travelling from earth to europa

caningo

Developer-in-training
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have a quick question. To go to Europa taking off from KSC, do I have to set up my IMFD to target Jupiter and then once I am there orbit it to change courses to Europa? I am a little confused on doing planet to other planet moon travel. :(

Caningo

caningo

Developer-in-training
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Can anyone help out plz? :(

Reaction score
Yes, you would first set your target to Jupiter and then, once your were close (i.e. within Jupiter's SOI or close to it) set your target to Europa.

(If you want to be able to plan the whole trip from the get-go I'd recommend TransX. It's not as accurate as IMFD in execution but among other things it will let you set a moon of another planet as your final target from the start. I typically end up using both on complicated flights, their relative strengths compliment each other very well.)

ar81

Reaction score
Website
www.orbithangar.com
Right in the limit of Jupiter SOI, make a sling to Europa. Your vessel is the source and Europa is target.
Use this tutorial to make slings with IMFD
[ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=3403"]Tutorial: Concepts for Interplanetary MFD 4.2.1[/ame]

caningo

Developer-in-training
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Thanks to both of you for replying. I will try out of both of your recommendations and let you know what happens. :)

caningo

Developer-in-training
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
HELP with IMFD Slingshot!

Hi everybody. :)

It's been long time since I've done interplanetary travel and used IMFD also. Today I tried to travel to Europa from Earth. As I was at the edge of Jupiter's SOI I prepared to do a slingshot. Just as ar81's tutorial instructs, I opened course and put target intercept to Europa. After that I opened slingshot in the other MFD, however it said that no data was available from the course program and I could do nothing. :sorry:

How is this possible? I made sure that both MFD's were shared. I also did a planet approach burn and raised the periapisis to 50km. Does equatorial inclination have anything to do maybe? If someone could help me I would really appreciate it.

Thanks a ton. :p

ar81

Reaction score
Website
www.orbithangar.com
You need to go from Earth (your vessel as source) to Jupiter (target) using Sun as reference, as you enter Jupiter SOI, you do a sling (your vessel as source) to reach Europa (target) using Jupiter as reference.

caningo

Developer-in-training
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
You need to go from Earth (your vessel as source) to Jupiter (target) using Sun as reference, as you enter Jupiter SOI, you do a sling (your vessel as source) to reach Europa (target) using Jupiter as reference.

I did so. Don't you say in your tutorial that first you have to set plan in the course program and then course relays the info to slingshot?

Slingshot won't let me input anything, and apparently its not receiving data from course. :sorry:

Course lets me make a burn towards Europa but I'm not sure that's what I want. I tried doing it and I burnt in Jupiter's atmosphere. Not funny....

Bill LeClere

Reaction score
I've had the same problem...no course data available and I check and re-check to make sure the MFDs are shared.:dry:

EJ316

Reaction score
I miss Orbiter, I really need to get a new computer so that I can get back into space!

I remember my first trip to Europa, at least I think it was Europa. It was definitely one of the Galilean moons. Anyway, it didn't end too well, with me smashing into the surface at some ridiculous speed. I never did attempt that mission again.

ar81

Reaction score
Website
www.orbithangar.com
I've had the same problem...no course data available and I check and re-check to make sure the MFDs are shared.:dry:

If I remember correctly, course screen must be set first, before you set the other screen has it selected. Else, data is not passed. I recall it happened to me once a long time ago. I think the solution was to setup Course screen before selecting course in other MFD.