Turning on NASSP Lunar Landmarks?

Wedge313

Reaction score
Hi, I'm working the Apollo 11 scenario. I just arrived in lunar orbit, and I can't figure out how to turn on the landmark cues (the ones that show crater names and landing sites). I'm running Orbiter 2016 Beta and NASSP 8. I did the Apollo 8 scenario using Orbiter 2016, and had no trouble displaying the markers, but I can't remember how to get them to show up. Thanks.

ggalfi

Reaction score
I don't know the answer your question. However, my suggestion is not to use landmark markers, even if you find a way to turn them on. It is much more fun to recognize them visually. For that, the high resolution elevation and surface textures of Moon (LOD12-13, downloadable from Orbiter's main site) need to be installed. Also you will need a high quality map of the Moon, for that purpose I use the LROC Quickmap. On this, you can easily find landmarks by lat-long coords. Please be aware that in Apollo days, a bit different selenographic coord sys was used, so the landmark coords what you find in the original docs (e.g. flight plans), are off with a few hundred meters. In the quickmap, you can also see the names of the landmarks, just turn on Layers->Overlays->Nomenclature. With this method, I am usually able to find a landmark in the sextant if it is larger than circa 100 meter.

Thespacer

Reaction score
The problem is not limited to your system, I think the lack of landmarks is a function of the Orbiter Beta.

While initially a bit frustrating, it is actually a great opportunity to utilize the high quality textures, and increase realism, as ggalfi notes. It is actually quite enjoyable (for me at least) to recognize some of the lunar features. If listening to the Apollo 11 audio transcript, you can hear the crew recognize the various craters and features, particularly those that they would eventually utilize to assist them when “heads-down” and in the PDI phase, to figure out if they were on course and long/short.

The following are some hyperlinks to satellite imagery of some of the landmarks Collins used for P22 purposes:
A1: https://history.nasa.gov/afj/ap11fj/pics/landmark-a1.jpg
130 (later renamed Collins): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Collins_(crater)

Wedge313

Reaction score
Thanks. I guess I'll spend some quality time looking out the windows. The sights will be spectacular once I get this dang LM undocked, it's blocking the view.