TransX TransX oddity ... compatibility issue?

cymrych

The Probe abides
Donator
Reaction score
Hi all,

So, I've been away from Orbiter for a few years (too cheap to buy a remote Numpad for my laptop, lol) but I recently saw that a new RC was available, gave it a shot, and lo and behold, I fell in love all over again!

Except with TransX. Using the TransX build that came with the RC2 (Nov 09) package, I keep getting a weird error while still on the ground, setting up an escape route to Mars from terra prime. Now, I know it's been a couple of years, but TransX doesn't look to have changed all THAT much, so I must be doing something wrong.

When I start pumping up my orbit with Prograde Vel, all looks fine until my hypothetical gets close to target. Then, all of a sudden, the dotted position line jumps to the wrong side of the orbit and my Closest Approach seems to go to infinity (at least, I think that's what happens. I get a result like 1.#QO). What's worse, nothing I can do recovers from this position: I can adjust any of the 4 variables and it simply never changes the Cl Ap estimate. I can even change targets (eg, Mars to Jupiter) and the thing still seems locked up.

I've tried about everything I can think of, but can't getting this figured out. I've literally, step by tedious step, walked through every manual and video tutorial I could find, even set up my scenario with known good variable parameters, and still can't get it to go. Always get that weird result.

This new Orbiter build has been out for a while, and TransX is being packaged with it. Anyone else have this problem? I figure if it were a compatibility issue, someone would have definitely mentioned it by now, but I haven't seen any mention of it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! I'm just itching to get out into the interplanetary dust!

---------- Post added 03-11-10 at 12:34 AM ---------- Previous post was 03-10-10 at 11:44 PM ----------

Resolved .... At least, I think so.

Why do I never find solutions until just AFTER I post a question? Been farting around for a week with TransX, couldn't find much. But 10 minutes after I posted my question, I stumbled on a post here with my exact same problem.

The solution, it would seem, was that the TransX build that currently comes with the latest RC of Orbiter is slightly out of date (version 3.14.0.2). Downloaded the latest TransX version (3.14.0.3) from the Hangar, and all seems well thus far.

Do have a quick question though. On that other post, a possible solution was mentioned by one of the main fellas here (PSPenguin, in this thread http://www.orbiter-forum.com/showthread.php?t=11770 ) that a .dll file in the main Orbiter folder was likely off. Specifically, he said to install msvcr80.dll.

Well, my Orbiter folder has msvcr71. Ought I to update this to ...80? I also have a msvcr71.dll. Should that be updated to ...80 as well? My knowledge of C library stuff is, well, vague at best, so I don't want to screw anything up if I don't need to!

Thanks

Last edited: