Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I've been thinking of creating a series of scenarios/challenges
for one of my favourite space ships in Orbiter,
Douglas E. Beachy's XR2 Ravenstar.

Each one of these challenging scenarios will have a backround story,
(to get you "in character") and a fully annotated playback,
by some of the forum's finnest pilots.

Here is an example of a backround story for my "Expert/Realistic XR2 to the moon and back in 48 hours"
scenario:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Emergency live organ doner transportation

ABC News Live from Boston memorial hospital:
"The whole world knows by now the story of Jenny Brown, the six year
old girl who has managed to move the entire planet with her struggle for survival.
Jenny suffers from a downgrading desease and unless a liver doner is found,
she doesn't have much time left.
Although the doctors have moved her to the very top of the transplants
list, Jenny's condition and her rare blood type, make the finding of a compatible doner an extremely difficult task.
Her parents asked for the help of the Media, in a desperate attempt to make a world-wide search for a doner, in hope to save their little girl. The response was overwhelming, as thousands of people, all over the world, rushed to hospitals and medical centers to take the compatibility test that would allow them to donate a portion of their liver to Jenny.
Just one hour ago the world-wide search paid off... but the only doner found compatible... IS NOT ON THIS WORLD!
Chief engineer Jonathan Craig, who is stationed on the Brighton Beach Lunar Base, is the only compatible doner found so far. Mr Craig took the test at the medical facilities of the lunar base -as hundreds of others of the base's staff- and is willing to donate a portion of his liver, to save Jenny.
But the smile of relief was quickly frozen on the little girl's parents faces as they found out that the Shuttle-A, the only means of transportation from the moon at this point, needs at least 3 days to make the trip to Earth. Unfortunately the doctors were definitive: Jenny can't wait that long.
Her condition keeps detiriorating and she doesn't have more than 48 hours to get the transplant surgery."

"Ladies and gentlemen this just in from a verified Boston Memorial source:
Founder and CEO of the Altea Aerospace Company, Mr.Douglas E. Beachy [i'll have to get permission to use the name of course], just called the Director of the hospital and made this statement:
"You go ahead and start preparing Jenny for surgery. I have the ship and the crazy enough pilot to get you your doner there in time. An XR2 Ravenstar of my company's fleet is being fuelled as we speak."

Step into the shoes of commander Lee "Crashdown" Nash, the only pilot capable and "crazy enough" to get to the moon and back in 48 hours.

Your mission:

-Take off from the Cape
-Dock with Mir to refuel
-Make the run to Brighton Beach to pick up Jonathan Craig
-Get back to Earth and land at the heli-pad of the Boston Memorial
-Do all of the above in LESS than 48 hours!

The clock is ticking...
The whole world is watching...
Can you save little Jenny Brown!?

[You'll have to use the XR2RavenstarPrefs config file included with this scenario]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
It is still work in progress, (i know it could use a lot of improvement) this is just a first idea for a "script".
As you may have noticed there is a slight change from the original mission as you don't have to land back at the Cape but on a pad in Boston. (I'll make a simple base for that: a building for the hospital and a pad, after-all, hospitals don't have runways.) This also makes the scenario a bit more challenging as you'll have to hover land on that pad. I'll also make an "ambulance" skin for the XR2 and see if i can use the Scripting feature of Orbiter 2009 to have a timer counting down the time left.

Here are some ideas for scenario categories:

-Medical (organs, doners or equipment that need to be transported, and create the payloads neccesary.)
-Science (i've always wanted to "spice up" a bit that old DGIII "Venus climate change" scenario, Mars terraforming etc)
-TV Series themes (I'm a big fan of "Lost" and i'm thinking of making a scenario that gets you to take off from a "Dharma" base on the moon or somewhere, get to earth, pickup every one of the series main characters -who are all in different locations and get them all back on the moon before a certain time-limit).
-Military (Intercept missiles and boost them out of their trajectory, Black-ops, deploy spy sattelites in specific orbits, etc)
-Fun (How about picking up 12 Playmates from around the world and get them all for big party at the Playboy Mansion? hehehe)

Some more thoughts about the challenges:
-Each scenario/challenge will come with it's own settings in the XR2Ravenstar Configuration File, to make it emmm... challenging!
-How about a way to keep the "score" of each mission and post the best scores in the forum?

I'm posting this here to see what kind of interest such a scenarios pack might have.
Also to hear for more ideas for scenarios and improvements from anyone that's interested.

Cheers.

P.S.: I'm i the only one thinking that a combination of the DGIV and the XR2 would be absolutely amazing?

Shadow Addict

Reaction score
Seems like an interesting idea, though landing on a helipad with rocket engines doesn't seem smart on a building.

dgatsoulis

ele2png user
Donator
Reaction score
Yeah... the pad would be near the hospital not on top of it.
Besides, i don't now any way to put a pad on top of a building.

Ghostrider

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Ideally, you should have a small spaceport (one runway and a couple of pads) some distance from your hospital complex and a fast railway (monorail or maglev) shuttle between them. The DGIV can lift off and land on hovers, but the XR series is another matter. XRs can land on hover, but in my experience you would waste less time with a conventional runway landing.

Curtis3

Reaction score
I also have the megapack and thats really great

dbeachy1

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
alteaaerospace.com
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
The DGIV can lift off and land on hovers, but the XR series is another matter. XRs can land on hover, but in my experience you would waste less time with a conventional runway landing.

Note that the XRs can lift off via hovers on Earth if you set 'HoverEngineThrust' to the 'easy' setting in the vessel's <shipname>Prefs.cfg file:

Code:
#--------------------------------------------------------------------------
# Maximum hover engine thrust, per engine (x2 for total):
#   0 = 168 kN (easy)
#   1 = 132 kN (realistic)
#--------------------------------------------------------------------------
HoverEngineThrust=0

The default, however, is 1 ('realistic').

Ark

Reaction score
I'd love to see a pack of challenging, interesting XR-2 scenarios. One of my favorite parts of the DGIV was the pack of challenges it came with. My regular milk runs get pretty boring after a while.

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I've done STOVL with the XR2 before. :p