Project Universal Car for Orbiter (UCO)

dumbo2007

Crazy about real time sims
Reaction score
No ...I do not mean that the tyre should not have any air inside. I am saying that the air pressure required inside to lift up the rover's weight may tear the rubber. So if that happens then we need tougher material than rubber - that is also equally lightweight and flexible - to hold in the pressure.

The reason why Apollo rovers didnt have rubber tyres is that the amount of rubber required to hold in the air pressure(that supports the rover's weight) is too heavy. But yeah even if heavier tyres were allowed the air pressure would not need to be increased further as there would be nothing acting on the tyre surface from outside.

Last edited:

Balladeer

Reaction score
Thanks Dan for the great addon and all your hard work. I've also always enjoyed your comprehensive scenarios to teach us what's there and how to work it.:cheers:

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
My Physics module says that if there is no air in the tyre it will not hold up any weight and the more weight you put on the tyres the flatter they get.....but I better check that !!

But yeah I agree that the tyres could be inflatable - only that the pressure difference between inside the tyre and outside would be quite high and so you would need really strong rubber to hold in the pressure - that may mean adding more rubber - unless the tyre uses some very strong material.

So you take a page from the Shuttle book and use N2.

Bergotronic

Reaction score
Dan - this is an amazing piece of work. This has inspired me to take a look at the sdk to add more items using your framework. I hope you stay with the orbiter community and keep making amazing additions. Every think about adding a paypal donation to your website? The hours I have already spent using your addons are defiantly worth a contribution. Thanks again!

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Dan gave me this code to generate an atmosphere for a coded vessel. It works great. Except if you exit the scenario with the ummu suit off in the generated atmosphere and restart the scenario he dies. I guess it doesn't have enough time to generate an atmosphere. Any way around that except back sure suits on when exiting the scenario.

Code:
in clbkPostStep:

if(GetAltitude()<11)
    {
        UpdateOnly2TimePerSecond+=simdt;
        if(UpdateOnly2TimePerSecond<1)
            return;
        UpdateOnly2TimePerSecond=0;
        double longitude=0;
        double latitude=0;
        double radius=0;
        GetEquPos (longitude,latitude,radius); // Get our position
        VECTOR3 th={longitude,latitude,560};
        if(GetAltitude()>5)
            th.z=0;
        SetRotDrag (th);
    }
}

Arrowstar

Probenaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Dan gave me this code to generate an atmosphere for a coded vessel. It works great. Except if you exit the scenario with the ummu suit off in the generated atmosphere and restart the scenario he dies. I guess it doesn't have enough time to generate an atmosphere. Any way around that except back sure suits on when exiting the scenario.

Code:
in clbkPostStep:

if(GetAltitude()<11)
    {
        UpdateOnly2TimePerSecond+=simdt;
        if(UpdateOnly2TimePerSecond<1)
            return;
        UpdateOnly2TimePerSecond=0;
        double longitude=0;
        double latitude=0;
        double radius=0;
        GetEquPos (longitude,latitude,radius); // Get our position
        VECTOR3 th={longitude,latitude,560};
        if(GetAltitude()>5)
            th.z=0;
        SetRotDrag (th);
    }
}

I don't know anything about the Orbiter API, but I would think that your guy is dying because the atmosphere is getting created after the first step, and maybe his death is being evaluated in the step itself. Could you put his code in the pre-Step function, if there is such a thing? Would that help things?

orbiterizmad

Reaction score
Hey dan,
Can you tell me how you can load and dock a DG-IV onto the arrow freighter because i just downloaded the thing last night.

Thanks!!!

