Project Universal Astronaut and Cargo System (UACS)

Abdullah Radwan

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Universal Astronaut and Cargo System (UACS) is a free, open-source astronaut and cargo management system for the Orbiter space simulator. It provides a rich API for add-on developers to support UACS in their creations.

Download from GitHub repository: https://github.com/abdullah-radwan/UACS

It's currently in alpha state. It lacks documents, but I am working on these now. I am looking for testing and feedback on the API. The API is documented.

To get started, download from the releases section and open the Moon base scenario. Navigate the astronaut using the Numpad keys. ShuttlePB shortcuts are shown in the HUD. For the astronaut, Alt+ M moves through the HUD modes of which there are 2 HUDs that detail all shortcuts.

Last edited:

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I am playing around with this:
d3d9 linear
EP2klQy.jpg

the cargo and guy seem a little above the ground
d3d9 cubic
L0wKYe0.jpg

Linear seems to be the way to go.

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Be aware that the D3D9 client flattening feature works only with "linear interpolation". So with "cubic" you'll likely have such problem around surface bases.

WolfAngriff

The NSEU (Never Satisfied End User)
Reaction score
OK i need to ask : what's an API ??? :rolleyes:

JMW

Aspiring Addon Developer
Reaction score
Astro2.png
I increased your height in Astronaut.cfg from 1.228 to 1.828, but just seems to have given you a lift :giggle: ??

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Makes me want to get THE LER going again:
GpmN6bI.jpg

In UMMU for 2010 to transfer crew you had to be docked but in 2010 you could be landed and docked.

Will you be able to trasfer crew? In real life the LER would move to the airlock and the guys could move in and out . But you really don't want to exit and go to the ground

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
View attachment 29610
I increased your height in Astronaut.cfg from 1.228 to 1.828, but just seems to have given you a lift :giggle: ??

Are you sure those are meters and not an arbitrary scale ? In Orbiter by convention "SCALE 1.2" means "upscale mesh by x1.2 (factor)", and not "upscale to 1.2 meters (unit of lenght)".

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Maybe it was planned to have Peter Dinklage as astronaut. Why always this discrimination against small astronauts?

n72.75

Move slow and try not to break too much.
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
mwhume.space
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
How married are you to GPL3?

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I think the Height setting is the Alt. I loaded the guy in meshwizard and the bottom of the foort is 1.228. I found on the moon scn he was above the surface. But Alt of 1.03 put him at the surface

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I think the Height setting is the Alt. I loaded the guy in meshwizard and the bottom of the foort is 1.228. I found on the moon scn he was above the surface. But Alt of 1.03 put him at the surface

I remember a couple of add-ons that worked that way (Velcro Rockets namely...)

Abdullah Radwan

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Makes me want to get THE LER going again:

In UMMU for 2010 to transfer crew you had to be docked but in 2010 you could be landed and docked.

Will you be able to trasfer crew? In real life the LER would move to the airlock and the guys could move in and out . But you really don't want to exit and go to the ground
To simulate real life, you can move the LER very close to the habitat door, then ingress the astronauts from inside the habitat. I think this should work.
Are you sure those are meters and not an arbitrary scale ? In Orbiter by convention "SCALE 1.2" means "upscale mesh by x1.2 (factor)", and not "upscale to 1.2 meters (unit of lenght)".
The height parameter in the Config\Vessels\UACS\Astronauts\Astronaut.cfg file is in meters. It sets the astronaut's elevation while walking on ground and the touchdown points. Normally it should be set to the lowest point (foot) in the mesh as gattispilot said. By increasing the height, you aren't changing the mesh or scaling, but like adding invisible legs.
How married are you to GPL3?
I don't know a whole lot about licenses. I simply chose GPLv3 because I think it's the main license for open-source projects, but I don't mind any license. Which license do you suggest?

Abdullah Radwan

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Given that you said in PM the altitude is correct on Mars but not on the Moon, that most likely means you have an issue with the Moon elevation and surface data.

Last edited:

francisdrake

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
francisdrakex.deviantart.com
Thanks for taking on such an interesting project!

I see a bit of a challenge with the user interface:
Shift-Key commands are used for control. Normally Shift-Key commands are reserved for MFD's.
The UACS intercepts these commands, so MFD operation with keys is not possible.

Proposal: Use Alt-Key commands.

To my knowledge Alt-Key is unused, while Unmodified-Keys and Ctrl-Keys are used for vessel commands.