News The Samsung Galaxy Note 7 is dead

Keatah

Reaction score
I hope this also pushes manufacturers to consider using removable batteries again, or at least, ones that only require basic tools to replace.

That will never happen. It costs far too too much. And makes the phones bigger anyways..

---------- Post added at 05:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:32 AM ----------

I don't get why people want a phone so thin... What happens if/when you sit on it?

It usually bends or breaks.

I remember the thin calculator fad in the early 1980's. Still have one as thin as a U.S. 25-cent coin.

---------- Post added at 05:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:34 AM ----------

All that packaging and cardboard is sure to fuel any fire!

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
I doubt it, but even having exchangeable battery back shell would be a huge improvement.

The problem is the insane desire for flatness.

If it were like with my previous Lumia 640 then it would be ideal: single back shell, inexpensive to replace, and tool-less battery replacement is possible.

My current Moto G4 has a removable back shell, but in theory only to access SIM and SD card slots, but in practice with a small Philips screwdriver it is easily openable. Not optimal, but I can live with it.

The problem are the damn metal unibodies, like the Surface tablets, in which one has to work its way through the device from the front, which is ridiculous.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Some recall... apparently, in Switzerland you can only turn in your device in a fireproof container :facepalm:

sitha241

Reaction score
That battery inside phone can blast hard, more so if it is fully charged.
When I was in uni I worked part time in cell repair shop, and once my boss slaped iphone 4 on its back in effort to fit back panel and it caught fire, we had to evacuate for one hour until it was safe to go back.
And damn it was fire, that thing shoot 30 cm flame!
Now when working on comercial products with li ion battery I get paranoid something like this will happen to product I design, yet worse it is suposed to be worn on head.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Now when working on comercial products with li ion battery I get paranoid something like this will happen to product I design, yet worse it is suposed to be worn on head.

He, we usually have a constant supply of Tesla batteries standing around in the office. I once asked my Boss if he wasn't worried about them, and he said "well, I'm paying insurance for something, right?"

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p04c1l67

The man who made the mobile phone possible
John Goodenough's work led to the invention of the rechargeable lithium-ion battery, which is part of almost every portable electronic device.
Now 94-years-old and professor of engineering at the University of Texas at Austin, Goodenough talks to the Today programme's John Humphrys about Samsung's problems with batteries catching fire, why he has never won a Nobel Prize and why he dislikes the mobile phone.
(Photo: John Goodenough. Credit: University of Texas at Austin).
Release date:
14 October 2016
Duration:
3 minutes

Radio interview with him. Nice response to the Nobel Prize question. "That's what I call "wood, hay and stubble". Never heard it before, but I know what he means.

Last edited:

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
Not only Samsung has problems with Li-ion batteries:

https://www.wired.com/2016/10/samsung-isnt-one-lithium-ion-problems-just-ask-nasa/

robot-explosion.gif