Ultimate sim pit dreams

cjp

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I've read a bit on this forum about building simpits, and I wondered how far an amateur can go in building a simpit.

So far I don't have the room for the plans I present here, so for now it's nothing more than dreams. I'd like to discuss it here so that people with different levels of expertise can have a look at it.

The basic idea of a simpit is to have an instrument panel and a very big screen. I'd like to know whether it's possible to add simulation of G-forces, in the same way as professional simulators do it (by rotating the simpit).

I think the important thing here is to visually close the sim pit, so that the rotation is not visible from the pilot view. This way, the pilot's brain will hopefully interpret the changed direction of gravity as caused by acceleration.

To make it practical for an amateur, in terms of power consumption and safety, the actuators should be as low-power as possible. The most important force in the construction is the weight of the simpit, and I found a way to make sure it doesn't have to be supported by actuators. My idea is to balance the simpit on a single pole, which is connected to the bottom of the simpit with a joint (2-DOF, allowing pitch and roll). By attaching counter-weights to the sim-pit, located around the pole, the COG of simpit+pilot+counterweights can be placed close to the joint (for stability, a bit below the joint actually). This way, the actuators (located around the simpit) don't have to carry the weight, independent of the orientation of the simpit.

The disadvantage of this approach is that it requires extra height below the simpit. I still need to figure out whether it will fit within a single floor (which is an important practical requirement).

To keep the weight down, I had the idea of using a small beamer instead of a real screen. a head mounted display would be even lighter, and way cooler, and has the advantage of supplying stereo vision. A disadvantage is that I don't know how to find a good and cheap (compared to beamer) HMD. Also, I'm not sure how to measure head movements accurately.

Stereo vision may also be accomplished with a beamer combined with glasses that periodically close for a single eye. The advantage of stereo vision is that it may be combined with another idea of me to reduce weight and complexity: not have a real instrument panel, but have a virtual one instead. A real plane of some form should be present, to give sensory feed-back to the fingers, and to contain some sort of touch-screen input device. In the case of using beamer stereo vision, it should be transparent, so that it doesn't block the screen.

Computers may double as counter-weights. Batteries may also be good counterweights. I thought of using batteries to make sure that short high-current peaks from the actuators don't overload a normal power supply.

I think it's about time to see what kind of budget is needed for this machine.

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Why build a simpit?

tl8

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
I want to build something along these lines too. I was thinking of building mine in a gyroscope way instead of using LAs. Then my magor cost would be in the motors required to drive it. By contrast most of the electronics behind it are quite simple.

Basically once I have a frame built and powered, the most expensive part is pretty much done. I would also expect most of the cost to go into these components.

I was thinking about $10k for all the electronics, PCs, cockpit, panels,displays etc and maybe 5-10k for the frame and motors to power it. The major cost will be the motors (Big ones will be expensive) and bearings.

I have a few ideas, but if they are realistic or not is a different story.

Oh size-wise, I was thinking 2 person wide with provisions for a third behind the centre console

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Most cheap Beamers have extremely short life-time before you need to do a expensive replacement of the light bulb.

Building a hexapod might be more effort for mobility, but you could get more stability with it, the cheap solution of you has the risk that the loads on the actuators varies with the CoG position of the pit. You would need pneumatics anyway, since electric actuators are nowhere fast and strong enough for that task. And the actuators are really the cheapest part of any pneumatic system.

The real step in complexity between your solution and a hexapod is the control software. But at least, you can get many papers on hexapod motion controllers over public sources.

(more to come, after I had lunch)

cjp

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I'm increasingly starting to like the head mounted display option. No big screen required, just a chair, the pilot, the HMD, a roll cage, some hardware for head tracking(*), and an instrument panel with some touch sensors (doesn't even have to be transparent).

How about a setup that hangs on cables? The cables could go in a (half-)loop around the simpit, so that a force from one side is compensated by a force from the other side, and the whole system is always in equilibrium. Also in the loop would be a device to maintain the right tension in the cable (if necessary), and a motor to move the cable and rotate the simpit. When it comes to safety, I don't want to be strangled by a cable, and snapping cables shouldn't cause any danger.

I'm a bit afraid for pneumatics. How noisy / dirty is it going to be?

(*) If this is not already available out-of-the-box, I'm thinking of using some cheap web cams and some markers, together with computer vision software.

TSPenguin

The Seeker
Reaction score
I'm thinking of using some cheap web cams and some markers, together with computer vision software.

I am doing that right now. Works best with IR LEDs and a webcam without IR filter.
WiiMotes are very good for the job too.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I'm a bit afraid for pneumatics. How noisy / dirty is it going to be?

Relatively noisy, but clean. Pneumatics are even used in clean rooms.

The worst noise source will be the compressor though, and this can be insulated. valves and actuators produce only silent noises.

The key problem with the HMD will be the motion sickness you will amplify with it. Full HMDs (which are not just painting symbols in the sky) are pretty unpopular, because of the headache and nausea they cause after a while.

If you are smart, you develop a modular simpit, which you can adapt for a new spacecraft in minutes.

cjp

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
The key problem with the HMD will be the motion sickness you will amplify with it. Full HMDs (which are not just painting symbols in the sky) are pretty unpopular, because of the headache and nausea they cause after a while.

If you are smart, you develop a modular simpit, which you can adapt for a new spacecraft in minutes.

I want to be able to use it with different spacecraft, or even different classes of vehicles (aircraft, cars, ...). The most important mechanical adaptation is probably to be able to easily replace instrument panels and controls.

What would be needed to fix the 'headache and nausea' issue on HMDs?

• I guess the optical distance to the image needs to be large, so you don't have to focus your eyes
  • It has to respond naturally and fast enough to eye and head movements.
  • Stereo geometry has to be calibrated accurately
What is the best alternative to a HMD? A beamer(*)? How to implement the instrument panels? Physically, or with my 'virtual instrument panel' idea?

(*) Actually, I found that 'video projector' is the proper English term. 'Beamer' is more a sort of Dutch/German English.