's and China's space programs progress enough so at least someone would finally go to the outer planets.

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Ever since Constellation was cancelled by Obama, I doubt that America's space program will ever go to Mars or even back to the Moon. I hope Russia's and China's space programs progress enough so at least someone would finally go to the outer planets.

I suppose, but on the other hand, what difference does it make if NASA has the Ares or SLS? (or for that matter, why an HLV to begin with...)

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I suppose, but on the other hand, what difference does it make if NASA has the Ares or SLS? (or for that matter, why an HLV to begin with...)

None at all... Actually NASA is today closer to flying to Mars then with the Constellation program... only the SLS is still sitting on the money like a dragon on the heap of gold.

If NASA would have three times its current budget, the SLS could work... but NASA won't get that much money unless a big asteroid threatens to destroy Washington DC.

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
None at all... Actually NASA is today closer to flying to Mars then with the Constellation program... only the SLS is still sitting on the money like a dragon on the heap of gold.

If NASA would have three times its current budget, the SLS could work... but NASA won't get that much money unless a big asteroid threatens to destroy Washington DC.

I suppose, although work probably still needs to be done to get advanced propulsion systems into space for that kind of mission. VASIMIR would probably be good if the right power source was available.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I suppose, although work probably still needs to be done to get advanced propulsion systems into space for that kind of mission. VASIMIR would probably be good if the right power source was available.

I don't think we need a heavy launch vehicle for that. It is a dinosaur. We only need it, if we would never expect to master on-orbit assembly - and with the ISS project, we have come a long way ahead in that field of astronautics.

Why can't we for example assemble a rocket engine in space? ...wait... that gives me an idea for an experiment on the ISS...