Tommy

Reaction score
You could use the scenario editor to create a DGIV and set it to be docked to the Arrow, or you can open the docking bay doors and dock somewhat like normal. You can even "cheat" and fly the DGIV right through the back or the Arrow since collision detection isn't implemented, but it's more realistic to approach from underneath the Arrow and null relative velocity when you are about 5 - 10 meters short of the docking port, translate upwards until aligned, then close that last bit to dock.

nicker43

Reaction score
I've posted this question on Dan Steph's forum, but haven't gotten any replies. While developing the RWarp MFD, I've added some basic requirements of having a RWarpCap cargo installed to use the warp drive. This works okay with vessels that use attachments, since I can query the cargo through the Orbiter API. But for ships that use UCGO, the cargo only exists as a mesh. Is there a way to get a pointer to the UCGO class of the vessel? If not currently, this is a a feature request for future versions of UCGO, since only the vessel has access to the UCGO information.

tblaxland

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Webmaster
Reaction score
I've posted this question on Dan Steph's forum, but haven't gotten any replies. While developing the RWarp MFD, I've added some basic requirements of having a RWarpCap cargo installed to use the warp drive. This works okay with vessels that use attachments, since I can query the cargo through the Orbiter API. But for ships that use UCGO, the cargo only exists as a mesh. Is there a way to get a pointer to the UCGO class of the vessel? If not currently, this is a a feature request for future versions of UCGO, since only the vessel has access to the UCGO information.
You can only get the UCGO class handle if the vessel developer is kind enough to provide you with some means of accessing it, eg, by exporting it from the dll directly or by exporting a function that returns the handle. The way UCGO is written, there is no way for UCGO to force developers to provide such functionality. UCGO would need to be re-written to wrap the VESSEL2 class, like how it is done with Kulch's Payload Manager.

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I fixed it by using the ummu f10 fuction and made permanent base cfg. The only problem would be if someone moved the base.

I don't know anything about the Orbiter API, but I would think that your guy is dying because the atmosphere is getting created after the first step, and maybe his death is being evaluated in the step itself. Could you put his code in the pre-Step function, if there is such a thing? Would that help things?

ezelite

Reaction score
Is it possible to create a UCGO spawner? I would like a scenario where every so often new cargo will spawn in a yard, up to a maximum number of say 20 units. The objective could be then to stock up another yard, which will then start creating more cargo. No fancy mesh work or anything, I was just wondering if it would be possible. This would be like a mining base generating raw material, which can then be deposited to a refinery, which then outputs the refined minerals depending on how much was brought in. It would be even better if the "yard" could be defined by dropping a beacon, as this would act as a "mining machine". A scenario could involve dropping several of these on a moon, waiting until they have finished, picking up the units and dropping them off at the refinery. For every 20 cargos picked up this could generate 2 refined cargos. The process could be repeated ad infinitum, and could almost serve as a sort of "Orbiter Campaign Mode" for the creation of LOX, Fuel, Bases and Farms. Its better than colonising the solar system from within notepad:)

Last edited:

Bj

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-forum.com
Is it possible to create a UCGO spawner? I would like a scenario where every so often new cargo will spawn in a yard, up to a maximum number of say 20 units.

The objective could be then to stock up another yard, which will then start creating more cargo. No fancy mesh work or anything, I was just wondering if it would be possible.

Actually there was a 'miner' addon being developed;
http://orbiter-forum.com/showthread.php?t=13880&

At some point it was down-loadable (because I have it on my computer) but I cannot find it anymore on OH or on the thread.

Ashaman42

Reaction score
Buzz313th and I made the UCGO miner that was on OH, I coded and Buzz made the meshes/textures.

Unfortunately buzz asked me not to distribute the miner via OH so I had to take it down, I did intend to make my own mesh and texture but got quite busy at work and it fell by the wayside.

I'm back in an orbitery mood now though so hopefully in a week or two I will get the miner back up and then make a refinery to go with it.

Ok, the miner is uploaded to OH, just waiting on approval. Thanks to Buzz313th for letting me keep his mesh and textures in place. Hopefully I have uploaded the proper release version, had a hard drive shuffle a while ago but think I've got the right version.

Now to have a look at making a refinery (that will use the rock the miner generates) to produce ore/metal.

Last edited: