Request UCGO Recovery Ships

TitanII

Reaction score

Not quite yet. Looking into UCGO for the choppers, carriers and gemini spacecraft. It should improve the realism over the current SC3 configurations.

I think that is a Sea King modified. That is Titan II's work. I have PM so I can make a dll for it and the ships.

That is actually Saturn V's work. The original model was done by Kev Shanow & retextured by Saturn V, along with some additional modifications that were specific to the Gemini recovery sequences. Saturn V had back surgery last year and can no longer sit at a computer long enough to finish that project, so the torch was passed to me.

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
If you send me the meshes... Ican make a dll for it just like the sea king

TitanII

Reaction score
Would you be able to implement the recovery basket or a horse collar on the winches because currently it attaches to the astronauts' suit harness? It works, but not very realistically. The choppers can also only recover one astronaut at a time with the current (SC3) configuration.

I'm also trying to reduce the poly count on the carriers without losing too much detail.

Saturn V also configured the airwings on the carrier as payloads (they dont go anywhere, just done that way so there'd be some variation in the scenarios without creating a different carrier model for each one).

Are these factors a problem if they're set up as UCGO vessels?

I'm also guessing that the ship the astronauts are being recovered from has to be UCGO as well (sorry, I'm not too familiar with UCGO parameters)?

GSD.jpg

Last edited:

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Would you be able to implement the recovery basket or a horse collar on the winches because currently it attaches to the astronauts' suit harness? It works, but not very realistically. The choppers can also only recover one astronaut at a time with the current (SC3) configuration.
Yes. They would have to made as vessel It would have a child point and parent point.

Not sure how you do recover any as they would fall off as soon as you dettach.

TitanII

Reaction score
Yes. They would have to made as vessel It would have a child point and parent point.

Not sure how you do recover any as they would fall off as soon as you dettach.

The attachment point is currently a hook at the end of the winch cable. Once the astronaut is recovered, the hook (with astronaut attached) is rotated into the helicopter. Since the hook is part of the helicopter mesh, and the astronaut is attached to it, he doesn't fall back into the water. He's not actually detached, just moved inside, but that's why you can only recover one astronaut at a time with this configuration.

I have to look at some of my Gemini video to see which (basket or horse collar) is correct.

And the Gemini vessel does need to be UCGO as well, correct?

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
And the Gemini vessel does need to be UCGO as well, correct?

No I you want them to do eva then just UMMU.

I think you could have either the basket or the horsecollar. On a base attach the collar or basket to the hook. Lower away and then attach to the astronaut and raise away.

One thing that might work is if docked in flight. then you could transfer from the collar to the copter?

TitanII

Reaction score
No I you want them to do eva then just UMMU.

The recovery addon was intended as a supplement to Gemini 4.5, but the spashdown/recovery sequence required a separate Gemini model because the hatch opening, marker dye dispersal and floatation collar/liferaft deployment were not coded into Gemini 4.5.

There's no EVA per se, just picking up the astronauts, which are separate meshes (with attachment points).

I think you could have either the basket or the horsecollar. On a base attach the collar or basket to the hook. Lower away and then attach to the astronaut and raise away.

I'll take your word for it since I'm not familiar with UCGO/UMMU. I've flown Orbiter for many years, but the extent of my addon making was helping Saturn V with the meshes & texturing.

One thing that might work is if docked in flight. then you could transfer from the collar to the copter?

Again, not quite sure what you mean, but it it works, that's good enough for me. IIRC, Mercury 5.0 required something along those lines. Seemed somewhat confusing & unrealistic, but that may have just been the limitations of Orbiter at that time.

Now that you mention it, if everything comes together with the Gemini recovery project, the helicopters, carrier & destroyer would have applications for quite a few other Orbiter addons (Mercury included, but I don't know how many folks still use Orbiter 2006 since Mercury does not work very well in 2010. Were UCGO/UMMU compatible with 2006?)

Since the carrier/destroyer, helicopters, Gemini & astronauts are all inter-related and must all work together, I guess you will need the meshes/textures, configurations and scenarios for ALL of them to set it up properly?

And how will adding UCGO/UMMU affect the operation of the models as set up in the SC3 configurations?

Last edited:

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I will give it a try. So on the Gemini the astronauts are just meshes and not Evaed people. So they are placed there at the start?

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
OK. That might pose an issue. Then you might be back to 1 person.

In theory what I was thinking. MAke docking points for the basket or collar. Have it so if the Ummu enters the airlock for either a mesh is shown. Then haul them up to the copter. Then dock and transfer to the copter. then the collar/basket shows no person. Yoy could also show a person in the copter representing that rescued person. The docking part is the one thing I am not sure if it would work. All I would need would be meshes of the collar/basket/crew

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
It works. I took the cage mesh and removed the diver. Then build a dll for the cage that basically if a person is on board show that diver if no one then no diver. I think it might be possible to add more ummu meshes so if a Capt Ummu was on board then it might show a Capt UMMU,.... One would just need to make the mesh.

Then added a dock to both the Sea King and Cage. Now if docked even on the ground. Open both airlocks and transfer the ummu into/out of the Sea king. Make sure you undock (CTRL D) before dettaching the cage.

The cage isn't large enough to put a UCGO crate.

SEAKINGDOCKEDCAGE.jpg

SEAKINGDOCKEDCAGE1.jpg

Attachments

• SEAKINGCAGE.zip
    117.1 KB · Views: 9

TitanII

Reaction score
PMed you with some info. Will be in touch this weekend as work allows, but FWIW, the basket or horse collar would only need to retrieve the astronauts and the diver, no cargo pallets.

Want to make sure I'm clear on this...retrieving multiple crew members and the diver does not appear to be a problem?

Last edited:

Interceptor

Reaction score
Gattispilot,could you add another bigger cargo net,or cage to attach UCGO to the helicopter,just a suggestion,BTW great work.Thanks

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
how big? You have to not raise the attached item to high or it will hit the copter.

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Also with the Skycrane I modified one of the Cargo boxes to hold 6 UCGO crates. It has an attachment point.

You can use the cage for UMMu pick up.

Interceptor

Reaction score
gattispilot,are you planning on releasing a complete working version for this addon,or is it going to be as is?

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
gattispilot,are you planning on releasing a complete working version for this addon,or is it going to be as is?

I think it would make sense to bundle this with the UMMU helicopters and release it on Orbitahangar mods, as a mission recovery package. Then just list all of the mesh sources as required downloads. That shouldnt violate the intellectual property issue should it?

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I guess so. If someone want to write a scenario(s) that would be great.

On the ship I need to fix the thruster issue. Any other ideas,...