Using H2O2 as a propellant

twister

Reaction score
Helllo everyone! Im getting into rockets and would like to ask a serious question.

Im using h202 @ 50% concentration and creating a very small rocket. About the size of a hand. Just for research on this monoprollent. It will be pressurized through a self pressurized container but what is concerning me is the MSDS says the vapor is corrosive and could be very harmful to the lungs.

If it were to decompose with a catalyst would the vapor coming from the rocket be dangerous from a close observation? Even though it would break down into oxygen and steam?

any help is appreciated :)

ED_4

Whovian/Star Trekker/Pinoy
Reaction score
Helllo everyone! Im getting into rockets and would like to ask a serious question.

Im using h202 @ 50% concentration and creating a very small rocket. About the size of a hand. Just for research on this monoprollent. It will be pressurized through a self pressurized container but what is concerning me is the MSDS says the vapor is corrosive and could be very harmful to the lungs.

If it were to decompose with a catalyst would the vapor coming from the rocket be dangerous from a close observation? Even though it would break down into oxygen and steam?

any help is appreciated :)

You're better off posting this on the Backyard Rocketry forum. Where more likely the ones that deal with things like this are hanging out.

dbeachy1

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
alteaaerospace.com
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
O-F Staff Note: thread moved to Backyard Rocketry and renamed to 'Using H2O2 as a propellant'.

n72.75

Move slow and try not to break too much.
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
mwhume.space
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
Silver is a good catalyst.

Tommy

Reaction score
If it were to decompose using a catalyst, it can pick up impurities from the catalyst. Also, you can get some pure hydrogen released, which can be corrosive.

However, the amounts you'll be using are small, and you will (I assume) be launching outdoors - and from a safe distance incase of CATO. Shouldn't be a problem. Heck, I always seem to hold my breath during a launch anyway!

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
I would be more worried about the engine overheating and failing than the vapors. It was a challenge that Armadillo Aerospace never quite solved for their X-Prize craft.

twister

Reaction score
perfect thank you! I am pretty close to the testing apparatus though, so is there a way to filter the hazardous vapor? I understand that it is the oxygen free radicals that are dangerous to us. Would there be a way to filter this or make them less dangerous?

RocketMan_Len

Reaction score
If you make the oxidizer 'less dangerous' it wouldn't be very effective... :p

When hydrogen peroxide decomposes, it breaks down into water vapour and monatomic oxygen at high temperatures. The vapours themselves aren't all that dangerous... but their associated high temperature IS. Which is why, when handling peroxide, it is recommended that protective suits and face-shields are worn.

However - at the 50% concentration you say you will be using, the danger is not all that bad... be careful and you should be fine. (Now, if you were using 95% H2O2, you would want to be taking more appropriate precautions...)

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Considering this for a Rocket design of my own, and I was just wondering how you got 50% concentration H2O2. I would assume the obvious way, just heat to boil off some of the water in the solution?