Transparent Aluminum - it exists!

Unstung

Reaction score
If the transparency can last, see-though planes anyone? That would be scary. :p

So, transparent aluminum is used in the windows for Star Trek, which means it can give large panoramic views outside of the spacecraft. Awesome.

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
So, transparent aluminum is used in the windows for Star Trek, which means it can give large panoramic views outside of the spacecraft. Awesome.
Actually, in First Contact, Picard talks about how there's nothing in the window at all--just a force field keeping the air in.

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
Actually, in First Contact, Picard talks about how there's nothing in the window at all--just a force field keeping the air in.

Different window. That was one that had a big shutter in front of it.

The rest of them use 3-inch or so thick transparent aluminum.

replicant

The Wanderer
Reaction score
Sigh, I only wish I were younger. What I would't give to see what the next 50 to 100 years will bring.

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Sensationalism and Stark Trek jokes aside...this isn't really a breakthrough. The aluminium shown can't be made into a window; it's a transient phenomenon and will revert quickly. I noticed they barely mentioned this little detail in the article. :p

Hartmann

Reaction score
Well in future perhaps they find the way to make the 40 femtosecons to blink very fast like a shutter and making possible to have a window or a solid wall of Aluminium.

Eccentrus

Geekernaut
Reaction score
well, I once watched in Discovery channel that Aluminium Crystals are made into winshields for Humvees because it can block even a sniper round.

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Well in future perhaps they find the way to make the 40 femtosecons to blink very fast like a shutter and making possible to have a window or a solid wall of Aluminium.
That's a lot of X-rays we're talking about... :lol:

Richy

VTOL craft Pilot
Reaction score
Website
www.richmans-maps.ch.vu
Maybe they're able to dope aluminium like we to with silicium to creat semiconductors, so the effect could be kept and evtl. electrically controlled (just a vision, but who knows what the next 50 years will bring)! :rolleyes:

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Has nobody brought up [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aluminium_oxynitride"]Aluminium oxynitride[/ame] in this thread yet?

It is not strictly aluminium, but a ceramic material. And it has some interesting properties...

Usquanigo

Reaction score
Website
uk.groups.yahoo.com
Sensationalism and Stark Trek jokes aside...this isn't really a breakthrough. The aluminium shown can't be made into a window; it's a transient phenomenon and will revert quickly. I noticed they barely mentioned this little detail in the article. :p

Details details.... ya gotta start somewhere. The same commentary could have been made about the first vacuum tubes, and now look at where we are. :p